IGNORED

FYOS 2021

Pooks

DD is starting prep here in Melbourne next year, so things are a bit of a mess, but apparently there will now be orientation of sorts. She is so very ready to go (read: bored and causing shit for laughs) I wish I could send her tomorrow ;)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LemonMyrtle

• Kallie

• Kiwi Bicycle

• Princess Peach

Top Posters In This Topic

Dreading it. I will miss my boy. He has autism and anxiety and I have anxiety- great combination! He wants to learn which is one great thing. But I plan to book in a few psych sessions (for myself lol). I just feel really sad that 5 years has gone so quickly and he is stepping out into the real world.

I'm anxious too. I'm just really scared of sending my boy off into the big world. What if he's not ready? What if he doesn't "get" how to read? What if he doesn't make friends? Uggghhh!

When the worries are at bay, I'm happy and excited for him. We just found out that the next transition session will be in person, in groups of ten. That's really exciting!

Yes we found out today our groups of 10! Very exciting, thrilled that they will be able to do in person transition.

Second child for us so feeling quite chill about it all this time around, but I remember that feeling that you guys are talking about very well! It's hard. But I found that I got used to it really quickly, lol.

DD is so excited for school. She's loved kinder this year (when she's been able to go). I need to send her permission forms in still and figure out how I'm going to fo school uniform (they have the official stuff but apparently plain clothes in the right colors are fine too). I think I'm more nervous than she is by far, but I had a pretty crappy primary school experience, and I'm sure she won't go through what I did so, just trying to shake it off lol

Just a suggestion about uniform, buy at least one offical school shirt, and jersey/ jacket. That way they don't stand out in school photos and are identfiable in school trips or events. The majority of kids will be wearing school branded tops. If you can't do new, buy second hand.

Glad this thread is started up again. I’ve done my uniform order. Was going to get some pants today from best and less and totally forgot. Oh well, I have enough already. So plenty of time to get a few spares.

More online stuff that I have missed. Hope they do some face to face stuff soon, DS would like that.

DD is starting next year, she is so excited which I think will make the transition a little easier. I found out last week there will be no orientation which really sucks.

We are having orientation in groups of five kids (plus one parent each), in a few weeks. DD is very excited!

We have plenty of uniform hand me downs from her sister. Usually the official stuff is easy to order from school (with an old fashioned form!) The generic tracksuit pants etc are usually easiest to find in Kmart/target in January.

• 4 weeks later...

DD1 is starting FYOS next year as well and I'm quite nervous. She's definitely ready and will probably run amok if I were to keep her in 4yo kinder for another year. We've had two "orientations" via WebEx so far and the actual school orientation doesn't happen until the week before Term 1. Not too happy about it to be honest.

We've had a zoom, and a 15 min visit at the school on thursday, another one on Monday, then I think on the 8th they'll have an orientation day. I'm getting more nervous as dd basically went mute while we were actually at the school with her teacher. I know she'll be fine once she's comfortable, but it could be a hard transition if she's feeling so overwhelmed with just a short visit with me there. She'll be on her own on the 8th

DD1 is starting FYOS next year as well and I'm quite nervous. She's definitely ready and will probably run amok if I were to keep her in 4yo kinder for another year. We've had two "orientations" via WebEx so far and the actual school orientation doesn't happen until the week before Term 1. Not too happy about it to be honest.

Are you in Victoria? The department has eased restrictions again on Wednesday so parents are allowed on site in limited numbers ( and must be masked and signed in) so our school is running small group tours for FYOS.

Well we got our date and time for school orientation. It’s small groups. And it’s about half an hour. That’s it. He will barely have time to see the classroom and teacher. And it’s on my work day of course, which is a pain.

Oh well, I guess February will have to be orientation. Just hope by Feb I am allowed on site to walk him to the classroom. Don’t want to drop him at the gate.

Poor little kids.

Princess Peach

Orientation was done a few weeks ago & they are only just organising the class groups now. We had a Saturday session with groups of 20 kids, spending 45 minutes in a prep class with a teacher & aid, whilst the parents scored the PR treatment in the hall, which as a new parent was informative, but as a current one not so much.

the staff hadn’t been allocated exact classes when I was called in regards to a class placement for my big kid the other day that was being done after the lists were finished. But the prep kids won’t meet their teacher until day 1 next year (DS knows 2 of the 4 prep teachers & I’d love it if he could have one of them)

I’m in qld & parents are now allowed back on site & in the classroom, so day one you can walk your kid into the room rather than say goodbye at the door, which is what was currently happening.

When DS started prep in 2018, he hadn't meet his teacher either. In his case it was a new hire. It's normal practise to get a letter in the mail in Jan with their class details and teachers name. Last year, going into Grade 1 , once again he got a new hire. He was lucky the teacher came for the one hour they had on the last day of school to introduce themselves. So Covid doesn't sound like it's changed those practises.

After reading maggie Dent on FB I feel even worse now. She's all about play based. Are you worried about your child having to do too much academics next year and not enough play?

Princess Peach

After reading maggie Dent on FB I feel even worse now. She's all about play based. Are you worried about your child having to do too much academics next year and not enough play?

Having had one go through prep at the school already, I’m happy with the mix of play & formal learning our school has, but I know it differs greatly between schools.

Are you in Victoria? The department has eased restrictions again on Wednesday so parents are allowed on site in limited numbers ( and must be masked and signed in) so our school is running small group tours for FYOS.

Yes I am in VIC. I know that surrounding schools have allowed children to go on site for the formal orientation but ours is not happening until the week before Term 1 next year. They are still restricting visitors at the moment.

• 1 month later...

School starts Friday and i am fraking out a little bit.

Not sure how DS will go. so i am a bit worried about that.

Mostly though, i am worried about the stuff surrounding school, how will we do drop off and pick up on my work days once working from home ends? how will i fit in therapy appointments? DH is starting a new job, will it be flexible? will he be able to help? Will i be able to get home by 3:30pm if i leave work at 3? etc etc.

Argh!

We're starting next Tuesday, i'm also worrying about logistics, but mine are travelling 4 kids to school and back with no car lol. It's going to be exhausting. Still need to register for ooshc, but that should cover my casual days

Blue skies, I know what you mean. It seems so overwhelming.

I think for the most part, kindergarten teachers are very good at meeting the kids where they are. It is definitely more structured than preschool but they do still have opportunities to free play ime.

There are 200ish school days a year. You will be amazed at the growth that happens over that first year of school.

Princess Peach

First day of school here in Qld & mine ditched me at the door without a backwards glance, even the deputy principal (who was on crowd control) had a giggle at me calling him back to say goodbye.

My son starts tomorrow, he’s very excited. We just hope for a nice boring, uneventful year. We would not manage having to homeschool him!! Good luck to all the others starting in the coming days.

Advertisement