IGNORED

The MLM Thread (We almost forgot about Poonique!)

Ozgirl

I remember when I was a kid (1980s) and Tupperware parties and Avon were a big thing with all the mums but no one was ever pressured to buy anything. Mainly it was just a good excuse for the mums to get together and have a drink or 20. Now it's all mainly online and the pressure to buy seems a lot more intense. Also remember going to a party about 10 years ago for those cleaning products that were very popular, can't remember the name of them but I didn't buy anything cause I was put off by the cultish attitude. It's not so much the products that are the problem but rather the people behind them and how they suck people in. I find those people to be a combination of being very desperate and highly arrogant.

• Like 1

Spidey_Senses

Seems to be a lot of reasonably sophisticated MLM bot accounts on fb! EG post 'How much weight do you want to lose PM me for details'. Somebody replies 'eff off marketing spam' and the bot replies 'thanks hon I have PMed you'

LOL.

They seem to be from UK but in an Australian group is a good giveaway...

• Haha 1

Seems to be a lot of reasonably sophisticated MLM bot accounts on fb! EG post 'How much weight do you want to lose PM me for details'. Somebody replies 'eff off marketing spam' and the bot replies 'thanks hon I have PMed you'

LOL.

They seem to be from UK but in an Australian group is a good giveaway...

You can always tell an MLM rep by the amount of hon's they use.

• Like 1

Givingitanothergo

There was an earlier post that they post a lot on social media and then disappear.. this is a what an old friend did. Constant posts and tutorials and get togethers with other members receiving their Mercedes. And now haven’t seen anything in yonks

Seayork2002

I remember when I was a kid (1980s) and Tupperware parties and Avon were a big thing with all the mums but no one was ever pressured to buy anything. Mainly it was just a good excuse for the mums to get together and have a drink or 20. Now it's all mainly online and the pressure to buy seems a lot more intense. Also remember going to a party about 10 years ago for those cleaning products that were very popular, can't remember the name of them but I didn't buy anything cause I was put off by the cultish attitude. It's not so much the products that are the problem but rather the people behind them and how they suck people in. I find those people to be a combination of being very desperate and highly arrogant.

Yeah my mum had heaps as did her friend's, I helped with the 1980's catering and cocktails it was well classy.

But it was just an excuse for a knee's up no pressure to buy

• Like 1

Societe skincare?

No doesnt look like it as it is sold at adore beauty.

The is a Societe associated with MLM. By a quick google. So not sure what you are referencing.

• 5 weeks later...
Not So Retro

Guys guys guys.

You can go to a "networking event" where you get to fake-laugh and take selfies with other women wearing playsuits and tiered skirts and mini-dresses with statement sleeves (whites and pastels only, thanks) while sipping "champers" and eating "delish" food while they lure you into the Juice Plus cult!!!

It's only $115. Should I sign up?

I'd pay $115 to stay home in my PJs with my pooches and cat, whilst laying on the lounge and eating Cheetos!
  • Like 1

LemonMyrtle

Guys guys guys.

You can go to a "networking event" where you get to fake-laugh and take selfies with other women wearing playsuits and tiered skirts and mini-dresses with statement sleeves (whites and pastels only, thanks) while sipping "champers" and eating "delish" food while they lure you into the Juice Plus cult!!!

I saw someone flogging something like that today. “First 5 comments below get free tickets”

There were crickets, not a single comment.

Guys guys guys.

I'd pay $115 to stay home in my PJs with my pooches and cat, whilst laying on the lounge and eating Cheetos!

Sounds perfect to me 😁

• 4 months later...

So a friend has just invited me to her new tupperware business FB page. 

She might actually do well because there isnt a local rep here (based on the regular ask's on the local FB page) but my aversion to MLM is making me shudder. 

And her upline is already annoying me!! 

Prizes for when she gets x followers. 

And some stupid game like duck duck goose, where we all need to post 'duck' and then when she posts 'goose' the first person to respond after it wins a prize 🙄

• Like 3

I do like Tupperware, they have good stuff. 
The best way I have found is for her to send you a catalogue and NOT pester you. I’ll probably order something if that happened.

