IGNORED

What's your favourite winter pastime?

Darryl

Soups, stews and slow cooked meals.

I have a confession...... When we renovated I got rid of our wood fire heater, I loved it but I became paranoid we would have a flu fire and the house would burn down either overnight or while I was at work and the kids were home (older kids). I just stopped using it!

I actually had no idea flu fires existed until one year I got someone out to clean our flu and he said it was good that we did as a bird made a nest in our flu and it would have gone up in flames.... Then he said the next suburb south had a three wall rating in the flu and he said he couldn't understand why all areas had that rating - he said it would stop roof fires. Then he told me to be careful about rats because sometimes they nest next to the flu and their nest could heat up and catch fire in the roof.

So yeah, I got rid of the fire :( I miss it but I don't miss it as well....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Silverstreak

• Ozgirl

• Fruitmincepies

• Crombek

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I also like walking the dog in the freezing early mornings rugged up in multiple layers and even two layer gloves. We get heavy frosts most mornings in the part of town that we are in. It's known has the sleeping hollow lol. The frost is so heavy it looks like it snowed!

Putting on all my clothing, and my UGG boots and then hiding under the doona for the whole season if possible! Work and kids get in the way of that though.

Listening to lovely rain on the tin roof.

Making casseroles.

Reading beside the wood heater.

Going for walks on those cold, sunny days when it is easy to walk briskly.

Watching the weeds and the grass taking a break from growing.

Bird nesting time.

I agree - we have lots of soups (pea & ham, chicken noodle) rather than casseroles.

Autumn & winter have best temperatures for long walks. It’s too hot on most summer days.

Silverstreak

Picked up my new tracky dacks. My legs have never been warmer. Although, I'm not a fan of the wide, stiff elastic band at the waist, what's up with that? It's the same with the new tracksuit pants that DH and DS wear. What happened to the good old days of comfy traditional gathered elastic waists and ankles? I don't want streamlined tracksuit pants, kind of defeats the point.

magic_marker

Curling up with a good book. Starting new crochet projects and going for walks.

Going to try out some soups this winter to keep our fluids up!

Little Bear

Counting the days till spring comes 😛

Pre children it was nice to lay in bed with the electric blanket on and read a good book!!

Holding on to a warm mug of tea or cup of soup and sipping it.

Standing in the warmth of the sunshine mid morning to defrost.

I do like watching the mist across the river at Stanthorpe or sitting in front of a wood fireplace (not such a fan of the smell of smoke on my clothes).

GrannySmith

Red wine. I love red wine but only enjoy it in cold weather. Walks in the bush when it’s windy in the tree tops but sheltered on the ground. Frosts, we had our first frost last week and I opened up the kitchen doors and got the kids out playing on the crunchy grass, I think I enjoyed it more than then. This is the third time I’ve posted in this thread, I really really love winter.

• 2 weeks later...
Silverstreak

Just updating to say that my burgundy jumper has arrived and I love it. It is so comfy and it is longline too, so it covers my tummy properly. Haven't worn a jumper in years, it's hard getting a plus size jumper that covers properly (and doesn't cost a fortune.) Spent the other day in trackies, jumper and slippers, sooooo good.

overlytired

You get proper winter don’t you @Crombek ? Pretend winter is much better. Move to Perth! English people move to perth and mid-winter ask when winter starts and wear tshirts throughout. Next winter however they have acclimatised and rug up like the rest of us, pretending that it’s winter.

Well, about as proper as it gets in Australia. Not, like, Canadian Rockies cold, no :lol: It was 8 degrees at 4.30pm today.

The Rockies aren't THAT cold; they get warm air coming from the Pacific.

When it's-30C out, my favourite pastime is staying indoors, although dressed properly a brisk walk is ok.

Givingitanothergo

It’s the same as my favourite summer pastime. Napping!!

I nap both days of every weekend. And not a little kip on the lounge. I’m in bed and under the doona

Advertisement