IGNORED

Do you like your name? (spin off)

Chocolate Addict

Chocolate Addict

In the ' how long have you held a grunge' post a lot of people mentioned they hate their (first) name.

Do you like yours?

I am not a fan of mine. It was very popular in the 60s and 70s, I have numerous friends with the same name. Even my sibling names are common, boring names.

I even asked my mum once why she picked such boring names for us. :lol:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bornagirl

• Chocolate Addict

• FiveAus

• Bee Girl

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE my name. It is irish in origin but not an odd or made up name so it's unique here and I have only ever met 2 other's with the same name. I love the fact that my name is not common so I gave DD an uncommon name as well. Unique without being weird.

Yeah it is simple to spell but not too boring and also connected to my mums name so yeah I like it, I am extremely thankful I don't have to spell it out as 99% of people get the spelling.

My ds doesn't seem to have an opinion on his name it is probably considered boring and must have been in the top 10 or 20 popular names for the last 200 years but if the worse he can think is it is boring I will take that

I like my name. It has been in or around the top 20 or 30 names since well before I was born and remains there now, but I've only ever known one other person with my name. It is easy to spell, there are good nicknames and I could always get novelty items with my name on them - my brother couldn't so I felt like I'd done well as a kid!

My two older kids LOVE their names - they like their nicknames but prefer their full names, and regularly tell me how pleased they are with them. Hopefully number 3 feels the same.

Fruitmincepies

I LOVE my name. It is irish in origin but not an odd or made up name so it's unique here and I have only ever met 2 other's with the same name. I love the fact that my name is not common so I gave DD an uncommon name as well. Unique without being weird.

I dislike my uncommon (but perfectly normal) name so much I gave DD a name that was in the top 3. Maybe I disliked my name because it is so boring and that’s the difference. Anyway, DD’s name suits her, and has great nicknames, which she also likes.

Hills Mum Bec

I can't say I love my name but I don't hate it. I'm sure you can all guess what my name is based on my username. It's spelled the most common way so most people spell it correctly and don't often ask. It was very, very common when I was growing up. I went to a tiny primary school with one class per year level and I had 3 other girls with the same name in my year level all the way through.

DS has a fairly popular name but not too popular, I have no idea if he likes it or not. My two DD's both have pretty names that aren't too common but they are not unusual and they have both told me that they love them except for the fact that they never appear on any of the named stuff in the gift shops. DD16 is very easy to spell but DD9s name has quite a few variants and is often mispelled.

As I mentioned, I have an ethnic/ religious name that doesn't reflect who I am, so it has freaked a few people out when meeting me. It's a bit hard to say and spell so in the end I answer to anything remotely sounding like it.

But it's a really nice, cool name. It has strong meaning and I like it. Just don't like the pain for other people part.

I was very careful selecting DS's name to choose something that is easy to say, easy to spell but not common. However it hasn't quite worked with my Kiwi accent and Aussies, as they sometimes miss hear the first letter E as A. Cannot win.

Chocolate Addict

I think the E as A thing is a Melbourne thing (if you are here) I had never noticed it until someone pointed it out.

A lot of Melbourne/Victorian's say A instead of E but of course I can't think of any examples. lol

My child has a biblical name (not chosen for religious reasons), so it old but wasn't overly common. Also the name of an actor, so people assumed I named after them - I didn't, I am not a fan of said actor.

I recently told my kid of other names that were on my list including those of the other gender. They were glad they were not the other gender. :P And every name I said resulted in a screwed up face, pretty sure I picked the right name. :)

Though, a lot of people don't know how to pronounce it, spell it or assume we are saying a name of the opposite gender that is a lot more common. lol

My name is awful. Really really awful and all but one nick name for it are also really really awful. It is 10 letters long and until the big bang theory everyone would automatically shorten it to a man's name. I go by the one shortened version that I can at least stand. However that shortened version is typically a shortened version of Elizabeth too. I want to change my name but can't be bothered. I would still have to write it on official forms even if changed so I just live with what I have.

