IGNORED

Stanky House

ImperatorFuriosa

ImperatorFuriosa

So our house has been fumigated, carpets cleaned and house cleaned from top to bottom, but there's still a underlying stank of cat pee or pee in general. Its so gross. Any ideas to get rid of it?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImperatorFuriosa

• Paddlepop

• Jenflea

• pelagic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fruitmincepies

Well we moved into a house that smelled very musty, lemongrass candles and lemongrass soap in the cupboards helped.

But I suspect you might need something stronger!

ImperatorFuriosa

Deep clean toilet and grout with bleach. New carpets if possible (wee may have soaked into the underlay).

Can't afford that at this point in time.

It’s likely to be in the carpets and underlay. If removal isn’t an option then enzyme cleaner might help. It might have soaked through the carpet into the floorboards or concrete too though.

Get that enzyme spray from the vet or pet store that helps to neutralise urine smells.

It’s sometimes difficult to pinpoint where the dried urine is, especially if it soaks into the underlay.

Scrubbing with vinegar sometimes helps too. It smells of vinegar initially but it airs out to a clean, fresh smell. I buy cleaning vinegar from the laundry aisle in the supermarket.

Edited for stupid autocorrects

PocketMacrophobia

I mean I wouldn't recommend this but we just ripped the carpets out and lived with concrete floors for a while. But in our case the carpets were so old cleaning would have turned then to dust I think. Also no kids at that point.

Bare floors would be preferable to pee smelling carpets. You could get some rugs for the rooms that need the warmth of carpet, or even just use some old blankets or towels on the floor. I grew up with bare concrete floors with rugs. It was fine. Lovely and cool in summer. If it's wooden floorboards they might need to dry out from the pee anyway.

In the last unit that we rented, it was pretty obvious that previous tenants had had cats due to the rips in the fly screens. When we had a burst pipe, the lounge/dining area carpet got wet. We had recently bought a carpet cleaner, so just sucked it up with that. As it was drying, the smell of urine was horrible. It did however disappear once the carpet was completely dry (another day or two).

The smell did return when we got the carpets shampooed as we left and the landlord did an inspection (was thinking of selling) after the realestate agent (who said there was no smell when she did the inspection). I told her that we had the same thing happen when we had the water leak. It didn’t smell at first, but did for the next couple of days. Luckily I had also pointed out the rips in the screens on my report and noted that they appeared to be form cats.

I did use some Shake and Vac as well, but not sure if it made any long term difference or not.

Hopefully your carpet will stop smelling soon too OP.

ImperatorFuriosa

In the last unit that we rented, it was pretty obvious that previous tenants had had cats due to the rips in the fly screens. When we had a burst pipe, the lounge/dining area carpet got wet. We had recently bought a carpet cleaner, so just sucked it up with that. As it was drying, the smell of urine was horrible. It did however disappear once the carpet was completely dry (another day or two).

The smell did return when we got the carpets shampooed as we left and the landlord did an inspection (was thinking of selling) after the realestate agent (who said there was no smell when she did the inspection). I told her that we had the same thing happen when we had the water leak. It didn’t smell at first, but did for the next couple of days. Luckily I had also pointed out the rips in the screens on my report and noted that they appeared to be form cats.

I did use some Shake and Vac as well, but not sure if it made any long term difference or not.

Hopefully your carpet will stop smelling soon too OP.

DP suggested shake and vac. Im like what's that? :lol:

ImperatorFuriosa

Bicarb sprinkled on the carpets and left for a few hours then vacuumed up?

I was kind of thinking of that, I have heard about it. Might be worth a go.

Weird one, but do you have roller wardrobe doors? (The sideways ones?)

My parents bought a house and mum couldn't get the wee stink out from her room. Definitely wasn't any of our animals!

It took months but eventually she worked out that the rollers/runners on her wardrobe were absolutely CAKED in animal filth. Then when she took the doors off, the entire runner section was dried wee & poop.

Everytime she would shower in the ensuite (very poor ventilation), the steam would dampen the runners and then when she obviously moved the door to get dressed, the

stench would just about knock her out.

One day she had an absolute gut full, I came home from school to find her ripping all the carpet up 😳😂 she then went to Bunnings and bought some paint. We lived on painted concrete floors for about 3 years 🤷‍♀️ and she had no doors on her wardrobe....😂

ImperatorFuriosa

Weird one, but do you have roller wardrobe doors? (The sideways ones?)

My parents bought a house and mum couldn't get the wee stink out from her room. Definitely wasn't any of our animals!

It took months but eventually she worked out that the rollers/runners on her wardrobe were absolutely CAKED in animal filth. Then when she took the doors off, the entire runner section was dried wee & poop.

Everytime she would shower in the ensuite (very poor ventilation), the steam would dampen the runners and then when she obviously moved the door to get dressed, the

stench would just about knock her out.

One day she had an absolute gut full, I came home from school to find her ripping all the carpet up 😳😂 she then went to Bunnings and bought some paint. We lived on painted concrete floors for about 3 years 🤷‍♀️ and she had no doors on her wardrobe....😂

Yes, yes we do. In the 20 years we've owned this house we've live in it for 3 years. :lol: the doors are the 1970s original. Finally dead. They were fine and looked "modern". :ninja:

Silverstreak

Maybe sugar soap walls and skirting boards? But yeah, it's probably the carpet underlay.

In a previous rental we had terrible old carpet that a dog had obviously once peed on, it used to smell when we used the central heating. The only thing that fixed the smell was when the living room flooded due to silly positioning of ventilation grates below garden level (!), which meant we were allowed to rip up the carpet and underlay and mop everything down.

MintyBiscuit

Cat pee is hard, we had spraying issues with two of ours and we’re still trying to get it out of soft furnishings. We’ve used vinegar to clean any remnants, bicarb left for a few hours then vacuumed up, and then febreze spray until soaked then left to dry. It’s mostly gone, we occasionally get a whiff and hit it with febreze again. It’s a nightmare, and that’s without any carpet to deal with

This is why I don't agree with the pet thing for landlords. Bloody expensive to fix up afterward. If I ever owned a rental it would be full tiles or floorboards throughout.

Pet wee enzyme cleaner, followed by one of those powder then vac things a few days later.

Agree grout cleaning makes a big difference too,

Kiwi Bicycle

This is why I don't agree with the pet thing for landlords. Bloody expensive to fix up afterward. If I ever owned a rental it would be full tiles or floorboards throughout.

Unless you seal them properly, tiles (the grout between them, that is) and wooden boards will absorb and retain smells.

So I think sheet lino or polished concrete would be the way to go.

Yeah I would rip up the carpet while/if the place is still empty and just start fresh. There is nothing worse than someone else's stink!

Unless you seal them properly, tiles (the grout between them, that is) and wooden boards will absorb and retain smells.

Yeah. I'd probably get tiles and boards that could be completely removed after. Bit cold for the renter but they can supply their own rugs etc. They'd stay in place until the house was either sold or I moved back into it. Not planning on doing that any time soon though. If ever.

ImperatorFuriosa
[quote=Biscuits post_id=89597 time=1617946305 user_id=155] Yeah I would rip up the carpet while/if the place is still empty and just start fresh. There is nothing worse than someone else's stink! [/quote] We can't, we moved in.

Advertisement