IGNORED

(TTC) and covid vaccine

Ozgirl

Hi all,

Wonder what peoples thought are on getting the covid vaccine, if you are pregnant or TTC.

(Please no pressure from those who do not fall in this category)

Im not opposed to getting the vaccine but im a bit glad im a bit far down the list.

But I heard that the govt vax campaign will include targeting women who are pregnant - which is concerning as how do we know its safe for pregnant women?

Look up Jessica Malaty Rivera on IG- she’s a mum and an epidemiologist and has good info on this. She’s the lead of the Covid tracking project in the US.

I will be talking to GP - (I am hoping I will still be pregnant when the vaccine comes out)

I am super pro vaccine, get whooping cough and flu shot etc, but I think it’s only natural to feel nervous when you’re the first generation to get it.

One thing is I know that pregnancy is like a co-morbidity when it comes to COVID? So might not be able to fight it off as well as usual.... so weighing up the potential (?) risk of the vaccine vs the risk of actually getting COViD....

It’s nerve wracking, but I’ll go by what the GP and medical advice is, especially if it’s in our community more - atm the numbers are so small I wouldn’t be racing to the front of the queue.

I guess when we get it it’ll have already been administered to pregnant people elsewhere in the world so we will have more data - and I believe a few women got pregnant during the trials and had no adverse effects.

If I was at the TTC stage I would get it no hesitation.

I'm about as pro-vaccine as it gets, and if my daughter was TTC I'd be advising her to wait.

Proviso of course is that she wasn't working with/visiting vulnerable people if it was circulating.

We don't need 100% for herd immunity but I can't quite remember the percentage mentioned.

It's why it's beholden on the rest of us, who have no good reason to refuse, to have it - to protect those not yet proven safe to have it.

The advice might be different in places where it's rampant, because of cost vs benefit.

• Like 1

Look up Jessica Malaty Rivera on IG- she’s a mum and an epidemiologist and has good info on this. She’s the lead of the Covid tracking project in the US.

Can you link a specific posts? A quick glance and I havent found info on pregnancy.

I did find a post that the Canadian's are currently recommending against it.

Well considering there is no trials on pregnant women overseas happening at the moment ( only monitoring of anyone who becomes pregnant after vaccination), I suspect pregnant women will be very low on the list, along with children. It's not been approved yet, so I would expect they wouldn't start until tiwards the end of the year if approved. ScoMo is quite insistant that Australia won't cut corners with the vaccine, mainly because we are not in such an urgent situation like other countries.

BTW I find 7 news a bit hysterical in their reporting.

Well considering there is no trials on pregnant women overseas happening at the moment ( only monitoring of anyone who becomes pregnant after vaccination), I suspect pregnant women will be very low on the list, along with children. It's not been approved yet, so I would expect they wouldn't start until tiwards the end of the year if approved. ScoMo is quite insistant that Australia won't cut corners with the vaccine, mainly because we are not in such an urgent situation like other countries.

im not sure what's hysterical about stating that the government is targeting pregnant women in their ad campaign also The Project reported the same info, but i could only find the video link for 7.

All manufacturers will need to conduct a pregnancy registry (so, an observational study), but it’ll be a while before results are available. I believe there’s also a planned (or already started?) WHO monitoring of COVID vaccination in pregnancy.

Well pregnancy's not a chronic condition - you could always just wait til after you have the baby?

Gee thanks, way too over simplify.

It is likely thats is what I would do. But as a loss parent being pregnant and unvaccinated during the times of covid is a real concern.

No plans on having any more, but I don’t think I’d like to take the risk if the situation in Australia stays the same as it has been for the majority of the time since COVID emerged.

I do typically take my GP’s or Ob’s advice, but I would really have to show me some evidence that I really needed it to take the risk with my unborn baby. It’s just too new for something like that for me.

I don’t normally question vaccinations, but most of them have been proven safe long term too.

I’m not concerned about me as an adult taking the vaccine, even though it is new.

• 2 weeks later...

I would think that there just isn’t data. If C19 was running rampant through the community it might be different, but given the lack of community spread I would have no hesitation waiting.

• 4 months later...

I had my first Pfizer vaccine 2 weeks ago. I am 4 weeks pregnant. My next dose is due in 1 week. 
I also live in Melbourne. Thoughts?

• Like 1

I would have the second dose. The way the vaccine works is very safe. Obviously discuss with your health care provider, and decide based on your own risk profile. 

• Like 1

I think I would finish the course. 

But speak to your care giver. 

I think the biggest affect would be the first dose (the effacitty is like 60%)   

All the Dr I have spoken to have said dont get it. But have never asked if halfway through the shot.

I also believe that the US are saying get vaccinated. 

thanks for your thoughts. 

I had a miscarriage in Feb at 10 weeks (although no heartbeat at 7 weeks) so am a bit hesitant to get it during the first trimester. Especially as my friends who’ve had the second dose said it causes fevers. 
I’ll speak to my GP but might wait til 12 weeks. 
Its  such early days with this pregnancy, anything could happen. 

Advertisement