IGNORED

Child/adult - size, distance, time, money

Seayork2002

Seayork2002

When I was a kid a trip from Central the Blue Mountains on a train took about 2 hours (and back on the Fish and Chips train) but took forever to me back when I was a kid

Now it feels like 2mins

same as if I walked from one point to another back then would seem like ages now would be quick, schools holidays always felt quick but a year felt like 10 not a year feels like 2 months

Christmas took ages to arrive now it is like it is the next one overnight

things seemed more expensive back then (stationary, lollies, tuck shop but I got a bag for $1 now there would be about 2 but bags of lollies seem cheaper now)

also food seems smaller now

from comments from friends I am not the only one thinking this but do you think this?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tinsel

• DragonsGrace

• onetrick

• Princess Peach

Top Posters In This Topic

DragonsGrace

Time feels like it’s faster because it makes up increasingly less of your life as a whole. When you were 5, a year was a fifth of your life. At 40, it’s 1/40th. So your perception changes the further from birth you get. And everyone has the same feeling because it’s happening to everyone at the same rate.

We used to regularly drive an hour to visit relatives when I was a kid and take car trips for holidays, so I was used to it. Friends of ours never travelled and used to consider more than a half hour drive to be 'long' and anything further in than Frankston (for the Victorian ppl- we were peninsula kids) was considered 'the city'. Blew their mind when we had a shopping day at Southland back in the day!

But I do think in general time passes so much quicker now and I'm.constantly doing that thing where I think 'just a few years ago' and one of my colleagues goes 'oh, I was in primary school then!'. Ffs.

Princess Peach

I know portion sizes are shrinking, take a Cadbury family block of chocolate, they used to be 250g, now I think they are 180g.

I visited my old school's open day about 6 years ago. The 'hall' which was really a large open area in the original building surrounded by rooms, was soooo small. I really wonder how we all fitted in there for assembly, especially taking into account the aisles we left on either side and down the middle.

When I was working o/s in the late 70s, a workmate invited me to a party at their place. They were astounded that I turned up because it was so far from work and where I was living - it was less than a 20 min car trip! Nothing for a Sydney-sider but a long way for them.

StillFreddiesMum

The most striking memory for me was Dad's funeral which took place in the Church we all went to when we were kids. My memories of when I was a kid was that the Church was HUGE. When I was in there as an adult it was actually quite small.

My memory is getting worse the older I get - I struggle to remember what I did last Tuesday but can remember something very clearly that happened 20 years ago. Odd. And then 20 years ago doesn't seem that long ago but it is. Very odd.

We used to travel two hours to go to away matches of football and netball growing up regionally. The trip home always felt much longer.

I remember going 40 minutes to Mass as kids and thinking that was long but dad used to make us listen to this awful show with Macca on the ABC and he makes my skin crawl. He is still alive and possibly still ruining a teenagers Sunday morning.

My nephew can’t take a ten minute drive without playing on his switch and it drives me bonkers. It takes him so much bloody time getting off the game when we arrive and then I’m stuck lugging the blasted thing around because I don’t want it damaged in an over hot car.

When I go to vote in my old primary school hall, it feels so so small.

Yet I always remember for feeling sooo huge when I was a kid at school.

I feel like its because our new experiences are now limited as adults. When you're a kid there are so many firsts, so much new information.

2020 went by fast for me.. I can't believe we are in march.. Its exactly a year from when we were locked up..

But the 3 months I spent travelling around Europe felt like a year too...it was full of new experiences, new tastes, new everything.

Spidey_Senses

I remember this effect.

I think Im just so busy as an adult. As a child I would look out the window on a train trip. As an adult, Im filling out school forms or paying bills on my phone! (or reading EB ;) )

Advertisement