As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Lazy nibbles options, help

MaryanneK

So I need to take something for pre dinner nibbles to a party tonight. Nothing fancy, general bring a plate buffet style.

But I need to bring something that is going to cause me ZERO effort. Normally I would make a bit of an effort but today is just impossible. Ideally today I would buy a box of cheezels and turn up with that! I do want something a bit nicer than that but can't be dealing with even the smallest amount of effort. So hit me with your suggestions please! At this stage it's going to be buying some dip and crackers but that's so boring....

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• STBG 2

• MaryanneK

• Silverstreak

• Rosie28

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a platter from the deli at coles/woolies.

Or precut cheeses, precut salami or kabana dip, biscuits, cherry tomatoes, baby cucumbers. Throw it all on a nice plate and you are done!

Jersey Caramel

Those fancy crackers - the ones with stuff like apricots and almonds baked into them - and a round of nice brie. If you can be bothered, you could add some almonds or pecans and some dried apricots or olives to the plate.

I also recommend the fancy cheese and deli platter. As long as it’s fancier than cubes of tasty cheese and jatz crackers, it looks like you put in more effort than you actually did.

You can even get a pre package cheese platter pack with a variety of cheeses. Then a pack of crackers or two and some twists (you know the pastry ones near the crackers) and you are done. Fruit of you can be assed. And a bottle of plonk.

Outsourcing is about as minimal effort you could get. I agree with others and ask the supermarket to make you a serving box.

I am not sure where you are but if you have a big IGA with a gourmet deli they make the absolute best platters, so good you can almost pretend you've done it yourself.

Take the cheezels too.

I can't eat Cheezels unless I am in my own home because I end up with an orange face, orange fingers and usually orange crumbs down my clothes.

Maybe I am doing them wrong but I would never trust myself to eat them at a dinner party. :lol:

Those fancy crackers - the ones with stuff like apricots and almonds baked into them - and a round of nice brie. If you can be bothered, you could add some almonds or pecans and some dried apricots or olives to the plate.

The fancy apricot ones with a creamy blue cheese are the bomb!

Not Escapin Xmas

A whole round (or half round) or Brie from Harris Farm. And biscuits. Everyone will oooh and aaah I promise :)

riotproof

Are you concerned that someone else will bring cheese? It is probably too late to order a deli platter but I would just go and grab anything from the antipasti section at a supermarket and. Chuck it on a platter with some breadsticks or fancy crackers.

Inkogneatoh

If you can gather half an effort, a softened block/tub of cream cheese and a small jar of corn relish mixed together is a easy "homemade" dip. Or a block of cream cheese and packet of french onion dip with a little milk to loosen it up. Last time we made dips, the egg dip was cream cheese, boiled eggs and gherkin relish (but in that case the eggs were surplus from something else).

I was just coming in to say you can't go wrong with a "home made" corn relish dip. Old fashioned, but yum and popular.

Not So Retro

I was just coming in to say you can't go wrong with a "home made" corn relish dip. Old fashioned, but yum and popular.

Same, but we make it with sour cream, not cream cheese as a previous poster said

seemingly

You could go with some bakery goods, like tear-and-share breads or those savory scrolls, a cake loaf of some kind or some easy oven nibbles, like a tray of mini quiches, spring rolls or spinach puffs you heat up before bringing?

A whole round (or half round) or Brie from Harris Farm. And biscuits. Everyone will oooh and aaah I promise :)

This is what I do. I have a big round wooden board and I put on a whole round Brie, pile of small slices of smoked salmon folded over, a lovely baguette thinly sliced, and a small white bowl of big green chilli olives. All from Harris Farm.

Could also add another small white bowl of salted cashews or pistachios.

WaitForMe

Cheese and/or dips is my go to.

If I want to fake effort, some pre marinated chicken wings or drummettes (actually what ever happened to drummettes haven't seen them in a while....), or premade lamb koftas etc, stick in the oven, stick on a plate, wrap with foil, done. Can add a dip/sauce for them too.

Princess Peach

My MIL makes one with cream cheese & those spreadable pickles, it’s very yum.

Advertisement