As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

What was Australia's population when you were in school?

Darryl

It's funny how some things just stick in your head from your school years - even when you are well aware that things have changed since.

Personally, the figure "16 million" always pops first to mind when Australia's population is mentioned.

How about you?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seayork2002

• Catzilla

• Meljbau

• DaLittleEd

Top Posters In This Topic

When i started school it was 9.5m, when i finished it was 12.5m.

Funny, you're right, had to look up the first one, but always remembered the figure of around 12.5 m from last years of secondary.

MintyBiscuit

I recall 18 million from school days. Looking it up that would’ve been late primary school. I just googled the current population and was surprised, I thought it was closer to 30 million now

Hills Mum Bec

It's funny how some things just stick in your head from your school years - even when you are well aware that things have changed since.

Personally, the figure "16 million" always pops first to mind when Australia's population is mentioned.

How about you?

I think you must be about the same age as me because I had 16 million in my head too.

I think over in Perth the population is about 1.5 times what is was when I was in high school. The traffic increase is very noticeable as I don't think (with the exception of the Mandurah line) the public transport has increased in line. Hopefully current projects go some way to eleviating this.

And let's not mention hospitals! One new major hospital (Fiona Stanley) and a new children's Hospital replacing the old one. It think there have been some new secondary hospitals, but wait times have supposedly ballooned with a lot more ramping.

I am not against population growth, but the planning and infrastructure has not kept pace. The urban sprawl is horrific. Surely a satellite city system, or more regional development would have been better. At the moment we just seem to keep building out and out with longer freeways....

Sorry for the rant.

Silverstreak

I have 16 million stuck in my head as well, from when I was 12.

In high school there was a funny tagline going around: "Five billion people and still no date!"

I've always had 14M stuck in my head and i accessed that link and it was 14M the whole of high school years. No wonder i had that number in my head. It was almost/about 15M at the end so that was slow growth during that period!

I suppose it was close to 40 years ago but we do seem to really jumped since the mid 80s.

Advertisement