IGNORED

(Friday fluffy) what do you miss?

Seayork2002

Seayork2002

- haberdashery shops and yarn shops (The Black Cat shops especially)

- bustling department stores with a full range of departments and products and lots of staff to help you.

- unpretentious children's birthday parties - just kids playing, some party food and a slightly lopsided homemade birthday cake.

All of these. I loved browsing all the buttons and ribbons in the haberdashery. Even now there's only Spotlight, I still can't go in there for anything else without browsing the buttons and ribbons, much to the dismay of whatever niece or nephew I'm dragging along to get school project/ costume supplies. Aunty..........noooooooo!!

Where i grew up in Sydney there was local famous haberdashers where all the school kids got their uniforms from and when we needed material it was cut on a old table with a ruler stuck on, it had everything and anything and we all loved that shop, sadly closed now I think

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seayork2002

• Anne Bonny

• Kiwi Bicycle

• Jenflea

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss:

- bread in waxed paper wrapping.

- beautiful satin covered and lined easter egg caskets.

- friends dropping in unexpectedly

- old style cake shops

- haberdashery shops and yarn shops (The Black Cat shops especially)

- bustling department stores with a full range of departments and products and lots of staff to help you.

- unpretentious children's birthday parties - just kids playing, some party food and a slightly lopsided homemade birthday cake.

You would like the birthday parties we have for DD. Party food and home made cake at the park. With bubbles, soccer balls, pin the tail on the donkey etc.

Not my house, but my parents live in the country. I love when we stay with them how everyone drops in all the time. My mum always has a homemade cake or biscuits ready for the drop ins (which might explain why so many people pop over randomly!).

When my mum split from my step dad we were in sizzler every few days, it was at the end of our street.

I miss that place too and the video shop nearby we were there loads also

Gosh yes I miss Sizzler. I remember standing in a line that snaked around the block when it first opened. All for.... salad.

ineedmorecoffee

I really miss being able to travel to wherever we want, only being limited by time and money :cry:

I miss not worrying about the health of my aging family.

I miss being a few sizes smaller.

I miss having things to look forward to.

Kiwi Bicycle

I miss that quiet you used to get on Sunday, when none of the shops would be open and it would be a lazy sort of day.

It seems like we’re busy all the time now.

However I don't miss the supermarkets only open to 1pm Saturdays and no chemists at all in the weekends. Working parents were not catered for as supermarkets in NZ didn't do late nights either

Seayork2002

I miss proper children's comics and women's magazines.

Ds makes us buy a Beano comic every week at $5.40 it adds up but he loves reading them so we persist buy there is not many pages

Beano etc was what I had in mind [mention]Seayork2002[/mention]

Actually the crux of the comic issue for me is: I miss middle childhood. Where the feck has it gone? Kids go from preschooler to tweenager (and they're consumerised about the same time they've potty trained).

So a bit ranty sorry, but that's what I miss, middle childhood.

Givingitanothergo

I miss my grandparents.. and how much they’d love my children

I miss the ice cream truck that would come past my old place every Saturday afternoon and he knew he’d get a sale

I miss the ice cream truck that would come past my old place every Saturday afternoon and he knew he’d get a sale

Yeah, what happened to ice cream trucks? It's not the weekend anymore without Greensleeves being played both slowed down and sped up in turn as it went around the streets.

I miss manners and common courtesy and random happy chats in the shops with strangers. Now everyone is inside their phones and do not gaf about anyone else.

Not So Retro

There's one who drives down my workplace street most weeks (there are houses on one side of the road and commercial on the other). He never comes in to our carpark and I would buy a freckle cone with a flake for sure! Same with the guy from Nonna's bakery selling Italian bread.

I miss climbing trees. I spent half my childhood up one tree or another. Just batted the redbacks away and settled in to read or chat or whatever. I never even see trees you could climb anymore. All the low branches are always removed.

I miss climbing trees. I spent half my childhood up one tree or another. Just batted the redbacks away and settled in to read or chat or whatever. I never even see trees you could climb anymore. All the low branches are always removed.

Imagine the bliss of tree gardens especially for reading in. Turning over a new leaf literally.

I miss old-style family holiday homes/units. Don't get me wrong - I love a bit of glamour and comfort, but old style family holidays were great.

I grew up going to fairly basic old houses for holidays at Noosaville. Lino floors, no TV, beds on the enclosed verandahs. Didn't matter if you got sand inside. Always felt so relaxing - and affordable. Mornings at the beach, sandwich for lunch, afternoon at the Big Pineapple for a sundae, dinner at the Noosa Heads Hotel, with crumbed cutlets and veg. :)

My grandparents had a holiday home down on the South Coast of NSW. Not many beds, mattresses on the floor, couple of rickety shelves with books nobody read, no tv, big backyard with nothing in it except the redback infested dunny. You were allowed to pee in a bucket at night if you needed to go, but if you had to poop you had to go out back. I pooped in the bucket. I was 6 years old and terrified of my grandmother - she was an utter nutter. I never confessed and they blamed my oldest brother. Serves him right for locking me in the wardrobe. Can't say I actually miss any of that though.

But once in a while we'd stay in a caravan at the coast if someone else was using the holiday house. I loved it. I miss shitty old caravans.

I miss old style caravan parks / campgrounds...

Especially the one that used to be at the end of Hastings St in Noosa... I spent so many holidays there.

Cotton Tree was also great at the Sunshine Coast.

I also remember going the the Main Beach campground at the Gold Coast and just popping over the road to the beach straight after breakfast and not coming back until dark...

acidulous osprey

However I don't miss the supermarkets only open to 1pm Saturdays and no chemists at all in the weekends. Working parents were not catered for as supermarkets in NZ didn't do late nights either

Friday late night shopping started in NZ in the 1970's.

Kiwi Bicycle

Friday late night shopping started in NZ in the 1970's.

Not the supermarkets though.

I miss the idea of friends coming to your home to see you and not to judge. I am so tired of people saying things like "oh I can't have guests my house it too small" or the notion that some people have that their home is too modest to host. It comes up on forums from time to time. I read this and think "who the hell are you friends with and why if they don't like you and are judgemental as hell".

Also I'd much rather have someone drop in and have a toddler play on the floor with toys and have a scone, cup of tea and chat than wrangle that toddler in public and only get half a conversation in.

My house IS small. 2 bedroom, one bathroom type small (I can't rightfully call the study a bedroom as there are no wardrobes or even really room for one!) and I had my friend's 6 yr old come over and ask me why my house was so small.

I'm not friends with his mum anymore.

StillFreddiesMum

I miss having time just to do nothing. When the summer holidays - or even the weekends - seemed to stretch on for ever. As a kid I would play netball on a Saturday morning and then the rest of the weekend just to laze about or do nothing.

As an adult it seems that every moment of my time is already allocated - either work or stuff for the kids or groceries or housework or paying bills. It also seems (pre-Covid) that if you weren't busy, busy, busy all the time you were considered "lazy" and "not putting in the hard yards" or 'not leaning in so you can get the corner office and climb the corporate ladder". It's taken me years to realise that for my MH - I actually need alone time / pottering time / not rushing time and since becoming a mum - oh God - I need that time and head space even more !

Advertisement