IGNORED

Do you like your name? (spin off)

Chocolate Addict

Chocolate Addict

ok I think I need to look up the names of BBT cast, cos I got nothing and it is going to do my head in :P

I never, ever use my middle name. I can't remember the last time I used it. It is on government documents but not all of them.

My own child who is a teenager has no idea what my middle name is. It isn't on their birth certificate.

It is one of those super popular middle names from the 60/70s that starts with M :P

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bornagirl

• Chocolate Addict

• FiveAus

• Rosie28

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BusbyWilkes

ok I think I need to look up the names of BBT cast, cos I got nothing and it is going to do my head in :P

I never, ever use my middle name. I can't remember the last time I used it. It is on government documents but not all of them.

My own child who is a teenager has no idea what my middle name is. It isn't on their birth certificate.

It is one of those super popular middle names from the 60/70s that starts with M :P

Michelle?

My name is awful. Really really awful and all but one nick name for it are also really really awful. It is 10 letters long and until the big bang theory everyone would automatically shorten it to a man's name. I go by the one shortened version that I can at least stand. However that shortened version is typically a shortened version of Elizabeth too. I want to change my name but can't be bothered. I would still have to write it on official forms even if changed so I just live with what I have.

I think I know what your name is. Quite popular with Catholic parents in the 50's and 60's. I know of someone with the same name who shortens it to Ben. I'm assuming yours is Bette.

My name is awful. Really really awful and all but one nick name for it are also really really awful. It is 10 letters long and until the big bang theory everyone would automatically shorten it to a man's name. I go by the one shortened version that I can at least stand. However that shortened version is typically a shortened version of Elizabeth too. I want to change my name but can't be bothered. I would still have to write it on official forms even if changed so I just live with what I have.

I think I know what your name is. Quite popular with Catholic parents in the 50's and 60's. I know of someone with the same name who shortens it to Ben. I'm assuming yours is Bette.

This name was my very Catholic grandmother's name. She tried to make me choose it as my confirmation name, but I refused!

I dont mind my name, though it is very boring. Very common girls name for the decade I was born, typical matchy middle name that I really dont like, and boring anglo-saxon last name. I still have to spell my name often for people, though its the common spelling of the name. Yes, its with a 'h'. I have a best friend and a colleague with the same name.

I went something a little more uncommon for my daughter.

I hate my name but I hate it less now that I've changed my nickname.

It's a simple, boring name, and there are heaps of different spellings and nicknames for it. Even now that I just go by Cat people ask whether it's K or C.

Chocolate Addict

Michelle?

hahaha no, that is actually my very boring first name. :lol:

Oh, and I worked out the big bang theory name. It was the one character I had a mental block on for a minute lol I have a friend with the same name and goes by the male short version.

I think the E as A thing is a Melbourne thing (if you are here) I had never noticed it until someone pointed it out.

A lot of Melbourne/Victorian's say A instead of E but of course I can't think of any examples. lol

An example is how they say Melbourne!

My name is fairly common, though slightly more so in the decade before. There were plenty around in my classes with the same name although most of them would use a shortened version and i've always gone full name except when i was very young.

I don't mind it - i've gotten used to it and it's me. Not my favourite name in the world but don't dislike it.

I think the E as A thing is a Melbourne thing (if you are here) I had never noticed it until someone pointed it out.

A lot of Melbourne/Victorian's say A instead of E but of course I can't think of any examples. lol

My name is fairly common, though slightly more so in the decade before. There were plenty around in my classes with the same name although most of them would use a shortened version and i've always gone full name except when i was very young.

I don't mind it - i've gotten used to it and it's me. Not my favourite name in the world but don't dislike it.

I'm confused. The only way I hear Melbourne pronounced is with an E. I hear it pronounced Malbourne in the country - all over Australia, but not in Melbourne itself. (And I'm not from Melbourne originally.)

Chocolate Addict

Ok, I remembered a perfect example - George on Masterchef, would always say A= limination instead of E-limination.

Anyone called Ella/Ell/Elisa etc on the show got Alla/Al/Alisa etc,,,

Once you realise you notice it a lot more.

Melburnians also say 'bin' instead of been. lol

Masterchef is a good example of typical pronunciation? Oh lord. I don't watch the show but if you regularly watch someone speaking like that I can well imagine you'd think it typical of Melburnians.

Next think Pete Evans will be a good example of nutrition.

I'm confused. The only way I hear Melbourne pronounced is with an E. I hear it pronounced Malbourne in the country - all over Australia, but not in Melbourne itself. (And I'm not from Melbourne originally.)

I hear Malbourne quite often from Victorians and i don't think i've ever heard a non Victorian say it.

I hear Malbourne quite often from Victorians and i don't think i've ever heard a non Victorian say it.

The only time I've heard it in recent years was in the last week, in country NSW. Mind you, I live in a privileged area of Melbourne. I probably visit areas when I'm travelling that are not so fortunate.

Ooh that's possible, I was thinking Etta but Bette is good too.

Ok, I remembered a perfect example - George on Masterchef, would always say A= limination instead of E-limination.

Anyone called Ella/Ell/Elisa etc on the show got Alla/Al/Alisa etc,,,

Once you realise you notice it a lot more.

Melburnians also say 'bin' instead of been. lol

Oh that drives me nuts. Not sure if it's a Melbourne thing since I've heard a few people in Perth do it. "Allie" instead of "Ellie" is the most common one I can think of now. And I've got a friend who switches it both ways eg "Elcohol" instead of "Alcohol".

I have little interest in my name or other people's. I tend to relate to people very much through what they say or do, not so much how they're named. I find it so unimportant I will have long and interesting conversations often and then not know who I was talking to as I never ask, and similarly they have no idea who I am unless they ask, because I rarely remember to introduce myself.

Victorian here who does not hear 'bin' instead of 'been' or 'Malbourne' instead of 'Melbourne.'

As to the question at hand...yes I like my name now, I hated it growing up as it was most unusual for the time.

I have a difficult mixed relationship with my name..

It has never been in the Top Thousand either in the US where I lived until I was 25, or in Australia.

It's got a nice enough sound and relates to my cultural background. But I find it awkward to be immediately asked my ethnic background, and people used to just carry on about it - either it's beautiful! It's wonderful! Why do you have it, tell me a story! Or ew, what else can we call you? I'm not saying that! Can I call you (something else)? Some adults were ruder than that.

As a kid I longed to be Jennifer or Jessica or Josephine. Just to have people go "oh okay" and write it down with no scene when I said what it was.

And to make it worse, I don't even have the most normal spelling, so people who are my background who can say it confidently, can't spell it.

Weird spellings of already weird names are vastly unhelpful.

A unisex version is now relatively popular on little girls, but I have an -a ending feminine form.

I do use a nickname a lot, just because of people can't say my name I'd like to control what they go to.

But I don't hate my name. I do think you should have to pick a weirdness level for your kids and ride it out. I had the only weird name of my siblings and I and I was of the opinion either we all should have had weird or all had normal and I didn't even care which.

VeritasVinumArte

Once upon a time I wanted a more exotic version of my name (think Ysobel to Isabelle) but am happy with my standard name. It is a name of many ages.

Advertisement