Mine is ok but very generic and was super popular in the 80's and 90's. Once had a class in school with 6 of us of the same name!

No nicknames but it can be spelt and pronounced multiple ways so still have to clarify for others.

My name is okay. Was really popular in the 70s when I was born but not really used now (or in the last 20-30 years!). It is a name with lots of different spellings and it is always spelt wrong. That is annoying. Mum did want to call me Bindy, so I guess that would have been worse!

I gave my kid’s more uncommon names. Only one of the 3 would have made the top 100 over the years. They all really like their names.

Aww Dancepuppydance I’m sure you don’t care but I’ve figured out your name and I love it!

Mine is super generic, there was like 10 in my grade at high school, very popular in the 80s in the UK and probably here too. I don’t love it, don’t hate it, it’s just there. I was really bummed out at school that I didn’t have a middle name - that bothered me a lot for some strange reason.

Edited to remove quote

Edited by Wolf87

Not overly. It was pretty common. I have the less common spelling, so always have to spell it out. I only bother to correct now if it’s something offical.

Off topic but it’s bloody annoying when your name is written in an email or text and the person replying still manages to spell it wrong!!

I've never liked my name.

I hated it when I was younger. I can still remember someone came over our house when I was about four and asked me name. She replied with oh that's a lovely name and I turned around and said I don't like it and want to change my name to Anne.

Then I started school and found I was one of about 6 in the grade with the same name and worked out that my mother didn't make my name up like I thought she had. Turns out that the alternative meaning of my name is "born in Brisbane circa 1970")

Fast forward to now and there are so many negative connotations associated with my name that I have grown to dislike it more than ever. Also I'm constantly surprised at the number of times I'm asked to spell my name. Yes there are a couple of very uncommon variations but they aren't the norm. Seems that my name peaked then fell out of favour so quickly that anyone under 45 struggles with the spelling.

Edited by Feebi

Yes. It was very uncommon when I was given it but made a come back a few years ago and now it’s everywhere. I still like it, even though I’m often looking round to see who’s yelling my name at school, park etc.

Not much. At least I didn't get the second name as the first, though.

They were up to their fifth by then, and my grandmother got to name me, and called me by the name she'd have used if she had a second girl. The bulk of people with my name are 20 years older so tending to start to fall off their perch now. The second name was my mothers, which was appropriate for her age group (100+ now).

Guess what my siblings got as second names? First got Dad's acceptable name, then James, Mary, Anne, John. I get the old fashioned long one.

I tried to drop it completely in my 20s - never used it - first passport didn't have it on there. Those were the days.

If my mother had been a nice person it wouldn't have been so bad, but she wasn't.

Not much. At least I didn't get the second name as the first, though.

They were up to their fifth by then, and my grandmother got to name me, and called me by the name she'd have used if she had a second girl. The bulk of people with my name are 20 years older so tending to start to fall off their perch now. The second name was my mothers, which was appropriate for her age group (100+ now).

Guess what my siblings got as second names? First got Dad's acceptable name, then James, Mary, Anne, John. I get the old fashioned long one.

I tried to drop it completely in my 20s - never used it - first passport didn't have it on there. Those were the days.

If my mother had been a nice person it wouldn't have been so bad, but she wasn't.

Oh gosh I can relate. I got lumbered with my mothers first name for middle name too. Horribly old fashioned. My sisters got much nicer middle names.

@dancepuppydance

I won't quote your post as you may choose to delete.

Big Bang Theory fan here.

Worked out your name in 3 seconds.

Did you work out my "known as" name too? Most people in my life don't know my full name I hate it so much.

@dancepuppydance

I won't quote your post as you may choose to delete.

Big Bang Theory fan here.

Worked out your name in 3 seconds.

Did you work out my "known as" name too? Most people in my life don't know my full name I hate it so much.

Oh. No. I don't have the inclination.

Advertisement