IGNORED

Bassinet

Lady Grey

I’m feeling so overwhelmed at the moment, due to have my second baby (DD is 5 so I can’t remember anything) in a few weeks. We move house next week which means a new Kindy for DD, are building our home and my business is so busy!

I haven’t bought anything for this kid and cannot figure out what bassinet to get. I was so clueless the first time round and bought an Moses style basket that was lightweight and cute but completely not sids-safe.

Can anyone recommend one? I’d ideally like something lightweight, that can rock and isn’t super expensive. I’ve tried googling but have such decision fatigue I can’t figure out which one to get!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rosie28

• Kallie

• SleepyBear

• Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

We have the boori bassinet - wood frame with mesh sides. We got the one on wheels and just move it from room to room as needed. It’s sids safe because of the mesh sides. They’re expensive new but you can usually get them for a reasonable price on marketplace.

I’m not aware of any Moses basket style ones that are sids safe but others might know.

We had the Boori Matilda rocker and while I wouldn’t call it lightweight it was fantastic.

We had this too and agree that while it's not lightweight, it is on wheels and as it's soo much bigger than a bassinet it lasts much longer. I recommend it to everyone.

VeritasVinumArte

I hired a hospital style perspex bassinet. Had wheels to move baby from room to room, I would sit on the couch and use my foot to rock it.

Very handy with projectile reflux chuckers to wipe clean.

Then to cot about 8wks.

We had the Boori Matilda rocker and while I wouldn’t call it lightweight it was fantastic.

We had this too and agree that while it's not lightweight, it is on wheels and as it's soo much bigger than a bassinet it lasts much longer. I recommend it to everyone.

We bought ours second hand for $100 7.5 years ago, used it for our three kids and lent it out for three others. Sold it for $100 just last weekend!

Yep, we had two of these!

One in our room and one in baby’s room.

I was lazy and bought two, but they can be easily wheeled from one room to another.

I’m (was) a sucker for Boori. My kid’s rooms are still full of it and my youngest just turned 9 this week. Obviously the cots have been replaced with single beds etc. but they all still match and I haven’t had the heart to part with the cots or cradle/rockers. 🤫

We had the Tasman eco bassinet. Simple white wooden frame, mesh sides and on wheels. Worth every dollar being able to move it around the house and rock/sway bub to sleep.

This time around with DS3 we were very lucky to be gifted a Snoo, but for DS2 we used the Bloom Alma Mini Crib on wheels. It’s larger than a bassinet so we were able to use it until DS2 was almost 1. Still small enough to wheel around our small apartment & keep next to my bed.

When DS3 is too big for the Snoo in a couple of months I’ll move him into the Bloom Alma Mini until he’s big enough for a full size cot/toddler bed in his big brother’s room.

It’s on sale at Target.

https://www.target.com.au/p/bloom-alma-mini-crib/62909884

I hired a hospital style perspex bassinet. Had wheels to move baby from room to room, I would sit on the couch and use my foot to rock it.

Very handy with projectile reflux chuckers to wipe clean.

Then to cot about 8wks.

I second using one of these. Was bes thing ever. Could use it for baths too. And you can wheel it easily from room to room following older ds around. It was only hired out for something like 4 weeks or 6 weeks at a time and I thought that would be too short but by then I didn't need it anymore and kid was getting too long for it, so I imagine a bassinet would be similar?

I bought the Tasman Eco 2nd hand and bought a new mattress for it. Got it for a bargain and have now lent it to a friend. I definitely recommend it as you can wheel the bassinet around and it’s mesh.

I would also recommend getting it secondhand because you just don’t know how long they’ll actually sleep in there. We moved DS2 from bassinet to cot around 12 weeks as he outgrew the bassinet .

I wouldn’t bother with a mose style bassinet. We were given a hand me down one from my friend and it lasted like 4 weeks. Those things are tiny.

I got one of these second hand off Facebook marketplace for under $100 and it’s great, looking forward to using it in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

We went straight to a cot made up in a SIDS appropriate way. But my babies went straight into their own rooms and I had movement/breathing monitors.

I had two, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. The upstairs one was the Tasman eco with the mesh sides. The downstairs one was a basket that sat on a wooden stand, and I could pick the basket up and move it around if I wanted to go to a different room. I loved them. Didn’t use them for long though.

I bought both second hand and sold them when I was done with them. It was important to me to not add more junk to landfill, so second hand was what I wanted.

Advertisement