IGNORED

How did you choose your baby name/s?

Seayork2002

I am putting it here as it may help people choose but also a bit fluffy as well

DH had a family first name in mind for a boy but said it was up to me but up until the night before I went into to hospital with what turned out to be a boy we were looking into baby names in the internet but could not find any better so he has that

we both joint came up with a girls name but won't be needing to use it now

My brother was named after my mum and step dad could not decide so they watched a film and picked one off the credits at the end

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lallalla

• Chchgirl

• Mooguru

• ClaudiaCosette

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I love kids names and the story behind them.

I picked my daughter's name about a year before I fell pregnant. A few other choices came up during my pregnancy but so glad I stuck with my original choice.

I chose Alexandra for her first name. I love long names that can be shortened, she gets Ally, Alex and Lexie as nm. I like that its a traditional/known name that isn't particularly popular at the moment (outside the top 200). My name was popular for my generation, so wanted something a little less common for her. Its also the name of a favorite book character of mine.

Her middle name is Dawn. Its both her great grandmother's middle name and my online handle. I also wanted to avoid common middle names like Rose, Anne, etc.

:)

DH and I each made a list from a baby name book. We settled on 3 final contenders ( as we knew the sex) and chose a day or so after he was born. It happened to be my pick. The two others were Caiden and Benjamin ( which is a family name). I am glad we didn't go with these. DS's middle name is DH's surname. I wanted Nicholas as a middle name but it seemed fair as DS got my surname as his.

They were literally the only names we could agree on. And when I say agree, I mean "don't strongly dislike".

The only name we both actually really liked is DS2's name.

I picked out DD's name when I was about 12/13. It was the name of a main character in a book who was such a strong, fiery and determined person. I have an uncommon name and fell in love with the characters unique name so I made the decision back then if I ever had a girl, that would be her name. Luckily DH loved the name also and the rest is history!

ClaudiaCosette

I made lists of names I liked for DH to choose from. They also all have two middle names - all family names and/or names with significance to us.

Edited by TeaCat

ClaudiaCosette

Oh, I love kids names and the story behind them.

I picked my daughter's name about a year before I fell pregnant. A few other choices came up during my pregnancy but so glad I stuck with my original choice.

I chose Alexandra for her first name. I love long names that can be shortened, she gets Ally, Alex and Lexie as nm. I like that its a traditional/known name that isn't particularly popular at the moment (outside the top 200). My name was popular for my generation, so wanted something a little less common for her. Its also the name of a favorite book character of mine.

Her middle name is Dawn. Its both her great grandmother's middle name and my online handle. I also wanted to avoid common middle names like Rose, Anne, etc.

:)

What a beautiful name your DD has! Alexandra is one of my favourites.

We had a short list of names for both DD and DS but there weren’t many we agreed on. Boys names were surprisingly much harder than girls.

For both, we each had a preferred name. For DD, DH’s preferred name just suited her even though I hadn’t been super keen on it to start with. DS has my preferred name, so it all worked out fair in the end!

We had a long list of names, then a shortee list and then 3 names, she came out and it became immediately clear she wasn’t one of them, we couldn’t decide between the other 2, decided to trial one and it stuck.

For the twins we had a similar process to start, except I was secretly calling one of them one of the names in my head for ages before she was born. My partner had a favourite name but my sister vetoed it (long story, we decided it wasn’t worth the angst), then at last minute we added a name back to list that we had discounted very early in process back when we realised we both liked it. That is the name we went with. If I’d had more time to think about it I probably would have vetoed it. It is a very old beautiful name that has family links for us, but also was climbing the popularity lists at the time (I didn’t realise) and a very similar sounding but actually different name in a very popular show inspired a lot of that, and she isn’t named after that character, but I have been asked about it a lot.

And yet, I can’t imagine her as anything else and I still love her name. She isn’t the vetoed name, it would not have suited, or the other shortlist names we discarded.

So maybe we didn’t need to overthink the names after all

Should have included, the other twin ended up with the name I’d been calling her all along. They couldn’t have been the other way around either. If they had come out the other way around I would have had to swap her name to her sister.

I randomly chose my oldest daughter's name when I was pregnant, a few people at work had the name for their kids and i liked it.

Second time when I was pregnant my dh chose a name he liked when he heard a sports person named it,

I didn't know what sex I was having both times. Ironically we never had a name for a boy each time!

With Ds1 I had a list and his name was the only one DH liked. We called him by that name from something like 14wks and when he came out there was no doubt that that was his name.

