IGNORED

(Friday fluffy) what do you miss?

Seayork2002

Seayork2002

I mean this as a fluffy post not a serious I miss family members type thing.

I miss all watching the same tv shows at the same time, yes in a family it can be done ie Lego Masters etc. but I miss the feeling that the whole population seems to watch the same show on the same night so we all talk about it the next day, but then thanks to the internet I guess I like the fact we can talk to people we don't know about it

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seayork2002

• Anne Bonny

• Kiwi Bicycle

• Jenflea

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss when watching TV was almost a sport, you would race to the toilet in the add break and then had you're siblings screaming "hurry up, its back on your missing it". No remote control or rewind. If you missed it, you missed it. You learnt bladder control at an early age!!!

Edited by Ghost Girl

I miss not being glued to our phones all the time. I can't seem to break the spell. I miss being able to switch off a little from work after hours, not having to be attached to a work Facebook page, and check emails 7 days a week when I only work 3.

Yeah I miss the whole fam watching TV together. It was such a cosy feeling. And then talking about it at school the next day; the show I mean.

I miss the attention span I used to have before smartphones.

I miss before "carbs" was a thing, when we thought bread and pasta were health foods because they were low in fat.

I miss being able to fix the tv reception by smacking the back of the box or wiggling the antenna ears.

...but not miss the inevitable sibling with an electromagnetic field the size of Asia who would fritz the TV out anytime they passed certain places in the loungeroom.

Pigeonpairplusone

I definitely miss the excitement of your favourite tv show being on (think Beverly Hills 90210 when I was a teen!) & making my favourite snack during the ad breaks! And then having to wait a whole week before the next episode.

ClaudiaCosette

Along with missing TV shows only being broadcast at a certain time, I miss the anticipation of going to the cinema. You only had one chance to see a movie, before a very long wait before it came out on video, and an even longer wait before it would be on TV.

Oh, and related to that, I miss newspapers, where I would read about what movies were coming out. Now I have no idea, and maybe I'm missing something good.

Seayork2002

I love a lot of modern technology but I miss not knowing it existed and living with out it so not knowing any different

I miss being able to read for a whole day!

Since I had DD, even if I have the day to myself(rare) or even half a day, I just don't have the attention span anymore.

Maybe because DD is always in the back of my mind..am I due to pick her up, has she eaten, is she being too quiet??

or maybe phones and screens have ruined my attention span.

Silverstreak

[mention]Jenflea[/mention] I am the same, since having DS I am more 'on alert' and will be thinking about other things in the back of my mind. I do like to unwind with a book once DS has gone to sleep though, at that point I think my mind and body relaxes, knowing I'm off duty for a while.

Silverstreak

I think I miss the simplicity of life. I do appreciate technology, but life was simpler when we only had one landline, no mobile phones, no internet and no cable TV/Netflix. I'd check out the Greenguide and circle what I wanted to watch for the week and on weekends DH and I would head to Blockbuster for a video!

I miss people being present instead of scrolling through their phone constantly.

Its like people don't even realise they do it, they'll be at a dinner etc and start looking. Its so rude!

I miss that quiet you used to get on Sunday, when none of the shops would be open and it would be a lazy sort of day.

It seems like we’re busy all the time now.

I miss that quiet you used to get on Sunday, when none of the shops would be open and it would be a lazy sort of day.

I now find it really bizarre when I go back to visit my mum in the town that I spent my younger teens. It’s actually eerie driving down the Main Street or even walking through the shopping centre to get to the supermarket, seeing all of these shops closed and it’s still daylight!

Makes me want to move back up the coast (not that actual town).

ImperatorFuriosa

I miss film cameras, I miss the time before smart phones, albeit it was a bit boring sometimes. I miss good old shabby Subiaco with the markets, l miss going down to blockbuster to pick out a stack of videos with DP on a Friday night then having pizza, I miss the tedious but fun of getting around on public transport when I was younger and I miss Sizzler.

Seayork2002

When my mum split from my step dad we were in sizzler every few days, it was at the end of our street.

I miss that place too and the video shop nearby we were there loads also

Kiwi Bicycle

I miss milk in glass bottles, delivered to your letterbox and popping open the foil lid with your thumb and licking the cream stuck underneath.

I miss being out in the garden all afternoon, laying in the hut I built with big squushy couch cushions to lay on, reading my book and falling asleep in the sun, before running and jumping on the trampoline or hopping into the hot spa pool.

I miss the days of an order of "minimum chips" at the fish and chippo being enough to feed four people. The paper parcel was almost the size of a pillow and would hardly fit in your bike basket!

Move to Europe! They still do this.

I miss:

- bread in waxed paper wrapping.

- beautiful satin covered and lined easter egg caskets.

- friends dropping in unexpectedly

- old style cake shops

- haberdashery shops and yarn shops (The Black Cat shops especially)

- bustling department stores with a full range of departments and products and lots of staff to help you.

- unpretentious children's birthday parties - just kids playing, some party food and a slightly lopsided homemade birthday cake.

Seayork2002

Being able to walk into a shop and although there might have been a queue once you were served it took 30 seconds now there are 50 different questions, press a button for a survey, price not showing up, loyalty program issues it might be just me but buying things in person seems to take forever for me these days

Another thing I miss is proper ils fashioned hamburgers. Where I live has been gentrified and old fashioned hamburger shops don’t exist. I found one recently on holiday and I could have eaten my body weight in them.

Another thing I miss is proper ils fashioned hamburgers. Where I live has been gentrified and old fashioned hamburger shops don’t exist. I found one recently on holiday and I could have eaten my body weight in them.

A local place (that we only went to in emergencies) has recently changed hands and has wonderful old fashioned styled burgers... and the chips - to die for! DD is partial to pineapple fritters. They'll often 'make one up' for us if they've run out by the time we get there. She says they are the best she's ever had.

- haberdashery shops and yarn shops (The Black Cat shops especially)

- bustling department stores with a full range of departments and products and lots of staff to help you.

- unpretentious children's birthday parties - just kids playing, some party food and a slightly lopsided homemade birthday cake.

All of these. I loved browsing all the buttons and ribbons in the haberdashery. Even now there's only Spotlight, I still can't go in there for anything else without browsing the buttons and ribbons, much to the dismay of whatever niece or nephew I'm dragging along to get school project/ costume supplies. Aunty..........noooooooo!!

Advertisement