IGNORED

New baby gift ideas

LifesGood

Its been a long time between new babies among my family and friends and now, happily, we have a gorgeous new great-niece (can't believe I now fall into the 'great aunt' category).

So what is the latest best gift for new babies?

My previous go-to gift was the zip-up wraps for sleep-time as I found them a godsend with my second baby. Are they still a thing? I don't want to get stuff they will already have lots of, or the cute little garments, basket of baby products and toys. Nor do I want to give nappies or gift vouchers.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SleepyBear

• LifesGood

• Greenbean

• Kerilyntaryn21

Top Posters In This Topic

The zip up sleeping bags are still great!

My go-to “little extra” is a few dummies in different styles for them to try when bubs is wailing and nothing is working.

I also love books chosen with care. Perhaps a favourite from when you were little, or that you remember reading to your niece/nephew.

Silverstreak

Some six month plus clothes are always handy, as babies move out of sizes so quickly in the early months.

A baby ear thermometer is always useful I think.

Always nice to have a knitted cardigan or baby blanket.

Can't go wrong with a Peter Rabbit book for when they are older, or a Bunnykins bowl or mug, we still have DS' one.

I went shopping for a couple of new babies on Saturday (in our friend group we had 3 girls born in 3 weeks 😳.)

For one I got

A soft cable knit blanket from best & less (perfect for the cool winter mornings about to happen)

A little soft outfit from Big W in size 000. It's a little set that comes with pants, little jacket & beanie.

Some bibs

This is for a second baby girl so she already has a lot of stuff.

For first time babies, I get

Baby suits (size 000)

A book

Wraps

Bibs

Cot/bassinet sheets (I look for Aussie, handmade, spill resistant ones)

A Riff Raff & Co snuggly toy

A cute little outfit

If you need something rather quick, Big W, Best & Less, Target and Ollie & Me are my go to's for gifts.

ClaudiaCosette

I was thrilled to received personalised items for my babies (blankets and towels with their names on them, that kind of thing) as well as toys, books, and of course plenty of clothes! I like someone's idea of a baby thermometer. I received a baby first aid kid for my first and it's had a lot of use.

Yes to sleeping bags. Ergo pouch or love to dream are amazing. Small sizes are great, but one or two sizes up is good also.

I asked for 3-6 month outfits (00) for my baby as I had lots of teeny things.

Board books are great gifts too. We got the whole "that's not my" series and the "mog" series and they have had so much use.

I also got a ezpz tiny cup and spoons as a gift and it was so good for starting solids

https://ezpzfun.com.au/

Princess Peach

A pack of flat nappies was one of the most used items here.

But it’s much as I love the cute things, I tend to stick to things like cot sheets, singlets (summer sized as being qld it’s hot here),

A pack of flat nappies was one of the most used items here.

Same here, they are so useful as spill cloths. I had two packs of ten and they were used and washed until they fell apart.

I think I'll stick with sleeping bags - maybe one stretchy-type and one bag-type.

A braun ear thermometer. Was given to me nearly 17 years ago and it still works only changed the batteries a few times.

Also Moo Goo has beautiful baby products.

And can't go wrong with books. Classics like wombat stew and possum magic.

They are paramedics, I think they will have thermometers covered.

Books are a good idea, will add that to the list.

My go-tos are an assortment of classic board books, a nice printed wrap, onesies/singlets/leggings in size 00. Depending on the parents, I sometimes give a gift bag with more practical things - terry flats, baby Panadol, nail snail, dummies, bibs, a teether, nice but inexpensive baby care products (eg. the EcoStore ones are often half price at Woolies) etc.

Though, the last few babies I've known I've bought the Lamaze Captain Calamari toy and they have all been *obsessed* with him!

Silverstreak

Forgot to add Mustela baby wash, I was given it when DS was a baby and all these years later if I come across it it brings back memories of snuggly baby DS.

Also bibs and face washers, they always came in handy.

Inkogneatoh

Mum always insisted on giving "good" towels. Normally two and a face washer, in a bright, or unusual colour. She thought it was the best gift she got when I was born (and both my brother and I used our towels until well into our teens).

I liked consumables. We got so much ‘stuff’ and the best gift we got was a basket with things like wipes, Panadol, bepanthen, infants friend, a board book and chocolates. It all got used, including the basket that still holds toys in ds2’s room.

The gifts that got the most use were board books, Lamaze type toys (most recently Olivia the Owl) and practical clothes rather than fancy dresses that you only put on them once. I was given so many blankets and muslin wraps that I only kept the really nice muslin's and the hand knitted blankets and passed the rest on to friends. Babies don't need that many blankets in aus especially when it's a second child. My DC2 who was a late spring baby had 7 people give muslin cloths or blankets and most of the Muslims cloths were 2 or 3 packs.

Fruitmincepies

They are paramedics, I think they will have thermometers covered.

Books are a good idea, will add that to the list.

My paediatrician friend did not have a thermometer when her first was born!

Best thing I got when I had my first was an assortment of tea bags and lots of biscuits. It was very useful with all the visitors! Our neighbour recently lost her dad, I took over some extra special biscuits as I could see she was getting a lot of visitors.

Dinner ladies vouchers

Hands down!

This was my favourite gift! Friends offered me dinner ladies, a cleaner or a massage with them stressing that it was a gift for me. I then used dinner ladies for ages and still miss it as they don't deliver to my new state (WA).

If you know the baby’s name, anything personalised (esp if it’s an uncommon name) seem to be well received.

I also second/third vouchers for dinner, cleaning or a massage. We didn’t have much useful help when DD was born so having someone in to clean or a nice dinner would have been heavenly.

I love buying baby gifts and like you OP haven't bought any for a long time! A couple of ideas that I tended towards over the years were an outfit for the baby to wear in a larger size. When I had my first baby I had purchased all of the things I needed for when the baby was first born and received a few gifts of clothes as well that were all pretty small sizes. But one friend gave me a lovely pink striped jumper and matching beanie from Seed that were Size 0 and I really loved.

I also like Board Books and a nice bright toy that might be suitable from 6 months +

One friend gave me a Fisher Price brand stride to ride scooter thing suitable for 12 month and up. It wasn't huge and was in a box, it required some basic assembly. I remember thinking it was a strange present for a new born but I remember one rainy day when I was stuck inside going crazy I suddenly remembered it and got it out for DD and it went down a treat.

I also sometimes have bought something just for the new Mum, such as a nice pair of pyjamas from Peter Alexander. I also bought a nice zip up jumper type thing for a friend once which she really loved, after spending all those months in maternity clothes she was excited to have something brand new to wear.

Advertisement