• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zeldazonk

• MagdaRegis

• Beanette

• nomviv

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m so sorry that you are going through this. I went through this in March. At the 8 week scan baby measured 6w1d with no heartbeat. They waited a week to rescan which was such an agonising wait to only be told the same thing again. I had a d&c scheduled for 5 days after that but had the option of taking medicine to induce the miscarriage.

How are you going?

I'm so sorry for your loss xx

What happens next is one of two things - either you will miscarry spontaneously, or you will need a D&C because your body isn't having a miscarriage spontaneously.

I have had two D&Cs and they weren't as bad as I was expecting. I was under sedation and didn't feel anything, it was over very quickly.

Take care of yourself xxx

ClaudiaCosette

I am so sorry, how devastating.

Almost exactly the same thing happened to me on 3 occasions. Twice, I went on to miscarry naturally (bleeding started within a day or two of the scan). The 3rd time, I went for another scan a week later (still nothing) and the doctors offered me 3 choices - either wait for it to happen naturally, take the medication, or have a D&C. I opted for the D&C. It was traumatic emotionally, but physically much easier (of course it comes with the risk of anaesthetic etc). So for you it may depend on what happens in the coming days.

Sending many hugs to you. It's not an easy time for you and I hope you are able to look after yourself.

So sorry to hear that.

I had a natural miscarriage at around the same time, 5 weeks. It was a lot like a very heavy and painful period, this didn’t stop it being devastating

Take care of yourself and it’s ok to grieve

HuggleMonster

This has happened to me twice. The first time I miscarried naturally (an OB who I will never go back to didn't even offer me any other options) and the second time I had a D&C (with a wonderful different OB).

I didn't miscarry naturally until around 12 weeks even though the scan showed growth stopped around 6 weeks. I will offer my experience just so you can be prepared. For me, it was a mini-birth rather than a heavy period. I had some light bleeding around 10pm and then around 6 hours of contractions before the sac passed and it was over. I knew what was happening so I didn't need to go to hospital, but I was curled in pain on the bathroom floor for most of the night. The pain was the same as when I actually gave birth.

The D&C was the better option for me. Sedation, over quickly and I was back to normal (physcially not emotionally) the next day.

I’m very very sorry.

My understanding is the medication doesn’t work well for everyone, but they do seem to try it first most of the time.

Be kind to yourself.

I didn't miscarry naturally until around 12 weeks even though the scan showed growth stopped around 6 weeks. I will offer my experience just so you can be prepared. For me, it was a mini-birth rather than a heavy period. I had some light bleeding around 10pm and then around 6 hours of contractions before the sac passed and it was over. I knew what was happening so I didn't need to go to hospital, but I was curled in pain on the bathroom floor for most of the night. The pain was the same as when I actually gave birth.

The D&C was the better option for me. Sedation, over quickly and I was back to normal (physcially not emotionally) the next day.

I had a similar experience with a MMC. It was extremely traumatic and my DH ended up calling me an ambulance because I was fainting from the pain. And I needed a D&C in the end anyway because I didn't pass all the tissue.

D&C was the better choice for me too, it took care of the physical side so I could begin to heal emotionally.

Hope you're doing okay today OP, take care xxx

I'm so sorry for you loss, OP. This happened to me. I had a d&c and apart from some cramping, recovered quickly physically. I was emotionally gutted, but in hindsight, being able to draw a line quickly and focus on getting pregnant again did help me. Take care.

I am so very sorry. I have had many miscarriages and know how awful they are. I also know that the waiting and uncertainty is absolute hell. I hope you get answers soon.

Of my miscarriages, I had two missed miscarriages (where you only know you have miscarried from your scans but don't have any bleeding or other signs). With my first I was so distressed I opted for a D&C as soon as it was confirmed. For my second one, I decided to wait to see if my body would miscarry naturally. It didn't and I waited a couple of weeks until it got too much and I decided to have another D&C. The D&C was done in theatre. I woke up with some cramping and discomfort but nothing that wasn't eased with some pain killers and a heat pack for a day or so. I took a few days off work to recover and deal with the emotional pain. I bled for a couple of weeks. Then it took a couple more weeks for the HCG to drop and for me to have a period. I was told to wait a full cycle to try again.

• 1 month later...

Leave your leave. See what they say on Monday. If the bleeding has stopped, maybe there will be no need for a D&C but I also think a day of doing what you want will be a good thing for you. Therapy even. 

keep being kind to yourself. It is such a crappy situation. 

I’d keep the leave just in case. You are not going to look like an idiot, this is a medical situation still in progress and things change. 

I’m sorry you’re going through this!

Over and out

For a d&c it is general, well mine was. So if it was for a d&c they would be giving you details for fasting etc i would think.

someone who had had one more recently may be able to comment 

I have had 3 D&Cs and had to fast for each of them. I was told a couple of days before when I would need to start fasting. I was given an admission time and a surgery time. I was also advised that I had to have someone collect me from the appointment, as I couldn't drive myself home after a GA. It was not just an ordinary appointment. 

I would leave your leave and your appointment. Retained product is serious. It is worth getting it checked and no one will think you are an idiot. If the bleeding completely subsides and you don't need the D&C, then I would definitely take some time for yourself. It sounds like an extremely traumatic experience and some leave would probably do you some good. 

Sending lots of luck that it is resolved soon. It took me ages to recover from two of my miscarriages and I know how terrible it when it is so drawn-out

I can’t see your original post but gather you may need a procedure for retained product? I had a hysteroscopy - a camera guided procedure to remove retained product a few weeks ago. I took two days off work for it... and if anything the recovery was needed more for that procedure than for the d&c. Because it involves actually removing something directly off the uterine wall I was quite sore. 

I don’t think I’ve ever looked back and regretted taking leave for anything but I have definitely looked back and regretted NOT taking leave.

Advertisement