IGNORED

It started with a DNA test...

Not So Retro

Not So Retro

My cousin, who is retired and has gotten deeply into family history, bought me a DNA test. I'm pretty hopeless at geography so was looking online at maps to see the various places I am from (the flags in my profile) and how close they are to each other. From there I bought a large map of the world (such a bargain off FB) and a globe. Then another globe, and another and now I have eleven of them, all different sizes and styles with another one ordered online and on the way.

So, what do you collect and how did it come about?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Not So Retro

• blackcat20

• overlytired

• Spidey_Senses

Top Posters In This Topic

I collect flamingos.

Not sure how it started, probably just because I like the look of them and they're pink. Oh maybe my first one was a garden one! I love kitsch stuff.

Now I have over 30 but am running out of room in the house(and DH doesn't much like them lol, and DD prefers peacocks.) I'm lusting over some wall ones though. One day.

ClaudiaCosette

Great collection OP! I love maps and globes.

Flamingos are pretty great too.

I don't really collect anything, but my DD has a unicorn collection (an easy one because unicorn stuff is everywhere).

ETA: I tried to thank [mention]Not So Retro[/mention] but keep getting an "invalid thank" message.

Silverstreak

I collect books. It started in Grade 3, when I read my first "big" book called No Flying in the House! I was a second hand book collector for years, but I've given away most of my paperbacks and prefer to store books on my Kindle. Although DS is now building up quite a collection of paper books, so I can't really get away from them!

DH has a nice collection of echidna figurines from when he was younger, as well as lego and model trains.

For about a year I collected paper train tickets, then when my drawer got full I thought "What the heck?" and threw them all out! Also did the swap card thing for a bit in the 80s.

Jugs.

I use them for a variety of purposes - small ones for milk for tea and coffee, larger ones for juice at the table, pretty ones for being pretty, large tall ones for flowers.

I have lots but the one I love most is this one, my late sister bought it from an op shop in the early 1970's - there is a generosity and softness to it.

Lee-s-jug-2.jpg

I also have a small 'collection' of Carlton Ware - i bought my first piece in 1979, but I'm not an avid collector - I only buy items that I would use, not anything and everything, or only in one design as some people do. So I have a small teapot (given to me by a member of DH's family), some cake plates, little dishes for jam and butter etc.

I collect lunch bags. I have 20 or so - picking which bag to use helps motivate me to pack my lunch.

DP collects plants. It started during the first COVID lockdown and has gotten out of control since then. In a small 3br unit we have about 115 indoor plants.

Seayork2002

Plastic containers, judging by one of my kitchen cupboards and the comments my family makes.

Going by that thinking I collect chocolate I have entire cupboard for it but I seem to have started a cactus and succulent collection thanks to ds when he was little loved them then I started too. Postcards from art exhibitions and deliberately tacky fridge magnets

Oriental lily

Big collection of Victorian Brooches

I love buying sewing fabric even when I don't have a project planned. So I have accumulated a massive stash even though I have only been sewing since July .

And lace trimmings. Love lace trimmings .

Ron Swanson

No Flying in the House!

That was my favourite book in late primary school! The teacher read it to the class. as it was her favourite book growing up.

Silverstreak

No Flying in the House!

That was my favourite book in late primary school! The teacher read it to the class. as it was her favourite book growing up.

Ah, how lovely! I adored that book and literally read it to pieces, it fell apart a year or two ago! Such a great book and beautiful illustrations too.

I used to collect Cuckoo clocks but lost many in my divorce.

Love the art of them plus the mechanical side.

They need to come from the black Forrest or from Switzerland.

Just love them.

I’ve been after a cuckoo clock from Switzerland with the characters from the childhood book called Heidi.

Wine and handbags. My bags aren't fact brands, mostly Spencer and Rutherford and Fossil, with the odd Coach, but I love them all.

I have serious wine habit, we have around 400 bottles currently. I love red wine.

Lukes mummi

My cousin, who is retired and has gotten deeply into family history, bought me a DNA test. I'm pretty hopeless at geography so was looking online at maps to see the various places I am from (the flags in my profile) and how close they are to each other. From there I bought a large map of the world (such a bargain off FB) and a globe. Then another globe, and another and now I have eleven of them, all different sizes and styles with another one ordered online and on the way.

Was the DNA test useful? I’m thinking to get a kit for my hubby for Christmas. Not sure about the “ skeletons in the cupboard “ issue though. DHs late parents got married when their eldest son was 2, but everyone seems to assume they have the same father as they look alike. Hope that makes sense.

Yarn, because “collect” sounds so much nicer than “hoard” :lol:

Also books, especially Australian children’s books from the 60s-80s. Most of these I read and a child and decided as an adult that I had to have them.

I collect decorative glass bowls and vases as pieces of art. They are dotted throughout the house and give me great pleasure. My favourite is one of my grandmothers vases that my mum has given me. It is a rainbow swirl and probably from Italy although its history has been lost.

Seayork2002

I collect decorative glass bowls and vases as pieces of art. They are dotted throughout the house and give me great pleasure. My favourite is one of my grandmothers vases that my mum has given me. It is a rainbow swirl and probably from Italy although its history has been lost.

Murano ones? Some of them are lovely

Not So Retro

Was the DNA test useful? I’m thinking to get a kit for my hubby for Christmas. Not sure about the “ skeletons in the cupboard “ issue though. DH's late parents got married when their eldest son was 2, but everyone seems to assume they have the same father as they look alike. Hope that makes sense.

It was. There was a little bit of possible controversy with my Grandparents/Great Aunt's husband but a match with one of my Dad's cousins put that to rest. In spite of my cousin (actually my Dad's cousin's son, but I call him my brother) and I having a very strong resemblance, he has aboriginal heritage and I don't. I was and wasn't surprised I matched much more closely to him than his 2 brothers. My surprise was being part Norwegian. I bought kits for my boys at Christmas when they were on sale. Two of them look more like me/my side and one looks more like their dad, so it will be interesting to see who they match with/what their ethnicity estimate is. As they haven't done the tests yet my top 4 matches are my sister's son, another of my Dad's cousins on his Mum's side, my brother/cousin, then another of Dad's cousins from his Dad's side.

Oh... and here I was expecting this to be a thread where someone discovered their parents aren't their parents...

Nah I don't collect anything. I collected shells when I was a kid, all sorts of fancy ones that I'd spend my pocket money on. If only I could get my kids onto something wholesome like that, instead they collect kmart.

Spidey_Senses

Thats a great story OP :)

I collect Minis (as in models of the car) because I admire the ingenuity behind the original 60s design and because I used to want a mini cooper (so stylish and zippy) .

Now that I have 3 kids I would never get a mini actually I drive a huge 4wd tank :P

Spidey_Senses

Wine and handbags. My bags aren't fact brands, mostly Spencer and Rutherford and Fossil, with the odd Coach, but I love them all.

Fossil bags are great. I love every design I have ever seen and they are really, really good quality for the price. I will have to check out S&R. I love coach designs but cant afford them.

Not So Retro

Thats a great story OP :)

I collect Minis (as in models of the car) because I admire the ingenuity behind the original 60s design and because I used to want a mini cooper (so stylish and zippy) .

Now that I have 3 kids I would never get a mini actually I drive a huge 4wd tank :P

When we only had one boy our second car was a '72 beetle. I still have our little collection of VW models, including a Karmann Ghia. Funny how I always thought my ex's midlife crisis would be buying a KG, I sure would have preferred that to him cheating!

Advertisement