As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to ALL of our forums. ×
IGNORED

The MLM Thread (We almost forgot about Poonique!)

Ozgirl

Starting a new thread here.

If you need catching up as to why MLM's are bad (and what they are)

Start here

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2019/jun/01/online-beauty-schemes-selling-social-media-younique-arbonne

https://ellebeaublog.com/poonique/

Or Aussie stuff here:

https://www.abc.net.au/life/how-not-to-lose-a-friend-over-multi-level-marketing/11857562

Edited by Ozgirl

ReflectiveSky

Very clever! I know a few people who got sucked into that stuff and ended up with the white elephant of having a pile of unsold product sitting around the house that they HAD to buy to get into the scheme

Chocolate Addict

That post on EB was epic. lol

I have a few friends who have recently jumped on the MLM bandwagon, no amount of convincing them is working.

I have been invited to heaps of online MLM parties during lockdown. I can't univite myself fast enough.

I caught up with with a friend when was sucked into Arbonne. She was all 'yeah I like the products but hated the bullshit that went with it" thank God it sound like she didn't spend a fortune.

That post on EB was epic. lol

I have a few friends who have recently jumped on the MLM bandwagon, no amount of convincing them is working.

I have been invited to heaps of online MLM parties during lockdown. I can't univite myself fast enough.

So many online tupperware parties to uninvite myself from.

I walked by DD3’s room a few days ago and overheard her singing “making money, pyramid scheme money” made me think of the EB thread, lol.

I had to check to see what she was watching to sing such a song, turns out it was a storyline in an episode of Teen Titans. No idea what way the storyline went, but so far she hasn’t asked to join any MLM’s etc, phew!

ClaudiaCosette

Thank you for sharing this! I knew MLMs were bad but didn't really know how they worked; now I do. I do know a few people who do various ones but I think they know not to bother asking me about them.

A Facebook friend of mine is heavily into one of the makeup brands. She often posts rubbish about living her Limelife and how it's changed her. Nope, she's just the same opinionated, self centred person she always was, but now with a big dash of MLM crapola on the side.

I had a Facebook friend get into Poonique around the same time that EB thread got going. Such a #bossbabe. Interestingly, she doesn’t do it any more but has never said why. Since she’s possibly the least discreet person on Facebook ever, I assume the huns are subjects to an iron clad NDA these days.

I think often people are too embarrassed to talk about how much money they lost on this kind of stuff. Nobody likes to admit that they got scammed. Part of how these scams keep finding new victims is that nobody likes to admit exactly how much money they agreed to sink into it before they realised they probably wouldn't get it back.

• 4 weeks later...

I got sucked into Amway when I was young and immature. Still paying for it financially more than 20 years later with a crap credit rating. At the time I had close to $10k credit card debt that there was no way I could afford to pay back on my $25k job

"I've recently lost 10kg in under a month. If you'd like to know how I did it, PM me your email address and phone number and I'll let you know!"

Eta:

DH and I are taking bets on which MLM his workmate has joined.

tinselfoil hat

"I've recently lost 10kg in under a month. If you'd like to know how I did it, PM me your email address and phone number and I'll let you know!"

Eta:

DH and I are taking bets on which MLM his workmate has joined.

It’s the one where you lose so much money you can no longer afford to buy food.

Oh wait, that doesn’t narrow it down...

Anyone who tries to talks me into signing up/joining/buying will be told 'it can't be that good the product/service was that amazing it would sell itself and you would not need to be going on and on about it'

or something like that

Anyone who tries to talks me into signing up/joining/buying will be told 'it can't be that good the product/service was that amazing it would sell itself and you would not need to be going on and on about it'

or something like that

To be fair i actually quite like the Party lite candles i ended up with - shame about the price! But it is good quality.

or something like that

To be fair i actually quite like the Party lite candles i ended up with - shame about the price! But it is good quality.

Oh don't get me wrong I have bought some MLM products over the years, it the pushy 'sales' people that won't take no for an answer that annoys me not some of the products

I got sucked into Amway when I was young and immature. Still paying for it financially more than 20 years later with a crap credit rating. At the time I had close to $10k credit card debt that there was no way I could afford to pay back on my $25k job

That's horrible, I'm genuinely sorry that you had that experience. The only person I've ever known who got sucked into Amway was also really young. The whole thing had a real cult vibe and he lost a lot of money too I think.

After listening to a podcast about MLMs recently, I thought it was really interesting how many American politicians are intwined to various levels in MLMs.

Could you share a link?

Has anyone here watched On Becoming A God in Central Florida? ( on SBS)

It is excellent and a fabulous piss take of MLMs.

Thanks for the reminder - its been on the mental watch list for a while!

After listening to a podcast about MLMs recently, I thought it was really interesting how many American politicians are intwined to various levels in MLMs.

Could you share a link?

Its called The Dream its not specifically about politics and MLMs but does talk about some of the big figures historically and the connections

Advertisement