IGNORED

Due in September & October 2021

summer08

[mention]seemingly[/mention] how many weeks are you now? After your initial scan & bloods did you visit your gp/obstetrician to discuss the results? At that appointment my GP gave me a referral for the 12-13 week nuchal translucency scan. Theres a blood test that you need to get done in conjunction with this scan, from about 10 weeks. The results from the bloods and scan are then collated and used to determine the risk of chromosomal abnormalities. If you haven't been referred for these yet, get onto it asap as the timing matters . You can also choose to do the NIPT test, which costs around $400-500 but that is optional.

I don't have any great advice re nausea, I feel crappy most days but still eat just because I want food, even though my appetite is not there at all. I've been having horrible ongoing headaches these past few weeks, so I'm hoping they go away soon.

Hope everyone is going well. I'm 14 weeks now and don't have any more appointments until 20 weeks at the hospital, so I'm just hoping all is going ok in there.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zel lala

• ellie

• Melody

• summer08

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi [mention]Biscuits[/mention], thank you for the response. The GP I saw said not to tell anyone until 12-13 weeks (friends, family, work etc) as that would be the appropriate time, so I've just been flying solo/whatever I read online. I am 10.5 weeks so was planning on telling friends/family/work at the start of the next school term.

The GP did write a referral for a blood test and scan at my first appointment. I got the scan at 6 weeks and just haven't had time for the blood test this past month. I will organise myself for the blood collection ASAP, just not possible this Easter weekend... I am probably acting too ignorant about the risks of abnormalities, perhaps a subconscious avoidance tactic? We don't have any family history of anything heredity, are both fairly healthy, don't drink or smoke, but know that chance plays a significant part... Do you happen to know how long it takes to get blood test results back?

I rarely get headaches so don't have any advice for that sorry... Could it be caffeine withdrawal? I found that I no longer can drink coffee and substituted with tea. It's a little surreal to go from two-three coffees a day for the last 8 years, to zero.

[mention]seemingly[/mention] it's hard to know which blood test you have been referred for, but it sounds like the initial test that you normally have around 6 weeks to confirm the pregnancy and check for other things (iron levels etc I'm not sure of the full range). Your gp would then tell you if you are low in anything and require any supplements etc which is important.

The bloods and scan at 12-13 weeks are very common and I would highly recommend it, regardless of perceived risk of abnormalities. It's important to see that baby is developing correctly. Even just to check that baby still has a heartbeat is important. There is a big difference in growth between 6 weeks and 12 weeks.

The bloods for the 12 week scan need to be done prior to the scan so that the results can be sent to the radiology clinic for the data to be collated.

I would get into your GP this week and ask for a referral for the 12 week blood test and scan. To my knowledge this scan must be done prior to 14 weeks. Make sure you get the blood test done first (but get the correct referral, it sounds like the referral you have is for the 6 week bloods)

Are you going private or public? I go fully public, so now that I have had my 12 week scan done, my gp has sent all my data to the antenatal clinic at my local hospital. At 20 weeks I will start seeing the antenatal clinic for regular appointments. Talk this through with your GP if you haven't done so already, as it's important that you are regularly seen to check on baby and your own health also.

Hope this is not too much info!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after a well-meaning but super taxing visit from family and the disaster I made of booking things, I've finally got a GP appointment for this Wednesday so I can get a referral for a scan on Friday. Thank you, Biscuits, for your continued advice :)

I almost wish I had waited for this next scan to tell close family; parents and siblings know now. They were very excited and a bit in disbelief. I hope everything is all good with the baby. I've been very anxious waiting for this scan. I don't think I have any reason to be anxious, but how could I really know? This extra week of waiting will drain me.

How is everyone doing?

Advertisement