IGNORED

Does anyone do laundry in cold water?

TheMagician

I was a reluctant convert to washing in cold, because in the UK we always washed at 40 degrees. But the argument that it was better for your clothes, you could mix colours and save power won me over. I still needed it to happen in a front loader washing cycle and line dry in sunshine to kill the bacteria. I even wash towels in cold now.

Seayork2002

I was a reluctant convert to washing in cold, because in the UK we always washed at 40 degrees. But the argument that it was better for your clothes, you could mix colours and save power won me over. I still needed it to happen in a front loader washing cycle and line dry in sunshine to kill the bacteria. I even wash towels in cold now.

Yeah it was being in the UK that got me knowing washing machine had degress, but I hated having a washing machine in the kitchen (although due to my laziness it was not all bad)

Seayork2002

Actually while we are on the exciting topic of washing does anyone know how to get boy smell out of school shirts, even after I wash them they still smell

I get stinky husband smell out with hot washes LOL

weirdly DH never smells but DS sure does

Cold only here. I use luke warm water for handwashing but that's more for the comfort of my hands than anything else.

Vomit - I rinse it off in the laundry sink, then into a cold wash. Same with blood and poop - (although haven't had to deal with poop for many a year).

Proteins set with hot water - and I don't want any of those body product proteins setting into fabric.

Hang the items out in the sun to dry and Bob's your uncle. Clean and no smell and have never been cross-contaminated by the cold wash laundry.

ETA: My machine is now 21 years old - it's so old, I have a choice of cold, warm, hot - none of this fancy temperature stuff :sweat_smile:

Exact temp is a front load vs top load thing.

My parents have a new top loader which is cold warm hot.

Crazyone4532

Actually while we are on the exciting topic of washing does anyone know how to get boy smell out of school shirts, even after I wash them they still smell

I get stinky husband smell out with hot washes LOL

weirdly DH never smells but DS sure does

Try a longer wash (1.5hours or more) or 60 if the clothes can handle it. Or you could give them a soak in napisan before you wash if you’d don’t want to do a longer or hotter wash.

Mine only connects to the cold.

Mostly wash in cold.

Towels and linen go on the linens cycle.

Delicates on the hand wash cycle.

Occasionally I do a super wash for anything that’s looking “blah”. It’s a good all over rub with sard soap, prewash with vanish whites nappy san, hot wash with steam clean and extra rinse. Sunshine makes a huge difference too.

Drying in sun?

Seayork2002

Drying in sun?

Yeah we do that I thought that would help but no difference that I can tell

I do cold, basically everything in together as default.

I do separate out the knits, and do them on the delicates cycle which I think uses warm.

I separate my washing, I always have because I want to and it takes all of 20 seconds to do so. I separate , I do not care what others do and I do not judge others who don't......seriously who cares?

You’ve been around long enough to know how these things go....

I remember it a few times over the years. One poster was particularly outspoken about knowing if your whites hadn’t been washed separately, also if you didn’t iron and cheap shoes - that one gave my some serious giggles!

Surely for most people they only think about it in these threads, other than that it doesn’t even cross your mind...

Actually, I think you’re meant to wash your hands in warm water if available? Aren’t you?

Only for comfort; it doesn't make a difference to hygiene.

I separate my washing, I always have because I want to and it takes all of 20 seconds to do so. I separate , I do not care what others do and I do not judge others who don't......seriously who cares?

You’ve been around long enough to know how these things go....

I remember it a few times over the years. One poster was particularly outspoken about knowing if your whites hadn’t been washed separately, also if you didn’t iron and cheap shoes - that one gave my some serious giggles!

Surely for most people they only think about it in these threads, other than that it doesn’t even cross your mind...

I thought we'd got to the stage where people didn't bother posting that stuff anymore because they could not be bothered dealing with the outrage.

Vomit - I rinse it off in the laundry sink, then into a cold wash.

Do you use a wooden spoon to push the chunks through the holes like I do ? :)

Cold wash here and bedding is done on the bedding cycle but I don’t even know what temp that is. 9 and 10yo do most of the washing and sort it into colours and whites. Works for us.

Is it a dedicated laundry wooden spoon? I need something to help squish when I'm washing nappies! :lol:

Inkogneatoh

I have only ever washed in cold water. The hot water isn't even hooked up to the machine. My clothes are normally dried in the dryer though, as my fingers don't do pegs.

Until I was about 11 hot water for washing (and baths in winter as the hot water system was small) was boiled in a copper, and then from 14 to 18, all hot water required a fire. So it's just the way I grew up. I'm also not as old as that information may lead you to believe either, we just lived in some interesting places.

Seayork2002

I have only ever washed in cold water. The hot water isn't even hooked up to the machine. My clothes are normally dried in the dryer though, as my fingers don't do pegs.

Until I was about 11 hot water for washing (and baths in winter as the hot water system was small) was boiled in a copper, and then from 14 to 18, all hot water required a fire. So it's just the way I grew up. I'm also not as old as that information may lead you to believe either, we just lived in some interesting places.

same! (I was born mid 70's and moved a lot as a kid) and my uncle still had a hot water system that you had to light with a match till the late 90's

LemonMyrtle

Is it a dedicated laundry wooden spoon? I need something to help squish when I'm washing nappies! :lol:

I have a dedicated laundry wooden spoon! My hands are super sensitive to anything and everything, so I can’t hand wash stuff (even rubber gloves irritate my hands). I agitate with the spoon instead. It’s a big long handled one. DH thought I was crazy, but they used to wash clothes in a tub with a big paddle, it’s not a new idea.

My loads are

underwear, socks, pjyamas etc.

'normal' clothes

sheets in one

and then towels in another

not always this sometimes if we are going away and I want is all done for when we get back I will mix loads but generally keep it seperate

yes i always separate like this - not for colours.

Advertisement