IGNORED

Portacot mattress

Emissary

We got given a portacot from a close friend. We haven’t used it but it looks like we might need to bring it along for a weekend away later on this month.

I’ve taken it apart to wash it. It’s been in storage for a few years now. My friend hasn’t used it for about 4 years but overall it’s in great condition.

Would you buy another mattress for it? I’m of the opinion yes but DH thinks why bother, the mattress seems in great shape and isn’t dirty. He doesn’t think there’s any risk with it.

If we buy another mattress, I’d be taking it to Clark Rubber to get an exact cut out.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Emissary

• Kiwi Bicycle

• Grumbles

• BECZ

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you putting another mattress on top of whatever it come with? I would not add anything to a portacot otherwise it becomes not safe. There is a reason the mattresses in portacots are pretty flimsy and are strapped/velcroed in.

If the mattress is stain free and doesn’t smell, I’d just use it. It’s not like it’s a permanent mattress. And they are sized to suit the cot. Pop a sheet on it and it will be fine.

No definitely not adding another mattress but just replacing the mattress that came with the cot.

But we have decided to just wipe it down with disinfectant and let it dry in the sun as suggested by the PP.

Thanks all!

You can buy *very lightly’ padded sheets for them but I never did, just used my standard cot ones. They are easy to clean so much less risk using the mattress it came with than a foam one. A child small enough to sleep in a portacot does not need much padding at all. And it defeats the purpose to carry around an extra mattress when it is designed to fold up small.

Just make sure you know the weight limit and have practiced setting it up before you travel as they can be a bit tricky when you are tired and in unfamiliar surroundings.

Kiwi Bicycle

I remember the time there was a huge SIDs push about possible mould in 2nd hand mattresses and one doctor in NZ pushing for people to wrap their mattresses in a piece of heavy duty plastic. I guess that's all been debunked now?

I also just added a waterproof mattress protector for a little extra padding. It may give you peace of mind by having another layer too.

I reckon a couple of hours out in the sun should do the trick if your still worried.

Advertisement