IGNORED

Can you recommend me a book to read out loud?

TinCat

I'd like to find a book to read aloud to my kids who are 8, and hoping to entice the younger teen too.

We've previously read Alice in Wonderland and lots of picture books but I'm looking for something new.

Please hit me with your suggestions.

Thanks

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TinCat

• Fruitmincepies

• Seayork2002

• MaryanneK

Top Posters In This Topic

A long time ago at a time my kids were more interested in reading by themselves I started to read the Chronicles of Narnia to both my primary aged kids, many fond memories talking about predictions and what happened in the part we read that night.

If I ever become a grandparent I will insist on being that grandparent that reads lol, I'll start them young and I won't let them escape lol

Fruitmincepies

[mention]YTT1[/mention] DD’s grandmother is reading her a famous five book at the moment and it’s wonderful time together.

I agree with 22FMP. I've read the BFG, danny the champion of the world and Fantastic Mr Fox out loud to my kids, similar ages. They've both absolutely loved it - even more than I expected. The language, the stories and the slight naughtiness is just a total winner for kids. And we've really enjoyed reading them together even though the eldest could read it to herself if she wanted to.

Seayork2002

Roald Dahl

Ds13 has asked for these to be read aloud to him again just recently

Another has been Detectives guide to ocean travel

Some we’ve read recently which my kids 7-11 have loved include the lion the witch and the wardrobe series, a penny to remember by kirsty Murray, the mysterious Benedict society by Trenton Lee Stewart and Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain - particularly The Black Cauldron.

A series of unfortunate events?

Possibly some Judy Blume.. maybe Superfudge etc.

A lot of books have a really great audio adaption now. My son loved the Just series by Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton both on audio and book form

Seayork2002

Another vote for Roald Dahl.

David Williams’ books are great to read aloud, too.

Thanks I was trying to remember his books but was to lazy to go to DSs bookshelves and check it

Wee Free Men and its sequels by Terry Pratchett. Pratchett’s language is a delight to read out loud, particularly if you can do a bad Scottish accent.

Fruitmincepies

I really like reading old books out loud - lots of opportunities to discuss old fashioned ideas (like boys do jobs outside while girls do cooking and washing, thanks faraway tree), and unfamiliar words and phrases.

Winter frost

My daughter (7) loves listening to the harry potter series. I am being a b it lazy and using stephen fry but we are listening together.

Otherwise the treehouse series, wizard of oz (we have a slightly condensed version), charlie and the chocolate factpry, the secret garden

I’ve read Roald Dahl books, Wizard of Oz and The Enchanted Wood. My girls (8&6) also enjoy listening to Alice Miranda and Stella Batts audiobooks.

Harry Potter

Nevermoor series by Jessica Townsend ( in order!!!! “Nevermoor” is the first book btw ) It does start as a dark weird not-a-kids book but read on. I’d say good for 10 year olds reading by themselves. Totally fine for 8 y o reading with parents and will not sound like a “kids” book for teens. Main character in the book turns 11. It is a newish book written by an Aussie, Kmart/target will likely stock these.

We read it together with my eldest. On day one I couldn’t stop reading, around 10 pm I lost my voice and my kid took over, I made him stop around midnight. I couldn’t wait till bedtime next day to know what happens next, so I bought it on my kindle 5 mins later and finished it that night. Turned out my son couldn’t wait either... he got a torch and finished book one at 4 am.

The Silver Arrow (Lev Grossman). Gentle, thoughtful, delightful adventure. New York Times best seller? Available at BigW/Kmart I think.

100% agree with PP's rave review for Nevermoor.

How to Train Your Dragon.

Heidi.

Great thread!

Thank so much!

I have a bunch of Roald Dahl and will start with them.

I've been hesitant about reading things we've already seen the movie of but I forgot how much my oldest loved finding the differences when we watched Harry Potter the first time so it's a great idea.

All brilliant ideas thank you. I'm inspired to start this again.

And some of the ideas reminded me I have boxes of books stored at my parents from when I was a kid! Who knows what treasures they hold!

Advertisement