IGNORED

How did you tell your partner you were pregnant?

seemingly

Hi all! As per thread title, how did you tell your partner that you were pregnant? I've seen some elaborate announcement ideas online, but to be honest, have no idea of how I'd do it myself. Would you be willing to share your story/stories?

First 2 I just told him when I wa s doing the he test.

The third he got in the car when I picked him up from work and I handed him a pregnancy test and he was like ewww then was like ohhhhh :lol:

Both IVF pregnancies so that kind of takes the fun out of any kind of announcement.

First time we had had a fight the night before I tested so I just angrily told him it was positive. When I got the NIPT result back with the sex of the baby I did a cute balloon and ‘daddy’s girl’ baby gro thing to surprise him as I got the results a lot quicker than expected.

Current pregnancy I just did the test, he knew I had planned to test on a particular day as I had told him, and when it was positive I just went and showed him. Nothing exciting. Didn’t get to do the cutesy NIPT thing either as I got dodgy results back so instead we were more concerned there was something wrong with the baby (amnio came back clear thankfully).

Before infertility while we were just trying I used to fantasise about how I would tell DH, but yeah IVF certainly takes any joy out of the 2ww etc. There are some cool ideas online though!

DH was away so I waited like a week till I joined him, expecting us to have some alone time, but my FIL picked me up then when DH arrived I kinda acted weirdly and he guessed whilst hoping his family in the next room wasn't listening in.

squeekums-the-elf

So ahh im not dying..... im pregnant

Backstory

A friend poked my stomach one day, was then worried about my past heavy drinking and liver/kidney failure which her dad had passed from a month or so earlier and insisted i see a gp, she came with

We left that appointment finding out i was *roughly six months* pregnant. Well that was the GP guess

I go home, walk in and literally said, well im not dying im pregnant and she thinks about 6 months

Rushed dating scan 2 days later put me at 7 months based on the size of DD

Oh goodness [mention]squeekums-the-elf[/mention] - that would have been a shock! Did the baby arrive around the due date? Did you have no other symptoms or had you attributed them to other things?

Earlier that night, after eating cheezels, lol, I'd told DH that I just had a feeling and wanted to test, so I drove to the shops at the last minute. Took a test as soon as I came home and almost fell off the toilet seat, I was so shocked. Raced into the garage waving the stick. At the time, DH was finishing off a uni project that was due the next day. He said "That's great, babe", before getting back to it! Then I rang my parents at 11.30 pm. Exciting times.

I have heard of cake reveals when you cut a cake open and it's pink or blue, or when you release a pink or blue smoke somehow, but I couldn't be bothered, personally. You could also put the stick in a card if you wanted and hand it to your DP.

Nothing special. First one was IVF so we were expecting the phone call anyway, I called him after cause I was at work and he was at work.

Second one I just tested at home and told him when he got home by basically waving a test in his face.

squeekums-the-elf

Oh goodness @squeekums-the-elf - that would have been a shock! Did the baby arrive around the due date? Did you have no other symptoms or had you attributed them to other things?

Oh to say the least, i was never going to have kids at all lol

Yep, arrived right on the date given

All was fine too

Nothing i did in that time alerted me and i did everything and more on the do not EVER do while pregnant, like show rides, drinking binges, music festivals.

I got sick once, it was food poisoning, 5 other people got it in the course i was in at time too after we ate lunch at wrong place

I didnt even show till close on 30 weeks, from what ive been told/read over years, i carried to the back with thick placenta which is why i also felt nothing

Got what seemed like a regular period throughout

I was out of hospital in 24 hours, went in about 11, had dd by 2, right back in my regular jeans, i literally only went to a size 10 in weeks before i had dd

im that medical freak you hear about lol

Older two - previous partner was waiting outside the bathroom door while I POAS so we both found out together.

Youngest - I bought a test on the way home from work and did it as soon a so got home. It was positive. I called and told DP straight away and he came over. I was almost 4 months.

First one I walked into the bedroom and said "two lines". He had no idea I was taking the test as we thought I'd had my period about three weeks earlier, but I started feeling queasy the day before.

This time I just handed him the test and he said "told you". Again I thought I had got my period but the queasiness suggested otherwise.

One source of sadness for me, with doing IVF, was that we would never have that magic moment... that 'darling, we're going to have a baby' thing where I break the wonderful news to him.

When our DD was 20 months I started feeling odd, so did a PG test I had kicking around in a draw (I can't be the only one that's ended up with a draw full of unused tests/syringes/ alcohol wipes etc??) I'd just got a positive PG test and I think 'THIS IS IT, I can have my moment'.

So I'm waiting in the kitchen when he comes home, with the test in front of me on the counter. I've got that look on my face, the trying to look cool but too excited to suppress it look. He kisses me on the cheek, looks down and say's 'what's this'? and I say 'what do you think it is darling?' He looks confused then says. 'But we haven't had sex?!' At this point my smile drops and I may have even done an eye roll and I say 'yes we have!' And he say's 'yeah...but not much'. And I say 'yeah but SOME'

And that my friends, was my romantic reveal to my DH.

• Haha 1

Advertisement