• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Julie3Girls

• VeritasVinumArte

• Greenbean

• IamtheMumma

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only tried Modibodi and I sent them back. They absorbed liquid ok but not clots, and the clots are slippery and just....slipped out. I'd say "sorry TMI" but given the topic it's probably all good!

If you're not that clotty it'd be ok, or maybe the other brands are better.

Julie3Girls

Thinking for the 14 yr old who hasn’t started her period yet. Just thought it might be a good idea as a backup plan at least

I have Bonds, Thinx, Tom’s and modibodi, they’re all good. Tom’s are available at Coles if you want a cheaper easy one to try.

We have a mix of modibodi, bonds and love Luna. My 15yo says bonds are her favourite and prefers them. I like my modibodis best though.

Period undies are game changers. DD got her period at age 10 and they made things so much easier for her. She had extremely heavy (and clotty) periods but the period undies were fine for her.

We had Thinx undies originally (bought online from USA). They are so nice.

Now she also has some of the ones bought from supermarket and Big W, which are good, but not as good as thinx.

The thinx certainly did cope fine, with no leakage. Easy to clean.

I’ve only been using them for a while and generally use them with a cup in case of leaks or at the tail end of my period, so not by themselves at peak flow. Others might be better placed to advise in terms of absorbency.

In terms of comfort I imagine it’s like undies in general - will really depend on how the cut fits an individual. I have Bonds and love Luna. I find the bonds ones feel bulkier and I prefer the cut/feel of the love Luna ones.

I've just come in from hanging a set on the line.

My girls have been using Modibodi "Red" - which is the teen range - for the past few years. They won't use anything else any more.

We have bought three sets over the years and it seems they are continually refining their design. My eldest just bought the regular range which is a different fabric from the teen range. She really likes the over night ones.

My youngest has occasional leaks but I usually discover that's due to her own laziness. Both still prefer to wear bike shorts over the top.

The only problem I have is the girls caring for them properly. They're supposed to rinse them in the shower, then I wash them on a delicate cycle. At times the girls rinse them then leave them in their bathroom until they need them next and then ask me where I put them. Or leave a pile to soak in the laundry - suffice to say the smell after a week is putrid.

VeritasVinumArte

I have been using Thinx as my full time undies for 4 years now. Perrimenopausal so irregular periods from 16d to 50+ days. Very happy I wear them full time as I was wearing a white dress the day I had my 16d period (after a 42d one),

I upgraded to their maxi period undies when they became available as I do get flooding. I wear the Maxi Thinx on days 1-2 of my period without problems of leaking. I did have a minor leak when flooding on day 1 with standard Thinx.

My DD at 11yrs (grade 6) wears Thinx every day to school so she will never be caught out.

Bonds look great too as do Tom’s. I don’t like Modibodi ones.

I wash in normal wash for every day wear (and throw in dryer as normal). When I have my period I rinse and then wash those in a cold wash (usually do 3 days together).

IamtheMumma

I have Love Luna. Now that I've lost a lot of weight, my periods are so light compared with before. I still use a cloth pad and period undies overnight for the first 2 days but it is comforting to know I'm not going to be leaking anymore. Pre weight loss, nothing worked except folded cloth nappies. The period undies (heavy/postpartum) ones would leak without warning.

I've bought my first ones from Bonds. I've only used them as precautionary as I wasn't 100% sure when I'd get my period (first one post parting).

It is soooo nice not having to wear a liner or a pad while waiting for it to come. I haven't tried them yet on their own. I'll probably do it on the tail end of my period

Kiwi Bicycle

I have Modi Bodi, Bonds and Toms. I think for best value and comfort Bonds is the best. Very dry feeling, sub $ 20 on sale and the pad part isn't excessively large ( Toms is overly generous, with the pad extending right up to the waist band). Modi Bodi has a merino top layer on the oad which can end up smelling plus can feel damp. They are also the most expensive. I haven't tried Love Luna as they are nylon fabric which when I felt it, was not very soft.