Used to have a local rep that just mailboxed her catalogues.

That being said you can get just as good stuff from Big W or KMart

• Like 3

I love Tupperware ❤️ 

so I have an internet friend that seemed to get caught up in the MLM hype.  She was selling vitamins and shakes.  Maybe makeup.  She was posting all that crap about starting her own business, getting off the daily grind of going to work, working less for more money.  She is quite nice, but I imagine easy to manipulate.  Her posts have eased off over the last week or two and I don’t think she has quit her day job, so I guess she is learning  the truth the hard way.

another internet friend is selling make up.  She has actually done studying and training in the make up area.  I assume she is part of a MLM, but may just be selling stuff she likes.  I actually wish her the best as it is an area she is passionate and qualified in and I think doing it as the products are good.  No outlandish claims about her own business and making heaps of money.  Really hope it works for her.

• Like 1

Spidey_Senses

I have heard you can buy tupperwear much cheaper from Malaysia and its the same stuff.  But might not be a thing due to covid anymore?   We are a plain old systema or decor family here 😅

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The thing that always gets me is people who haven't spoken to you in years or even decades and they start messaging you to join their page about x MLM. 

Or the ones who post a response to any problem you have with their MLM as the only solution.

"Oh your kid has reflux/doesn't sleep/has asthma, try x expensive MLM product. It solves all your problems."

• Like 2
  • 100 1

I’ve seen ones after a relative, some even a close family member, has passed away

”sorry your mum died, want some mascara/candles/leggings?”

• Angry 2

VeritasVinumArte

20 years ago I was sitting next to someone who had been to an investing seminar and they rabbited on about how they were quitting their jobs and going to live on passive income…. Buy trading Options and how you can NEVER lose money trading Options. Now at this point of time I was managing the portfolio recording trade settlements for Managed Funds and Superannuation Funds, like major ones. I can tell you the Traders could lose LOTS of money. I just nodded and smiled. You can never tell people who have been sold the dream of riches that their dream is just that.

• Like 3

I haven't watched it yet as its on Prime which I dont have but I have heard there is a good Doco about Lularoe on there called LuLaRich which has stories from former reps. 

Hmm, I think I’d prefer people trying to sell me Enjo or Tupperware than the last culty presentation I experienced. An old uni friend messaged me out of the blue wanting to share all about this culty new age woo woo weekend she’d just had and how it had “changed her life”. 🤪 I was trying to figure out how to respond when COVID lockdown happened and I just never did. 

• Like 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Haha 1

What’s the MLM where you buy all the super expensive vitamins and supposedly lose weight (probably because you have no money left for food)? 😂 And then try to recruit everyone in the country because if they buy them too you will get your vitamins for free. Someone at a previous workplace was really into it, and the annoying thing was she came and did a presentation for it during a morning tea. When she said the name of it I couldn’t help going “oh” a bit too loudly. She then asked if I tried it before. I said no (and I think she knew/hoped I would say no because I’m fat). It was seriously inappropriate for her to present for an MLM at work like that. I really wanted to walk out, but I was a newbie. 

• Like 4
  • Care 1

There’s a few…Herbalife is one.

A lady at work started selling candles and some people assumed that she’d bought them from an MLM! She was quite insulted as she had poured them herself and they look lovely 

• Like 4
  • Crying 1

31 minutes ago, Yogaalaates said:

What’s the MLM where you buy all the super expensive vitamins and supposedly lose weight (probably because you have no money left for food)? 😂 And then try to recruit everyone in the country because if they buy them too you will get your vitamins for free. Someone at a previous workplace was really into it, and the annoying thing was she came and did a presentation for it during a morning tea. When she said the name of it I couldn’t help going “oh” a bit too loudly. She then asked if I tried it before. I said no (and I think she knew/hoped I would say no because I’m fat). It was seriously inappropriate for her to present for an MLM at work like that. I really wanted to walk out, but I was a newbie. 

I think they also had some kind of competition for best results too.  

Advertisement