IGNORED

Here comes Mother's Day....

LifesGood

LifesGood

It's such a loaded day for so many of us, for so many reasons. Do you look forward to it? dread it? ignore it? And what is planned for the day?

For my part I have mixed feelings about it. Its a day when the kids are kind of obligated to treat me as special, but it feels artificial and therefore a bit strange. It is so easy to be disappointed. At the same time I like to spend time with my mum and treasure her a little - who knows how much longer I will have her around?

Anyway, the day is chaos for us - DD has soccer in the morning, DS has a birthday party to go to in the middle of the day (!) and I have soccer in the early afternoon. So I booked dinner at a local restaurant for the family including my mum and that will be it. I gave DH and the kids a little list of things to get me. Basically I organised Mother's Day and that way everyone knows what to expect :lol:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andi

• Bornagirl

• Zogee

• Anne Bonny

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally hate all celebrations. Mother's day is strange for me because my mum is on the other side of Australia and I haven't been able to visit her even though she had a hip replacement last year, we have holidayed over Australia and overseas together so covid and her health put a halt to that.

personally I don't care if my kids don't mention it at all and I don't expect anything but I feel guilty I don't even send a card to my mum even though I tell myself week leading up to it to send her one. I haven't and now it's too late - again. So once again I have failed as a daughter.....

Seayork2002

DS has given me written permission to adore him for mother's day and my birthday so will be great day (well when he is asleep...)

I haven't spoken to mum in years but I look forward to it with Dh and DD every year!

I don't need gifts but I do love the stuff DD brings home from school each year, and the Koko black chocolates I sometimes get :)

The weekend is our 45th anniversary on Saturday, my DH's birthday and Mother's Day on Sunday. My DH is going to be 600 kms away for the entire time visiting his mum.

I guess I will see a child or two but I think I will visit my dad as he will be missing my mum on Mother's Day.

edited for punctuation.

Edited by STBG +2

Fruitmincepies

I’m hoping for an hour of peace to read my book and drink tea. I also bought myself a new handbag and used Mother’s Day as an excuse (my old one was looking a bit ratty).

jesse_083

I dictate how mother's Day goes every second year. Even years I share with my mother in law. Odd years I refuse to visit anyone and will not host visitors. I decide what we do so no disappointments on the day. Looking forward to a short bush walk, markets and a bakery for lunch. Relax at home in the arvo while dh wrangles the kids.

Odd-1-Out

I dont really celebrate, sometimes we go out for lunch or dinner but I don't expect anything and have never gotten any gifts.

I hate this day. My asd child has no clue and mums dead.

Please excuse me whilst I drink far to much cheap wine to block out the day.

I dunno. I try to organise something for mum, though she's not fussed, it's mostly been stuff from the kids since we started having them, she enjoys being a grandma more than i think she ever enjoyed being a mum. For me, lately it ends up feeling a lot like my birthday, i'd kind of like dh to put some thought into something, anything, since the kids are too little to do it themselves. But it generally doesn't happen because he wants a specific 'do this' and I feel like that is exactly the opposite of what i want. I want him(and/or the kids) to think of something. Even if i hated the thing it wouldn't even matter because they tried. Dunno if that makes sense. Oh well. We'll be doing breakfast and dinner with mil and sil's anyway this year so I'm just going to go along for that ride

I’m not particularly impressed by how it’s going so far this year.

I’ve organised gifts for my mum and his mum (pots chosen at local nursery with help from Miss2, and potted with bulbs we chose together and she “helped” plant), and if the stars align potentially some updated photos of the kids in nice frames... and we’re doing breakfast at my mum’s and lunch at his...

And nothing for me. Apparently the Very Strong Hint I gave six weeks ago, which he even put in his phone notes was forgotten so not ordered online and now too late...

So I’ve organised stuff for others and will spend the day getting the kids to behave. Yay??

Iamferalz

I already got myself a multi cooker with the help of Every Bump.

My DS claims he’s going to cook me pancakes tomorrow morning to get it started early but he barely makes it to the school bus!