Spidey_Senses

I use them for a few purposes. Overnight they stay put better than pads so less likely to leak. They are great for days when you arent sure if your period will start or has finished. I also like to wear them as a backup to tampons to avoid leaks. I wouldnt use them alone all day for work though. They would get too smelly I reckon.

For heavy days, I don't like them, they smell towards the end of the day. No amount of absorbency and anti bac fabric can deal with blood thats been sitting at body temp for hours.

For overnight or lighter days where there isn't much quantity, they are great.

Also good if your period is irregular, I like wearing them the days leading up to my period. As a teen every class I'd get up and check my chair and try and check the back of my skirt. And now, heading into peri menopause, I'm back to the same thing except now I can feel it starting and when it does its immediately heavy - terrifying feeling when you're stuck in a meeting!

For heavy days, I don't like them, they smell towards the end of the day. No amount of absorbency and anti bac fabric can deal with blood thats been sitting at body temp for hours.

Also good if your period is irregular, I like wearing them the days leading up to my period. As a teen every class I'd get up and check my chair and try and check the back of my skirt. And now, heading into peri menopause, I'm back to the same thing except now I can feel it starting and when it does its immediately heavy - terrifying feeling when you're stuck in a meeting!

I dont believe you are supposed to wear them all day. I certainly dont.

I love my Thinx ones.

I did get a pair of Bonds ones recently. Ad as a pp said up thread they are much bulkier.

Spidey_Senses

I know that feeling. Yuck.

I agree with PP I wouldnt wear the period undies all day on their own on a heavy day. Some people might change half way through the day if its possible. If you are a cup user they would be a good backup to that.

My 14yo has been using them since she got her period 2 years ago. She uses them in conjunction with pads. Starts the day off wearing the undies with a pad on top and then disposes of the pad at lunch time and wears just period undies for the rest of the day. So no need to carry pads in her pocket or change undies while she’s at school. She has Thinx and modibodi and likes both of them. She also has modibodi swimmers which have been great.

My 14yo has been using them since she got her period 2 years ago. She uses them in conjunction with pads. Starts the day off wearing the undies with a pad on top and then disposes of the pad at lunch time and wears just period undies for the rest of the day. So no need to carry pads in her pocket or change undies while she’s at school. She has Thinx and modibodi and likes both of them. She also has modibodi swimmers which have been great.

That's what DD did on heavy days. Worked well. And made school easier not having to carry a spare pad for rest of day around.

Just a thought for those saying they (or their daughters) are caught out be surprise.

Whilst it might seem a big ask but temping can help with this. As your temp drops the day of your period starting (if you ovulated).

VeritasVinumArte

On the heavy days of my period I will wear a pair of undies from after my shower in the morning until I get home from work (4pm or so) and then change to another pair for evening/overnight and change again come morning. If really heavy I may change again before bed. So 2/3 pairs are used in a day on heavy days. My heavy days may be singular or 5 days - love perrimenopause. I have no idea.

lazycritter

Thank you for this info, I've been wearing pads every day as I don't know when the red demon is going to turn up anymore. And I was wondering over night it might help but I have had always had trouble with leakage at night. I usually wear a tampon at night and I've had to change it during the night sometimes.

Tmi... Last night I thought I was right to just wear a pad (thinking I was at the end of the heavy stretch but the blood just by passes the pad altogether and runs through the ummm...back way and I'm wearing good night's but it passes it and I suddenly feel it leak out the top of my er.. Derreire crack... So the tampon is the only thing to stop leaks and won't last.

I have Thinx and Bonds.

Thinx arent as bulky, but for some reason, the material has pilled on the butt in every single pair, on their first wash, which isn't great for the cost.

Bonds I've had no quality issues, but they do feel a bit bulkier.

VeritasVinumArte

[mention]lazycritter[/mention] I wear the Thinx boy shorts (which are period undies) with a pair of normal Thinx undies as double backup when I am having flooding issues. I find the boy shorts reassuring at night.

Advertisement