IGNORED

Love the song, hate the lyrics

Hills Mum Bec

Hills Mum Bec

I absolutely love the song Without You by The Kid Laroi except I feel like one line in the song completely ruins it for me - Can't make a wife out of a ho. Uurrgh!

What song do you love but hate the lyrics?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• YodaTheWrinkledOne

• amdirel

• alchetta

• Spidey_Senses

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could list one but I can never hear the words so make up my own and it changes usually every time I hear it, then I people say 'you do know that song is about a serial killer?' type thing when I think it is totally mundane and 'fluffy'

So I will be watching this thread with interest

Guest Alias Grace

I loved the song "Love Really Hurts Without You" by Billy Ocean for many years with absolutely no idea of how awful the lyrics were until someone pointed it out on a similar thread on 9EB. I can't believe that I'd never paid attention to the lines prior to then! It's definitely ruined my enjoyment of the song but much better that than happily singing along to toxic male entitlement :oops:

DD14 used to be a One Direction fan. Every time the chorus came on, I added my own words on the end....

Everybody wanna steal my girl

Everybody wanna take her heart away

Couple billion in the whole wide world

Find another one 'cause she belongs to me NO SHE DOESN’T, YOU TOOL,!

A lot of songs I enjoyed as a teenager I now find hard to listen to. A lot of hip hop especially. The way they reference women is really awful. Like 'Always on time'.

Yep, a lot of the hip hop stuff where I LOVE the beat and everything else about the song, but now that I'm older and more sensible, I can't stand the lyrics.

Usher's "Yeah!" is the first example that springs to mind; Ludacris' bit is disgusting.

Showing some age and wouldn't say I love the song but I cringe at the lyrics of "All I wanna do is make love to you". Only paid attention to the full lyrics beyond the chorus a few years ago and can't get past the theme of the song when I hear it.

Similarly I do like the song Escape (pina colada song) but hate that it's about two people planning affairs and only realised this a few years back.

Every breath you take...

But actually not very many because I am lyrics first music second

Someone told me the song was about stalking and I could never listen to it again.

Every breath you take...

But actually not very many because I am lyrics first music second

Someone told me the song was about stalking and I could never listen to it again.

I call it the stalker song but never really heard all the words to know if I am right or not

I absolutely love the song Without You by The Kid Laroi except I feel like one line in the song completely ruins it for me - Can't make a wife out of a ho. Uurrgh!

I had the exact same thought listening to that song - WTF?

Others that annoy me:

1D - What Makes You Beautiful: ‘you don’t know you’re beautiful, and that’s what makes you beautiful’.

Seriously? So a woman is only beautiful if she doesn’t know it??

Shawn Mendez - Treat You Better: ‘...and any girl like you deserves a gentleman’

So... some girls don’t deserve to be treated well?

Showing some age and wouldn't say I love the song but I cringe at the lyrics of "All I wanna do is make love to you". Only paid attention to the full lyrics beyond the chorus a few years ago and can't get past the theme of the song when I hear it.

Agree, totally cringe at this song.

Blow my whistle, catchy music, even made it as a Les Mills Body Bump track (chest or core track from memory) but seriously what he’s really singing about... no thank you

I loved the song "Love Really Hurts Without You" by Billy Ocean for many years with absolutely no idea of how awful the lyrics were until someone pointed it out on a similar thread on 9EB. :oops:

wow, what a pig.

I wish I could list one but I can never hear the words so make up my own and it changes usually every time I hear it, then I people say 'you do know that song is about a serial killer?' type thing when I think it is totally mundane and 'fluffy'

I always dread these threads. Destroying my innocent enjoyment of songs with crap lyrics.

Whenever I talk songs with someone, it's always like "I love that song about the garden"

"What song"

"You know, the garden song! By this singer."

"Do you mean...." Person sings right song and apparently lyrics aren't even close to being about her "loving her garden"

Hills Mum Bec

I always dread these threads. Destroying my innocent enjoyment of songs with crap lyrics.

Whenever I talk songs with someone, it's always like "I love that song about the garden"

"What song"

"You know, the garden song! By this singer."

"Do you mean...." Person sings right song and apparently lyrics aren't even close to being about her "loving her garden"

I'm terrible with song lyrics too. I found the Without You song really catchy but was a bit sketchy on what some of the actual lyrics were and then I mentioned it to DD16 about how I like the song and she was outraged because of the lyrics and told me what they said, oops.

I know right! Totally ruins it. I like Fuck You Goodbye and it would be the perfect breakup song except it references a cocaine diet. Ummm not something I partake in.

Edit - We're Good by Dua Lipa is also great except for the cocaine reference. Is coke back in style?

Similarly I do like the song Escape (pina colada song) but hate that it's about two people planning affairs and only realised this a few years back.

I hate that song too, I have renamed it "All I wanna do is trick you and steal your sperm"......

That and "We Built This City" are pretty much the only songs that will make me change the station

Polygraph Eyes by Yungblud. It's actually a really good song about telling blokes not to rape drunk women but there's one line in it that jars me every time. He sings "we all know what happens next, a bit of fun turns to regret". Now, I'm 100% certain what he means is that she's gone out for a night with her mates and now she's regretting going out at all. But it sounds like he's saying she's agreed to sex and now regrets it in the morning and it bothers me.

Sugarplum Poobah

I love the wall of sound in terms of the sound itself -- Phil Spector not so much.

But then there this (and I'm posting the link in case anyone thinks it's just too dreadful to actually be true)

Eminem- Love the way you lie

I love this song, AND love at least half of the lyrics. The ones I really don't like are the ones about leaving through the window guess that's why they call it window pane (partly because that one is so dorky as well), and the one about tying her to the bed and setting the house on fire.

I don't often stop listening to a song because I don't approve of the lyrics or the singer/band. If the songs good, and I like it, that doesn't often change.

Advertisement