DS2 was nameless for a good month after he was born. To be fair he did surprise us by arriving at 35wks. But I also think subconsciously that after years of secondary infertility we didn’t want to get too attached just in case while we were pregnant. And then too shell shocked once he arrived. We did trial about 20 odd different names until we settled on one that felt right.

Both have middle names from each of the family.

I spent hours researching online, baby books etc. I came up with a short list. My husband did no research and suggested Megatron each time. We went through my lists, ruled out the names he didn't like and then picked from the remaining shortlists. We didn't pick sentimental/family names. We started calling each bub by their name from as soon as they were chosen (for my middle child at 13 weeks!) and didn't attempt at all to keep them a secret. Rather than having regrets, I love my kids names as much if not more now than when we we chose them.

Oh, and my husband does not believe AT ALL at waiting to see what a baby looks like. He says all babies look the same and they change so much anyway it is pointless. So all our babies were named by the time I was 24 weeks pregnant.

DS has the only boys name my husband liked. I know because I read an entire baby name book and most of the internet to him. Interestingly it was also my grandfather’s name.

DD1 has the only girls name my husband would agree too- sensing a theme here? It was I my top 2 so it worked out extremely well.

DD2 took a little longer. DH loved the name and was 100% convinced we were having a girl. She was our only surprise but I had a boys name I loved so we had that up our sleeve and the girls name took forever. We eventually decided a few weeks before she was born.

All three have two middle names, all of which are family names. So 9 names for 3 kids.

Oh I love naming stories! DD is named after a character in a book DH and I both love, as with a PP. She is a very inspiring heroine.

My sister was named after a regional newsreader iand my middle name was the name of my parents' Russian neighbour. My parents obviously had a (British) magpie approach to names, spotting something bright and shiny and filching it for their nest :)

My twin nieces were named by their big sister, true story. One has a South American name and her sister is Angel.

A dear friend named her son after her dying father in law and that was a very special gesture for him and his son, her husband.

Meanwhile my sister was talked out of her first choice name by her MIL and chose a more common variant which she hates now because her daughter has 3 others with the same name in her class.

One of my cousins was meant to be Sarah Anne but her father forgot her middle name at the registry office and literally plucked Marie from thin air. That's become a longstanding part of their family lore.

Oh, and my husband does not believe AT ALL at waiting to see what a baby looks like. He says all babies look the same and they change so much anyway it is pointless.

Neither did I, but I was surprised each time to find that our top boys names just didn’t feel right once we met each son.

Our short lists were chosen from the names left after each of us vetoed each other’s horrid horrid taste (his... my taste is excellent lol). We went to the hospital with a list of 4 boys names and 3 girls names (first time), and 4 boys names and just one girls name (second time).

My DSs’ middle names are family names. And they both have my DH’s surname.

We didn’t seem to think about it too much lol. We both liked the names we chose and didn’t even wait to see if they looked like their names. We chose classic names for our boys and they are perfectly suited to them. However boys names are easy for us. We disagree a bit when it comes to girls.

I loved DS's name since I was a kid.

DH vetoed it.

I told DH he wasn't allowed to veto it outright and basically wore him down over the next 6 months or so :lol:

We actually went into labour with a list of names then after he was born DH announced my name before I had a chance to think about it. I'm glad he did that, I think if I'd pushed for the name at that point, I'd have had lots of doubts re DHs feelings over the name and second guessing/ name regret as a result. When it came to it, he knew my strong preference but had 4 other names I'd agreed to and was happy with and it was absolutely his choice in that moment.

I didn’t know if I was having a boy child or girl child. I had names for both picked before I got pregnant. The male name was the same as a colleague who is just a lovely person, hard working, super smart (and I liked the name), so if my child turned out like him I’d be happy (I ruled out so many names I liked because they’d remind me of students I’d had, so a name I liked linked to a person I liked was a plus!). The middle name would have been my grandpa’s.

I then decided I no longer loved the girl name I had and settled on another name. Then someone in the IVF thread chose the exact same name (first and middle). I know I still could have used it, and it didn’t come off the list, but in the end I had a bunch of names on the girl short list. Once she came along I just started thinking of her as one of the names, so that’s what she got. It was the name I picked before I got pregnant. Her middle name is my Nana’s, and she is stoked about it. Nana is not the most outwardly loving person, but she gets out there and offers practical help, she’s pretty stealth about it, and she also gets out there and does things she wants to do, if no one wants to travel with her, or go to a gardening show (or wherever), she goes alone. I love that and hope my daughter can be the same.

Advertisement