As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

How much caffeine do you think is in this cup of coffee?

purpleduck

purpleduck

I'm trying to be more aware of my caffeine intake - am usually only drinking 1-2 cups of instant a day. I had a homemade espresso the other day and definitely felt more jittery afterwards. Previously, I've been a bit sensitive to caffeine - eg need to eat/have eaten when I have a coffee, and I'm also aware that the caffeine levels can vary a lot between drinks.

So here is my question - currently drink the Jarrah coffee mix ( https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/254495/jarrah-french-vanilla-latte-french-style ):

- 250g jar

- serving size is 12.5g

- actual coffee as ingredient is 11%

Therefore if the serving size is accurate at 12.5g, then the coffee in that serving would be 1.375g.

According to FSANZ, 1tsp of instant coffee contains approx 60-80mg of caffeine. But I'm having trouble finding out the weight of 1tsp of instant coffee (which may vary anyway depending on density etc).

So what would be the caffeine content of the 12.5g serving size of the one I drink? I suspect its a lot less than what I think but just can't figure out the maths at the moment.

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• purpleduck

• Jenflea

• nom_de_plume

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you go into a store and look on the label? Some coffee drinks have the caffeine content somewhere on the label.

purpleduck

[mention]Jenflea[/mention] I have a jar at home, no caffeine content on it anywhere other than the 11% coffee ingredient.

nom_de_plume

I would e-mail the company as they can probably tell you. Given ingredients are usually listed in order of quantity, the main ingredient in this is sugar and instant coffee is the fourth ingredient on the list at only 11% it's safe to say not much!

ETA - In Australia 1tsp = 5g. If you're concerned about caffeine and happy to drink instant coffee, why not just get decaf? That way you can still have your coffee without the added sugar and chemicals that are in this product (I wouldn't even class it as coffee TBH ... it's mostly sugar).

purpleduck

Ok, have found a photo on Google of a Nescafe label which states 1tsp is 1.5g of coffee..... so........ <> its only about 90% of a teaspoon then assuming the coffee mix is mixed in - so not far off the usual instant coffee caffeine content then.

Now to go and weigh 12.5g and see if that is how much I usually put in :ninja:

ETA - yeah, about 2 heaped or 3 less heaped spoonfuls is about 12g. There you go!

purpleduck

ETA - In Australia 1tsp = 5g. If you're concerned about caffeine and happy to drink instant coffee, why not just get decaf? That way you can still have your coffee without the added sugar and chemicals that are in this product (I wouldn't even class it as coffee TBH ... it's mostly sugar).

Unfortunately I completely agree with you but the taste of instant decaf just doesn't hit the same spot :(

Advertisement