I dislike it. To me it's like Christmas and birthdays that feel lumped on by societal expectations. Personally I'd rather be by myself but my older daughter is into all celebrations whether i liks it or not so assuming i have to suck it up for the day.

What I'd really like is just to do nothing tbh.

We usually have a busy but lovely day. My DH is excellent at gifts though terrible at secrets so I know what I’m getting (leather gloves and a tea cup from my favourite brand), and DS will get me something from the Mother’s Day stall so that’s exciting. I’m going out to lunch, alone, with my mum and have asked that the rest of the day just be quiet so I can rest, relax and knit. We’ll see how that goes! My MIL likes to get together on the Saturday so my SIL and I can have the Sunday to ourselves which is lovely of her.

withintent

Looking forward to a short bush walk, markets and a bakery for lunch. Relax at home in the arvo while dh wrangles the kids.

This sounds pretty perfect to me. So why oh why did I just agree to schlep all the kids an hour away, by PT, to have lunch with MIL and SIL ??

What I like about the day is the lead up and excitement of my kids busily and very-publicly-totally-secretly working on surprises and making presents/cards for me 🙂

lazycritter

I'm the mum or of my sister and me. I suggested the chocolate factory. That was a go until suddenly my sister once again booked some where close to her place. This time without even asking if it worked. It's super expensive small food and doesn't even have a kids menu. The only thing that two of them might eat is the tapas 19 dollar serve of 5 crispy chicken goujons which might be the size of my little finger for all I know. Thanks. Not. I'd rather stay home and get take away. At least I'd be full.

Ghost Girl

First year without my mum, so I'm not sure how I will.go. we had always celebrated mothers day in some way with her. She was a good mum+Grandma.

I've ordered my own stuff and morning tea for pick-up. That way I get what I want, its just easier than dropping hints. DH is good with presents usually, just this year was to exhausted to do the hints.

Its such a loaded day.

ClaudiaCosette

I'm not sure how it will work this year. Normally we see my mum on either the Saturday or Sunday, and DH's mum on the other day. But DD has an all-day event on Saturday which rules that out, so we might have to squeeze the two mums in on Sunday (opposite sides of the city).

I like Mother's Day as a mum because my kids are still young enough to make things for me at school or playgroup etc, and I treasure all those creations. DH usually gets me some flowers or chocolate too which I never say no to.

Probably not doing anything this year here. DD has Under 7s football in the morning, then from there to church, then from there to work for me. By the time I get home, it will just be time for a quick simple dinner, and then crash into bed.

nom_de_plume

DP will be working. He consistently drops the ball with these kind of things unless I harass him, so I've long since given up and make my own plans for the day.

Ex-DP is actually not working this year, and has organised to take his partner, myself and all our collective kids out to lunch at a winery which will be nice. He's driving and i'll be sure to order the most expensive meal and bottle of wine on the menu :lol:

I'm spending a good chunk of Saturday with my Mum and brother.

Hopefully it will be better then two years ago when, just as I was settling down to a nice lunch with my mum, I got a call from DDs friends mum that she’d had a fall at the ice skating party she was at and had a suspected broken arm.

Yes indeed, I DID spend the remainder of the afternoon at A&E getting a plaster cast on DD....

DP will be working. He consistently drops the ball with these kind of things unless I harass him, so I've long since given up and make my own plans for the day.

Ex-DP is actually not working this year, and has organised to take his partner, myself and all our collective kids out to lunch at a winery which will be nice. He's driving and i'll be sure to order the most expensive meal and bottle of wine on the menu :lol:

I'm spending a good chunk of Saturday with my Mum and brother.

For 30 years ( except when home on maternity leave ) I worked every single Sunday when I crawled out of bed at 5 am trying not to to disturb anyone and disappeared for the next 10-12 hours leaving Mother's Day to my DH and kids. :) I always had to visit my mum on the days prior or afterwards.

There was generally a tea waiting when I got home from work and a few presents bought at the MD stall at school waiting for me but to be honest working on MD to me was an absolute joy mostly. All our new mums got a gift from the hospital so it was quite a happy environment.

Advertisement