As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Car seat help

DaLittleEd

Hi all.

My just 5yo has been in the Britax SnS Platinum Pro something or another since birth. We rear faced until 4yo.

Although there is still room on shoulder markers (an inch) I have run out of room to lift the headrest and shoulder straps any higher as the headrest is pushing on the side/roof of the car.

We can't put the seat in the middle as we wouldn't have room for the massive dog on the back seat. Also, DH is very tall and with front seat comfortable for him there is no room for DD's seat in the middle.

I would really prefer to stick with a harnessed seat as I am not confident DD would stay in a seat belt booster and sit properly upright, especially on long drives.

Does anyone have any recommendations on slimmer harnessed booster seats? I had a looked at the SnS harnessed boosters but they all seem rather wide. I could try a different convertible car seat, but probably wouldn't get much longer out of it as DD is tall and the seat she is currently in has very high height markers (highest available at time of purchase).

Would appreciate any advice to try and narrow it down before I have to drag DD to the shops and try a hundred car seats and then see which fits in the car etc!!

Edited by DaLittleEd

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DaLittleEd

• Princess Peach

• Hills Mum Bec

• LemonMyrtle

Top Posters In This Topic

Princess Peach

Infa secure have a version of the safe n sound maxi guard - the name escapes me, but it’s fully harnessed until 8 & slightly slimmer than the Britax seat.

The only thing is that if a zero to 4 convertible seat doesn’t fit in the back seat, none of the boosters on the market will fit.

Really? None of the boosters? It's not a small car (Camry). The seat she is in does have a ridiculously wide headrest.

Hopefully I don't need a new car.

I could probably wiggle the seat over a bit to make room, but I don't really want to as it is sitting where it is most stable.

I think you may need to try the 100 car seats. If one type is hitting, it’s likely many others will. Because the head rest part on all seats rises to suit the height of the child, so they all get pretty tall. Some are narrower, but will they be narrow enough?

Maybe add to your post the type of car you have, and maybe a photo? So people can compare to what they have.

Noooooooooooooooooo. I hate shopping, and the child is hyperactive. Oh well, if we have to try the 100 seats so be it I guess. I shall have to bring the tablet along and use some Bluey as distraction.

It's a Camry.

Not a harnessed booster, but we have our 8yr old in this seat on the side in our Camry.

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/infasecure-ventura-ii-car-seat-blackberry/p/669741/

He used to be in something like this one (infasecure Evolve?) until we needed it for his little brother and it also fits on the side.

https://infasecure.com.au/collections/forward-facing-car-seats-6m-8/products/emerge-treo

Princess Peach

Really? None of the boosters? It's not a small car (Camry). The seat she is in does have a ridiculously wide headrest.

Hopefully I don't need a new car.

I could probably wiggle the seat over a bit to make room, but I don't really want to as it is sitting where it is most stable.

the Sns compaq I had was lower than the maxi guards my kids are in, I have a Corolla so not an overly big car either.

Guest Chamomile

Maybe you could call one of the car seat fitters and get some advice.

I used “Littles” to get my car seat fitted and the man was so passionate about car seats and made videos for social media about it.

By the way, did your OP say that you had the car seat rear facing until 4 years old? I know that’s the safest, but I am truly amazed by your child!

There is a Facebook group called Child restraints. Is your child restrained correctly? There is a lot of information on there, and some fitters are on there and offer advice.

I used “Littles” to get my car seat fitted and the man was so passionate about car seats and made videos for social media about it.

By the way, did your OP say that you had the car seat rear facing until 4 years old? I know that’s the safest, but I am truly amazed by your child!

Yeah, she hated the seat as a baby, but by 2yo she could see out RF and loved it. She was a bit upset when we turned it FF as apparently she had a better view of the sky RF.

Also, it was a pain getting her in and out of the seat RF but I also loved it - no tantrum kicks to the front seats!!!

Hills Mum Bec

We have this Type G seat for our DD:

https://www.babybunting.com.au/baby-love-ezy-grow-harnessed-seat-silver-grey.html

It’s not a convertible booster but a harnessed 0-8 seat. Doesn’t take up too much room and it would fit an average sized 12yo (that’s how old our older DD was when we bought it for younger DD and 12yo DD fit in it with room to spare).

Thanks HMB.

So, I investigated a bit. The current seat is 50cm wide, and it's the top side of the headrest touching the side/roof of the car (where it curves around near top of window).

It looks like there are harnessed forward facing seats (6 months to 8 years) that are only 46 cm, and that extra 2cm clearance next to the window should help. Will head to the shops to test some in the car by myself, then when I have a shortlist will take DD to test them.

I guess that a lot of the modern SUV cars probably have a lot more head room, and a kind of squarer profile near the sides/windows than the sedans like the Camry.

Hills Mum Bec

Thanks HMB.

So, I investigated a bit. The current seat is 50cm wide, and it's the top side of the headrest touching the side/roof of the car (where it curves around near top of window).

It looks like there are harnessed forward facing seats (6 months to 8 years) that are only 46 cm, and that extra 2cm clearance next to the window should help. Will head to the shops to test some in the car by myself, then when I have a shortlist will take DD to test them.

I guess that a lot of the modern SUV cars probably have a lot more head room, and a kind of squarer profile near the sides/windows than the sedans like the Camry.

We have ours in a Suburu Impreza with no problems.

Princess Peach

Yeah, she hated the seat as a baby, but by 2yo she could see out RF and loved it. She was a bit upset when we turned it FF as apparently she had a better view of the sky RF.

Also, it was a pain getting her in and out of the seat RF but I also loved it - no tantrum kicks to the front seats!!!

Sounds like my nephew - my brother only turned him because his legs were hitting the roof, at 4 he barely made the turn markers. He isn’t the biggest of kid’s anyway, but all leg.

Advertisement