IGNORED

potty training DD!

Pandobox

I feel better posting here about this even though the old forum is technically still active.

DD is 3 years and 2 months and has always been a very strong willed spirited girl.

Anyway.. at around 2 I started loosely potty training her.. but I royally stuffed up by doing it loosely. I took her to the toilet with me every single time, we talked about what we did etc. At 2 and a bit I got her a potty and started placing her on it randomly ..if she would do a wee or a poo I would reward her but I kept her in pull ups as I wasn't 100% in it all. Then this Covid thing started and I just couldn't get my head around potty training especially with DH home all the time, us both working from home...I was waiting for him to go back to work so I can have a few days with just DD and I and we could tackle the potty.

Around 2-3 months ago, just before her 3rd bday I noticed DD randomly out of nowhere became terrified of the toilet after we tried to put her on it to try out her new toilet seat. She no longer followed me to the toilet either and would just stand at the door terrified. if I try to encourage her to go in she cries and protests.

I decided to then pause the toilet training thing and just try get her going on the potty regularly and into undies as suggested on EB... as she was willing to sit on the potty.

DD now sits on the potty but she will hold on to dear life for wees. If I time her poos and sit her when she needs to go she will do a poo with little drama...but wees.. she just won't release until her bladder is absolutely full and she's crossing her legs and unable to hold it any more. This often also leads to her seeing in intervals..she will release just enough to say LOOK I DID IT but won't empty completely so we spend ages on and around the potty till she's had a normal wee and she just doesn't relax enough to do it all in one go. Has anyone dealt with this and what do we do about it? She doesn't have a uti.. put her in a pull up and she will fill it no problems, no tears nothing.

I have offered rewards..big ones... one which I knew she really wanted and she would wee only a little and then ask for her reward :roll:

How do I get DD weeing on the potty willingly without holding on and without drama? In the end I get the wee out of her by placing her feet in water, running peeing sounds on youtube etc but only after her bladder is really really full and she can't walk without crossing legs.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pandobox

• riotproof

• Redchick

• Turbulent

Top Posters In This Topic

No real life experience with this problem but a random thought - would she fully wee if she was on the toilet rather than potty? Is she concerned about the potty overflowing?

I would completely stop talking about it.

I would get one of those I’m a big girl now board books preferably with the flush button that makes a noise and leave it without comment where she can reach it.

Can usually get at Kmart big w etc

https://collinsbookswarrnambool.com.au/p/parenting-toilet-time-for-girls--3

And I would get an insert for the toilet. They have ones with steps attached too. After a month or so, if she hasn’t shown any interest, I’d start reading the book to her and letting her do the flush button.

I found the toilet insert helped with fear of the toilet.

I have one son who struggled with sensory issues, he simply preferred the feel of the pull ups so it was a struggle transitioning him to the toilet. We used social stories, rewards and letting him choose his underwear to help him feel more in control of the change. But similar to you, rewards didn’t really sway him.

Stepping back a bit and not making him feel so pressured allowed him to start processing it all better too.

Has she ever mentioned any accidents or something that may of put her off the potty /toilet? Fear of change or anything?

We have success! :lol:

I dont know what happened but I put her in undies and persisted and she's got it.

We are now nappy free ..but poos are tricky. She does them in the potty but its taking a bit longer - and that's ok.

I purchased a fancy toilet seat and step and we shall transition to the toilet hopefully with not too much drama

Advertisement