IGNORED

Can you recommend me a book to read out loud?

TinCat

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TinCat

• Fruitmincepies

• Seayork2002

• MaryanneK

Top Posters In This Topic

ClaudiaCosette

My 7 year old love Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and I enjoyed reading it to her too. It was lots of fun. The other books I've read aloud to her (and my 8 year old) have been ones from my own childhood - currently doing Baby-Sitters Club and we have read a couple of Ann M Martin's other books too, as well as some Astrid Lindgren (the Bullerby children was always my favourite, but we have Pippi Longstocking too) and also some Beverly Cleary, like the Ramona books. Oh, and some by Jacqueline Wilson, like the Bed and Breakfast Star. They are still talking about that now a few months later.

On their own, they love the Treehouse books (I found those a bit hard for read alouds because a lot of it is visual), Anh Do's books, like Weir Do and Ninja Kid, and David Walliams too. DD also likes Unicorn Magic (bleurgh) and I'm glad she reads them herself now. So boring and repetitive.

I really like reading old books out loud - lots of opportunities to discuss old fashioned ideas (like boys do jobs outside while girls do cooking and washing, thanks faraway tree), and unfamiliar words and phrases.

Yeah, there were actually a few bits if Roald Dahl that I skipped over when I was reading. Some of its pretty dark and there are a few things I didn't want to explain

A lot of mine have already been mentioned but one that both my DS and DD loved was hover car racer by Matthew Reilly.

I love this idea!

We have read our kids Grizzly Adams and are reading the young readers edition of Penguin Bloom atm. They also loved Storm Boy but were very upset at the ending.

magic_marker

Another vote for Roald Dahl.

David Williams’ books are great to read aloud, too.

It took me a while. I think you mean Walliams.

Jackie French's animal series. My girls (and DH) especially loved me reading "The Camel that crossed Australia". Great fun doing a camel's voice! Learned lots about Australian history too.

nightmarish

Wee Free Men and its sequels by Terry Pratchett. Pratchett’s language is a delight to read out loud, particularly if you can do a bad Scottish accent.

When I saw the title I instantly thought of Terry Pratchett as well. I did The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents with my kids a few years back, Nation would also be a good one.

The Wild Robot by Peter Brown could also be a good one. The language is quite simple but it deals with some interesting concepts. I haven't got to the sequels yet so can't vouch for them.

Spidey_Senses

Harry Potter series?

I am reading these aloud with my 8 and 10yo at the moment. They are absolutely loving it. Im not sure if I will go past the 4th book as from memory they get a bit scarier after that and the younger one doesnt like things that are too spooky.

I'd go the Hobbit, Narnia, LOTR, Harry Potter, the classics basically. Don't worry about it being scary; kids prefer books about kids older than them in my experience.

Advertisement