IGNORED

opinions on these nicknames

la di dah

Boys: Leo, Ike, Ned, Zach, Nate, Gav, Gabe, Remy, Ellie, Theo, Izzy

Girls: Tess, CC, Kit, Dot, Goldie, Vivi, Andie, Ivie, Flick, Polly, Katy, Bette, Rory

Favourite and least favourite of each?

I like a long name with a nickname. Some of these are short for the most predictable option and some I've gone a bit more odd.

I know most typically Rory is for boys and Ellie is for girls, I said what I said. :ninja:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• la di dah

• riotproof

• Ker

• Kiwi Bicycle

Top Posters In This Topic

Rory is probably more for girls after Gilmore Girls.

I have heard Ellie for boys - short for Elijah.

Boys - Theo for me. Gav is my least favourite.

Girls - Andie is the pick. Least favourite is Dot.

I think Rory is more a boys name than girls in Australia, might be different elsewhere.

Fav boys Leo least favourite Nate/Gav it’s a tie.

Fav girls I don’t love any. Maybe Tess? Don’t mind Ivy but I’d spell it like that.

I like Ivy as it's own name but was trying to get a pronunciation like "Evie" from a name that's pronounced like Evie but starts with Iv-

And I think it may be too hard.

I think so.

Nicknames are hard to plan for at the best of times.

Dd has three different variations of nicknames, only one is traditional with her name and two a more Australian style.

Oh yeah I get that, my son was meant to be Bastian or Baz, which I still think are nice for a bigger boy or grown man, but he is very small and squishy and looks like a Sebby and he isn't going to outgrow it so Seb/Sebby he is.

It's just because I like a long name and a nickname I want to be sure I like at least one nickname that isn't too implausible. That they may go on to pick one I hate when they're 15 is unavoidable lol, I certainly did that to my mom.

Kiwi Bicycle

I like Ivy as it's own name but was trying to get a pronunciation like "Evie" from a name that's pronounced like Evie but starts with Iv-

And I think it may be too hard.

It actually annoyed me to met a little boy called Ivan, but his parents insisted on pronoucing it E- van. Stop screwing up pronoucantion of vowels and just spell it Evan.

It actually annoyed me to met a little boy called Ivan, but his parents insisted on pronoucing it E- van. Stop screwing up pronoucantion of vowels and just spell it Evan.

Ivan is traditionally said with an ee- in at least a couple languages and doesn't sound like Evan? It's ee-vonn not eh-ven.

Letter i says ee in a lot of names I like. Liora would look weird spelled Leeora.

As in a long E sound? I knew someone years ago named Ivan with more of a long "e" sound, I believe it was the Russian pronunciation.

DD's name is pronounced differently depending on where people are from. There are often variations in how names are pronounced.

I am thinking Ivelisse is too hard but I also don't want to respell it as I was part of the draw and "Ivelisse" is the most common spelling so it's not like weirding out would make it easier.

It's just so pretty though and I liked the initial and the meanings.

I loved the movie "Dot and the Kangaroo" when I was a child, so I also enjoy the nickname "Dot". However, I now live in FNQ. "Dot" means "orifice" up here.

Eve-a-leese. I've occasionally seen it spelt Yvelisse or similar which one of my friends says clarifies a "Yvette and Elise hybrid" but that's a rarer form.

Silverstreak

Rory could be a nickname for Aurora, which is beautiful.

I think you might be out of luck nicknaming a boy Ellie, I think he'll put a stop to that by primary school. I'd do Eli for Elijah, personally.

Jane Jetson

I like names with good solid nicknames too - sadly the one we always called DD2 is not the same as the one her friends call her! Ah well.

Boys

Like: Ike, Zach

Don't like: Gav (too many Gavins in my classes in the 80s lol), Ned

Girls

Like: Goldie, Ivie, Bette

Don't like: None of them are hideous, but probably Tess and Rory the least favourite

Rory could be a nickname for Aurora, which is beautiful.

Yes I love it for Aurora and also for Rosemary. Spouse is likelier to get onboard with Aurora, I think.

Guest Alias Grace

Boys favourites are Leo, Ned and Gabe. Not so keen on Gav or Ellie.

Girls favourites are Vivi and Kit, followed by Polly and Katy. Not so keen on Tess, CC or Bette.

I love Vivi for a girl. I have a Danish friend for whom that is her full name, not a nickname. But I love it as short for Vivienne or Vivien or Vivian.

For a boy I really like Ned.

Kerilyntaryn21

I like Leo as a nn and standalone name, Ned, Zach, Gav, Gabe, Theo are all ok. Ike is more American, Remy is ok as a standalone name and nn, I don't really like Ellie and Izzy for boys

Tess, Vivi, Polly and Katy or Katie are ok as nn,

I don't like cc, kit, Goldie, andi , ivie, flick, bette, Rory. I think Rory is more a boys name

Favourite Tess, least Ike

Boys: Leo, Ike, Ned, Zach, Nate, Gav, Gabe, Remy, Ellie, Theo, Izzy

Girls: Tess, CC, Kit, Dot, Goldie, Vivi, Andie, Ivie, Flick, Polly, Katy, Bette, Rory

Favourite and least favourite of each?

I like a long name with a nickname. Some of these are short for the most predictable option and some I've gone a bit more odd.

I know most typically Rory is for boys and Ellie is for girls, I said what I said. :ninja:

Advertisement