IGNORED

Daycare at 6mths. Tell me it’ll be ok??!

AltogetherElsewhere

AltogetherElsewhere

So it looks like (finances! Gah) I’ll need to go back to work part time when bub is 6months. Our current 3yo’s daycare has a spot. 3 days per week from Feb, so that’s good. But I’m dreading the thought. (Especially given I want to keep breastfeeding.)

Positive thoughts about daycare from that age please!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AltogetherElsewhere

• Babetty

• Grumbles

• Crazyone4532

Top Posters In This Topic

I kept breastfeeding at night and was able to maintain until I sacked her at 2.5 after putting the little one (who is closing in on being taller than me now) into daycare.

Fruitmincepies

DS went to daycare from 6mo (for my health reasons) and he breastfed until he was 2yo and I had to stop (to take medication). He was a total boob addict! With actual daycare it’s been up and down, but always ok. He’s just about 3yo now and daycare from early certainly hasn’t done him harm.

It’ll be great! My DS was around 7 months. It took him 2-3 weeks to settle in and figure out what was going on. He cried once at drop off and now at almost 18 months he tantrums when I get there because he doesn’t want to leave. He has such a fabulous bond with his carers because he’s been there since he was little and they know him so well. We never had an issue with separation anxiety as he already knew the carers well by the time he got to that age.

ETA still breastfeeding. I sent bottles of EBM until 13 months. I always fed straight away in the morning and as soon as we got home. He did wake once overnight till 13 months so that helped supply.

Having two in the same place will really help the younger when they start to transition to the toddler rooms too, they will have already seen the big kids areas at pick up or drop off and you will know a lot of the carers.

A lot of babies start before 12 months, its just that waiting lists are so long many people do extend their leave, especially with first children when they don’t get priority. 3 days a week still means 4 at home.

AltogetherElsewhere

Thank you!! Good to hear... yes my older DD was at home with me till 18 months due to sooooo much trouble finding a place, so it’s a totally different set of circumstances now. Good point about getting to know the carers before separation anxiety kicks in - that’s a huge one now I think about it.

Hah, and if this Bub is anything like DD, he’ll want copious breastfeeds at night for a long time. Which is fine with me if it means keeping my supply up.

Both my kids started at 6 months and they settled in really quickly - separation anxiety hadn't kicked in. I only planned to BF until they were 6 months old, but kept BF until about 10 months (so while that's not long for some people,bit is longer than I planned and childcare definitely didn't stop it).

Whether you want to express or not is completely up to you. I didn't bother and kids did fine with formula at daycare and during the day at home, and boob morning and night. Took a couple of days for milk production to adjust but it did.

The one thing I did do was start them on solids at 4 months, as I didn't want them to be dealing with 2 big changes at the same time.

That's great that you've got a spot!

With DD2, her spot at daycare opened up when she was five months - a bit early, as I was going back to work when she was six months. So I used a couple of those days to take her in for a couple of hours at a time, so she'd at least have seen the place and met the carers by the time she was doing a full day. Is something like that possible?

I also kept bringing in EBM (I was lucky enough to be able to express with DD2, unlike DD1) until she was 12, 13 months or so.

Both my boys started at 6 months, mty daughter was about 15mo, harder to let go of the first. Anyway, the boys settled in much better than she did. 1st boy was on formula anyway due to failure to thrive from tongue tie (cut too late). 2nd I was expressing when I worked casually, it was fine, he wasn't a big milk baby and enjoyed solids so he had enough of everything, weaned himself at 12mo.

Don’t forget baby will have big sister on the premises which is pretty reassuring if they need a familiar face.

At a good centre your baby will be fine. And improving your families financial position is a very positive thing you can do for your child’s education, health and wealth outcomes.

My friend has 4 incredible children. All hard working, caring, smart individuals with close family bonds. One was three when she started childcare, two were 6ish months and one was six weeks when starting childcare.

Advertisement