IGNORED

School bus passes

Ernegirl

If a school child has a bus pass, can it be used ad hoc or are they expected to use it every day once registered?

We are in NSW, DD is entitled to free bus travel, but we generally drive or walk to school. However there are times when it would be handy for her to get the bus.

I realise we would be delayed in getting it for the new school year if we apply tomorrow, just wasn't sure what the norm is on usage, and that would influence our decision on applying. If she can use it when and as needed, that would be really helpful.

Thanks for any advice!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernegirl

• amdirel

• LifesGood

• verucasalt

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they can use it ad hoc but only to go directly to and from school.

The drivers allow kids to use the bus without a bus pass in the first few weeks of term 1 as many are waiting on new bus passes to arrive. In fact my DD often forgets to take her bus pass and the drivers still allow her to ride. I think there is a rule that they aren't allowed to leave any child at a bus stop following the Daniel Morcombe case.

We moved at the end of last year, and applied on the second last week of term. We got the pass within a week and it is a free School Opal.

If you apply online now, you should get it well before school starts.

My son hasn't used it yet, but has now found friends that live in our new area. He'll start coming home this way a few days a week.

https://apps.transport.nsw.gov.au/ssts/schoolTravelPasses#/

Edited by verucasalt

As much as I hate to admit it, DD1 rarely takes her bus pass with her, so I know that she’s not scanning it.

She has never had an issue with it when I make her take it and use it. (I have asked DS1 to check that she uses it)

We are at the end of the route (they don’t go to our local high school) so if they don’t use it, their route may be cut and they’ll have to walk further.

Advertisement