IGNORED

Feeling very overwhelmed

Disydo

Good blood flow is good news. I had an iugr baby and they delivered as soon as blood flow dopplers indicated that things weren’t going well.

Thank you for sharing. Do you mind me asking how often they were monitoring the blood flow? I think I'll be going in weekly.

With DD it was fortnightly; I had a poor result on the Friday afternoon and she was delivered first thing Tuesday morning.

DS wasn’t iugr but was monitored due to history and his scans were every four weeks. I imagine if there had been signs of iugr then they would have been more frequent.

Thanks for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Disydo

• riotproof

• ClaudiaCosette

• blackcat20

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Just an update on how things are going. We had a growth scan and a heart scan this week and things are going really well. Baby is growing along her tiny percentile and is happy. And, in even better news, the heart is looking good. The hole is still there but it's not affecting the aorta so it won't need to be operated on at birth. It will probably need surgery within the first six months but at least that won't be straight away. This means I can stay at my chosen hospital - so now I can actually picture where I'll be giving birth, which has really helped me feel less anxious.

I'm also feeling better about the post-birth period as I was worried about having to constantly monitor the baby for symptoms but I've been told that symptoms come on slowly and that I'll be closely monitored.

Thanks so much for all the support. I'm starting to actually feel excited now! I'm 33 weeks, hoping to get to 37. Not long to go!

lazycritter

That is good news about baby's heart. I'm glad to hear it.

Try and make sure you take time for yourself before baby is born. Treat yourself in these next few weeks as much as you can. X

ClaudiaCosette

I'm so pleased to see your update. I'm glad your baby is doing well and fingers crossed for her arrival in the coming weeks!

Thanks for the wonderful update! 33 weeks is fantastic (I know I breathed a sigh of relief when I got to 32 weeks with my twins). Looking forward to your update at 37 weeks when you are over being pregnant and ready to meet you gorgeous bub 😀

Everything is up and down with this pregnancy! After our good news on Friday, I went in for a blood flow and fluid check and they said that the blood flow is starting to be intermittedly constricted so I'm now on twice weekly monitoring - there was talk of giving me steroids and delivering next week (at 34 weeks) but that's been put on hold for the moment. I have another scan on Thursday and then Tuesday. So it looks like baby might be coming very soon...

ClaudiaCosette

Oh [mention]Disydo[/mention] I hope the next scans show better news. And if it turns out that your baby is born sooner rather than later, I hope that she does really well. I know you said her issues could be worse with prematurity, so fingers crossed she stays put a little while longer.

Everything is up and down with this pregnancy! After our good news on Friday, I went in for a blood flow and fluid check and they said that the blood flow is starting to be intermittedly constricted so I'm now on twice weekly monitoring - there was talk of giving me steroids and delivering next week (at 34 weeks) but that's been put on hold for the moment. I have another scan on Thursday and then Tuesday. So it looks like baby might be coming very soon...

I have only just seen this thread Disydo and thought I'd tell you that your journey sounds so similar to my last grandchild.

I realise yours is a different pregnancy but I just hope you will have the same outcome.

From her 20 weeks scan it was decided she had a heart defect and that she was small for her gestation, there was reduced amniotic fluid and they suggested her limbs were short and could possibly have achondroplasia.

Genetic testing revealed nothing of note genetically but she had weekly scans that mostly revealed the fact fluid was low, blood flow borderline and she was tiny.

She was born at 37 weeks by repeat C/S and weighed 2.2 kg which was larger than her predicted weight. Her heart defect noted but there were no obvious issues with this.

She spent a couple of days in SCN but her glucose and oxygen levels remained stable and she breast fed like a trooper.

Four years on, she still has a VSD but at this point there is nothing required in the way of treatment, she is a firecracker and very well, she is still on the 10th percentile for size but we all remember just how stressful the pregnancy was for her parents.

Thinking of you and fingers crossed.

[mention]Disydo[/mention] try to be alert but not alarmed. Trite I know. It sounds like they are doing everything they can, and so are you.

I remember researching outcomes for prem birth, 34 weeks is so very viable. Especially with the monitoring you’re having.

Best of luck!

Sorry to hear this news but fantastic that you are being monitored so well. Fingers crossed for the scan today 🤗

Thanks so much for the comments all. My scan today showed that the blood flow is deteriorating so I've been given steroids, I'll have another scan on Saturday, and then Tuesday, and most likely have a c-section on Tuesday. Bit scary!

Thanks so much for the comments all. My scan today showed that the blood flow is deteriorating so I've been given steroids, I'll have another scan on Saturday, and then Tuesday, and most likely have a c-section on Tuesday. Bit scary!

It’s going to be ok. If blood flow isn’t good then out is better than in.

That’s good. Gives the steroids time to work, and if they have to do it Saturday after the scan, it will still be fine.

Try not to worry. Do you know sex? Have you picked a name?

Good luck.

My DD was born at 27 weeks.

I had heaps of the Doppler study blood flow scans. DD’s blood flow did deteriorate from absent to reverse. 😮. At that stage they delivered her. Mine was due to placental deterioration from preeclampsia though.

DD is now nearly 16 and just fine. 😀

Best wishes for a bit longer pregnancy and a lovely newborn experience.

Thanks so much for the support, everyone, I really appreciate it.

[mention]riotproof[/mention] it's a baby girl, a little sister for our 17 month old son. We have a name picked out too. It'll be nice to finally meet her after so much uncertainty.

Thanks so much everyone. I had another blood flow and fluid scan today after two days of steroid injections and the blood flow has stabilised because of the steroids. They are still expecting to deliver Tuesday. We have a growth scan and another blood flow and fluid check on Tuesday so that will inform the decision but I think it’s almost definite. Going in for more monitoring tomorrow. I’m keen to get it all over with.

A quick update - no baby today, baby has grown, not as much as they'd like, but she has grown so they are keen to try and keep her in for 1-2 weeks, ideally 2 weeks as that would be 36 weeks. I'll be having twice weekly monitoring and scans to keep an eye on blood flow, fluid and heart rate. Feeling okay but just completely exhausted. It's really mentally draining not knowing what's happening scan-to-scan.

Thanks again for all the support, I really appreciate it.

Thanks! We also have an appt with the neonatologist on Thursday to talk us through what baby might need when she's born and we'll also have a tour of the special care nursery. I think that will help.

ClaudiaCosette

That's great news that she's grown! I understand that feeling of not knowing what to expect and the news being up and down all the time. Hang in there and I hope you can get some rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Very quick update - baby has grown again! So c-section has been pushed back to 37 weeks (in about a week). We might even get to take her home with us! Feeling really positive now, we even packed her little hospital bag and set up the bassinet.

Advertisement