IGNORED

Books for kids on sex and religion

Guest Alias Grace

Guest Alias Grace

Hoping to get some recommendations for books aimed at preschoolers or early primary schoolers to explain:

1. Sex / reproduction / where babies come from;

2. Religion; and

3. Bodily autonomy and protective behaviours.

My 4 year old is interested in #1 and I need some help to explain things to her in a factual but age appropriate way. On #2, I am anticipating questions soon as her pre-school includes a weekly 'Christian Education' class (not sure yet what that will entail). DH and I are from different cultural/religious backgrounds and so we want to encourage a pluralist approach to religion - but neither of us are religious and we lack the language and tools to frame and discuss spiritual concepts. For #3, there's no real driver - just realised that it's not something that we have discussed with DD except in a passing way.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MintyBiscuit

• Murderino

• Purpleblaze

• IamtheMumma

Top Posters In This Topic

Can only help with #1, highly recommend this

https://www.booktopia.com.au/the-amazing-true-story-of-how-babies-are-made-fiona-katauskas/book/9780733333880.html

We got it for DS to help with his million questions when I was pregnant with his sister, he was 3. It doesn’t have anything on menstruation which is a bit of a shame, but apart from that it’s excellent.

For number 3:

My Underpants rule by Kate and Rod Power

Your Body Belongs to You by Cornelia Spelman

For number 2, I think maybe books on the subject may mostly be for an older age group. How about something with lots of pictures which you can refer back to over time? Something like 'What do you believe? Big questions about religion" or 'See inside world religions"

I would be interested in #1 also for my DS 8. I haven't explained anything mostly because he has younger siblings and would not be shy in telling them and all his friends at school.

I second MintyBiscuits suggestion for #1, we love that book, we also had “Everyone's Got a Bottom” for an age appropriate introduction to bodily privacy and autonomy. I think it might even have been recommended on old EB.

Can’t help with religion - I opted my kids out of SRE when it was in school and don’t teach them any religion.

Purpleblaze my now 9yo has been asking questions since he was 2.5/3 yo - how did I get out of you, how did o get in there and so on.

I always told the truth but always prefaced the answers with a reminder that this is a family conversation as some parents don’t talk to their kids about this stuff yet and that’s their choice not ours. I’ve never had the dreaded call from school that he’s taught someone what sex is or anything.

Then at a school council dinner last year a parent mentioned talking about the birds and the bees and skirting around stuff and worrying their kid would repeat stuff at school. In the conversation I just said I answer everything with the truth in an age appropriate way. The principal, where someone was worried their kid would share at school, said “I just lie to my kids” and I said not in our house - we have an agreement I will always answer honestly but limited to what’s age appropriate AND these are family conversations not to be repeated at school. My son’s teacher (he had the same one for FYOS to grade 3) said she had never had an issue with him sharing educational details!

1. we have it's not the stork https://www.booktopia.com.au/it-s-not-the-stork--robie-h-harris/book/9780763633318.html authors have 3 different books for different age groups - we've used them all

2. The only book i can find is The Kids Book of World Religions, it is very dry https://www.amazon.com.au/Kids-World-Religions-GLOSSOP-JENNIFER/dp/1554539811 DS still hasn't finished it after multiple attempts and is currently considering the Flying Spagetti Monster as a possible religion so it's probably not much help

3. +1 on Everyone's Got a Bottom

Advertisement