IGNORED

Cybex Priam/Cloud Q Capsule

willow

Somehow I have managed to get to nearly 30 without anyone close to me having had a baby in recent years, and I am very much not in the loop with baby gadgets/brands whatsoever. So please bare with me while I bounce an endless array of thoughts and questions of you!

I've been looking at pram/capsule/carry cot combos and have decided I like the Cybex Priam and the Cybex Cloud Q capsule. Main points I like about the Cybex is the compatibility of the pram with the capsule, the fact that baby can stay in the capsule up until 12 months and that it can be used in a lie flat position when not in use as a capsule. The carry cot also looks lovely with the mesh around the front which I think will be nice for a having a near new baby over Summer.

Now where I get stuck with is the carry cot attachment also necessary if I have the capsule (which can lie flat)? Its is another $700+ on top of an already expensive pram. Im trying to make my mind up early so I can keep an eye out for good deals or second hand stuff in good condition.

Cybex-Priam.png

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SleepyBear

• Kiwi Bicycle

• Greenbean

• willow

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiwi Bicycle

I assuming when you say capsule you are meaning the seat of the pram and not a car seat capsule? ( going off the image you supplied).

First off are you able to view the pram beforehand? Because some prams say they lie flat, but it's not really flat, It often means on a slight incline with a hump around the knee area.

I at one point was absolutely convinced I wanted a Phil and Teds pram with a Peanut carry cot attachement. Until I saw it. It was horrible, small and tiny and didn't push very well ( it had two handles instead of joined). I ended up with the now discontinued Babay Jogger City Select and I also got the bassinet attachemnt. I used it quite a bit as a daytime nap space, however by 4 months, bubs is starting to pull themselves up a bit and wants to see out, so I switched to the seat attachment.

Alot of people swear by the Baby Jogger City Select as it can be converted into a double stroller for a second child. It's been around for many years and there will be a lot second hand. It too has a bassinet attachment, huge basket and takes a large child ( I have seen 4 year olds still pushed in them).

Hi there, I did a lot of research on prams when I had my baby 18 months ago and Cybex didn't come up as a recommendation from anyone.

I just had a look on the website, and as the PP suggested the lie flat capsule doesn't really lie flat. It just reclines. Which is like baby sleeping in a bucket seat. Not ideal. Also I think the 12 month usage is a bit of a red herring as by about 4-5 months bub will be ready for their pram seat. It may be plausible to still use it as a car seat but it depends on the size of your baby. Many outgrow capsules earlier than. 12 months.

Like the PP, I recommend the baby jogger. I have the city mini GT2 because it lays flat, has a one handed fold and has heaps of space for my tall toddler to comfortably nap. It has a large basket underneath too.

I actually had the baby jogger city Premier with the bassinet until recently and my only issue was that it was a bit too heavy.

PS I never used a capsule, just a regular 0-4 car seat (the Graphene) and a bassinet for the pram. She actually napped in the pram bassinet during the day for the first couple of months of her life (C section so I didn't want to walk down the stairs)

ClaudiaCosette

I can't comment on the pram you are considering, but I can endorse the Baby Jogger recommendations! I have both the City Mini and City Select and they are both great. I used the City Mini with my first baby, then City Select when #2 came along, then back to City Mini once my first was walking, and then back to City Select with my twins.

I never used the bassinet attachment, just the capsules (only with the twins) and the regular pram seats. I did find it handy having the capsules, especially when my twins were babies and I had to take them in and out of the car for school drop off and pick ups. I had a standalone bassinet at home which they slept in as tiny babies, but not much past 4 months.

tinselfoil hat

Quite a few prams have a similar mozzie net and you can also buy generic ones to fit most prams (though these are less stylish of course).

I have a second hand bugaboo chameleon which I bought a breezy sun canopy for. This comes with a mozzie net to fit the seat or the bassinet which zips away when not in use. I believe the chameleon has been discontinued and replaced by the fox.

I’ll probably sell the pram and when baby is too big for the bassinet and use our BJ city mini. This is because the bugaboo is big, heavy and clumsy to fold. Most of the prams which look nice are like this. I buy prams off gumtree, clean them up and resell them. I kept the city mini because like PP’s say, it’s a brilliant pram.

Another that has never heard of Cybex but the longest you will realistically get from a capsule or bassinet is 6 months.

I have a Bugaboo Cameleon when I just have one kid with me and a babybee luna when I have two. Love both for different purposes and the Bugaboo has travelled the world with us when we just had the 1 bub but all 2 piece prams are heavy and cumbersome compared to single fold strollers.

Ok, just googled the one you are looking at and if that's what you love by all means go for it but geez it an expensive pram if you want the standard seat and the bassinet seat.

Hard to tell online if the standard seat really is flat enough for a newborn and deep enough not to worry about strapping them in. I have always appreciated using the bassinets as at that age I don't want to strap them in if I have them swaddled and asleep.

Newborn babies should not be in curved capsules for long periods of time and need to lie flat for sleeping as it can affect their breathing. I have always skipped using a capsule and have had 0-4 car seats instead as most I have known don't use the capsule for long due to the weight of it once occupied. If you have a cesarean, you shouldn't lift a capsule anyway as it's too heavy. If you really want a capsule though, many prams have adaptors so they can be added without commuting to a $750 matching capsule.

Lots to consider and good luck.

Princess Peach

Something to watch with the capsules is the weight of them. Some are heavy enough when empty, so add a 3/4kg newborn it’s ok, but by 6 months old my kids were 8 & 10kg - that’s a heavy weight to shift around, even for a short distance.

Advertisement