IGNORED

Invisalign or braces as an adult

Etcetera

I've always hated my teeth (don't suck your thumb, kids!) and just had my consult regarding invisalign. I'm a good candidate for it and the simulation looked really good.

It's expensive of course, more than I thought it would be, and now that I'm reading about particular issues that can occur etc and I'm starting to freak out. It's a lot of money for something that seems super selfish, and of course now the consult is over I have so many more questions!

Any experiences here?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VeritasVinumArte

• Etcetera

• charli73

• verucasalt

Top Posters In This Topic

DH did it and is so glad he did. He always had a great smile, but his teeth did let him down a bit. I think it’s given him more confidence. It was expensive, but worth it.

He has since had to have proper business head shots for work, and done the occasional public presentation (town hall style) and a TV interview and newspaper article, so it’s been good that he didn’t have to worry about his teeth during all that.

The actual process was pretty simple. Set price, they scan your teeth then you use the trays and get a new one each fortnight. Now he has a retainer for night time too.

I think it’s ok to be “selfish”, it’s not really selfish, it’s about happiness and mental health. And also can be about long term dental health. I had a minor cosmetic surgery done myself, mostly paid for by health insurance, but I would have paid anyway, and I’m so glad I did that too! If I wasn’t so scared of eye pain I’d get eye surgery too. You just have to put yourself first sometimes. You deserve it.

VeritasVinumArte

I had braces as a teen. My wisdom teeth came through and started to move my teeth (in the days before they did internal permanent bonds on teeth or before they had retainers for life), so as I aged some teeth movement increased and two teeth at the front in particular stood out as one was pushed out quite a but and one pushed backwards quite a bit.... end result was I became very self conscious about my smile.

I got Invisalign to straighten again my top teeth. Took 16 plates (or was that 8 plates 16wks) from memory to fix it. It really did impact my self esteem.

I have just gotten myself a new job, and when that settles down I will investigate fixing my bottom teeth again.

I do wear a retainer every night now to ensure my teeth don’t move again.

Before and After photos. Apologies for the colouring of my teeth.... they have always been that colouring with horrid super white spots making my teeth look yellow in comparison. I remember orthodontist commenting on it when I was 11.

C6061-E21-8-BA7-4-A81-9354-48-F72-F2-BECBD.jpg

ECCADB27-FA1-D-4-FBE-81-BE-A02-B59-F90-E1-B.jpg

Captain Tightpants

My daughter is about to finish her Smile Direct Club treatment. 6 months of aligners that are changed every week to two weeks.

Originally it was going to be a 4 month treatment, but her teeth didn't move as projected so she got another 2 months worth. These have moved her teeth perfectly. She is a week or so from wearing a retainer at night time only.

We are happy with the process and results and it only cost us $2500.

I had braces as a kid and they have moved again. Got two quotes for Invisalign and metal braces and one clinic was $7500-$8500 and the other clinic was $6800 for Invisalign and my health find will pay $2000 so I’m booked in.

It pays to get another quote elsewhere...

It’s about my self esteem also, I hate smiling and my health fund is contributing double what they normally would as they rolled over benefits with Covid so it’s this year or never.

Please get another quote you might be suprised.

I had metal braces on my top row mid 40’s when my now DH proposed to me, my teeth were fine growing up, lovely and straight. I don’t know why but as I aged one of my front teeth started to buck, I hated it.

So 9 months of braces cost me $2,500 (I didn’t have extras health ins at the time) I wear a retainer at night.

Well worth it

Kerilyntaryn21

I know have braces, I wasn't looking at invasalign, but that wasn't suitable. My teeth will need to be built up afterwards due to grinding, a few months in and looking so much better

I'm in my late forties and my teeth are moving. I had metal braces when 16 - 18 years old to correct a few crooked teeth (front lower jaw - thanks dad).

I looked into treatment too, but cannot be bothered. I'm just hoping they won't move too much.

I know 4 people in my office who had successful treatment with Invisalign, If there's one thing to learn about any of this is always wear a retainer at night.

I am now considering whether to get retainers to stop further movement.

VeritasVinumArte

[mention]verucasalt[/mention] If you are OK with your teeth as they are now, I would consider investing in a retainer plate. Mine is like a 1/3 height mouth guard but solid not flexible. Not like the orthodontic plate of the late 80s which was covering the roof of mouth with a metal bar to go across the front.

@verucasalt If you are OK with your teeth as they are now, I would consider investing in a retainer plate. Mine is like a 1/3 height mouth guard but solid not flexible. Not like the orthodontic plate of the late 80s which was covering the roof of mouth with a metal bar to go across the front.

Thank you very much http://VeritasVinumArte. I've got a dentist appointment soon and I will follow up on this! I really would rather my teeth didn't wander any further.

It might seem super selfish but if you can afford it, why not? Great teeth and eyebrows really changes a face and can improve your confidence. I had braces in my late 20's for minor imperfections and was happy with the result. I say go for it!

It would depend how bad it was tbh. I had braces as a teen due to "structural" orthodontic issues. I now have pretty bad receding gums even though I have always looked after my dental care, and the periodontist says that braces can often cause this issue as they can change how the tooth sits in the gum.

So if the teeth are structurally fine and not causing issues, I would be inclined to leave it.

My dentist told me after the Invisalign treatment they could put a small wire behind the front bottom teeth to stop them moving out of position again.. it’s optional but can be done as well as wearing the retainer. I’m considering it, may others can do the same?

Thank you so much for sharing your stories.

ATM I'm going with no. It's nearly $7000, and after doing a ton of reading online there are a lot of issues that I'm predisposed to already that Invisalign can worsen.

I'm going to chat to my dentist about a few things but I think I'll just not bother at this stage.

I got invisalign at the end of 2019 and I'm super happy with the result - my teenage braces hadn't worked as well as they should, (I think because the dentist took out too many teeth) and one of my front teeth was protruding more and more forward over the years.

The invisalign was straightforward and what I liked was that you couldn't really tell I was wearing it. Added small but happy side benefit was that it stopped me drinking tea/coffee at work, as you're supposed to take them out when you eat or drink anything other than cold water, and what can I say? I'm lazy :laughing: Also, they don't go at all with lipstick so if that's your thing, it's something to note.

I stopped with the all day ones about a year ago and have been wearing the night ones since. I've also got a permanent brace behind my lower front teeth which didn't bother me at all after the first few days.

What it has done is given me a LOT more confidence when I smile, and for that it's worth it.

Advertisement