• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amdirel

• Basil

• VeritasVinumArte

• Kiwi Bicycle

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't buy an MG. Firstly they are new to our market and reliability, servicing, spares and resale are a complete unknown. Secondly, given the economic body-blows that the CCP is inflicting on Australian markets, I wouldn't touch any Chinese car no matter how cheap it is. And that's how they are penetrating the market - cheap.

Their slogan 'since 1924' is hogwash, absolute hogwash but I guess some people will be fooled by it. British MG was bought out by SAIC (the Chinese state owned car manufacturer) in 2010 and manufacturing was moved to China. They just bought the name and are trading on it.

Buy something Korean (Hyundai or Kia) - a Kia Cerato is good value. With the Korean's you have proven service providers, proven available of spare parts, proven reliability and seven years warranty. I wouldn't risk money on the Chinese cheapee.

If you do go the MG a lady at work has the blue and it looks lovely.

My current car is black and it is hard to keep clean but I don’t think it really gets much hotter than any other car I’ve owned - they’re all ovens inside once parked for a few minutes. Prior to that I always had blue cars, the only reason this one isn’t is because the Corolla blue was (is?) awful.

Hills Mum Bec

I love the look of black cars. It they do get hot and show the dirt. I would only go red if you were going a Mazda, their red is amazing. Love pearl white and that would be my pick.

VeritasVinumArte

[mention]LewceeH[/mention] I agree I had seen the MG and had considered it for DH..... right up until research showed made in China after they were purchased by China and were no longer British.

I *have* actually researched before my potential purchase. I am fully aware MG are owned by China.

Yes they are getting into the market because they're cheap... that's why I've applied for one! If I could afford a 'better' brand, I would! Also their newer reviews are pretty good. They review better than a similarly priced and sized Nissan or Mitsubishi. Everything else is dearer.

I've read red cars are the worst for visibility, they disappear at dawn and dusk. Green blends in too well with greenery when parked (though the black car across the road blends in REALLY well with their dark reddish green hedge, I nearly back into it all the freaking time!) my vote is blue! DH and I both prefer blue but our current car wasn't available in blue 8 years ago so we ended up with silver.

I love the look of black cars. It they do get hot and show the dirt. I would only go red if you were going a Mazda, their red is amazing. Love pearl white and that would be my pick.

We clearly have opposite taste in car colours. :)

I got a black Mazda because the red wasn't red, I like tomato sauce red (despite loathing tomato sauce).

I also prefer a stark white to a pearl white.

As for pps comments about black being harder to keep clean - if you're like us and only let the rain wash them, the black wins hands down.

Agree with the above posters regards staying away from MG. Kia, Hyundai, Mitsubishi are all better brands that are comparable in price but are a known in terms of reliability. MG hasn't been in the market long enough for reliability to be known. I wouldn't want to be a guinea pig.

I had a silver car, then black. Both get really hot. At least with a new car you’ll have a nice cooling system.

Get the colour you love most. You’re buying a new car and can choose, as opposed to second hand and take what you can get.

Advertisement