IGNORED

Deodorant for pre-teen

nom_de_plume

I've noticed with the hot days recently, that DD 7yo has started getting a bit stinky. This is mainly on school days and probably exacerbated by polyester/cotton school shirts. I have just ordered some 100% cotton shirts and will make sure she takes a daily shower (previously she'd skip it sometimes as she was tired). If this doesn't help, we'll need to start on deodorant. What deodorant do your pre-teens use? Needs to be a roll on or stick as aerosols irritate my sinuses.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nom_de_plume

• CrankyM

• VeritasVinumArte

• Pooks

Top Posters In This Topic

We’ve been using the Simple brand 0% aluminium one for DS, he’s 9. Has been working well and seems pretty ok in terms of any nasty ingredients. He’s prone to eczema too and no issues so far

We like the Simple one too. It doesn’t quiet hit it on the really hot days but I live in the tropics. Those days we use the mitchem neutral as it’s low scent (and issue for us). Usually as a “top up” at school after PE. I also make the kids pack a spare shirt for sport/PE days though big kid now takes his sport shirt for HS for those days as that is requested by them.

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/national/product/simple-pure-deodorant-roll-on

BTW the link of aluminium causes dementia has been debunked. However it still lingers as an advertising thing. So don't worry about aluminium in your antipersprant.

BTW the link of aluminium causes dementia has been debunked. However it still lingers as an advertising thing. So don't worry about aluminium in your antipersprant.

We mostly use simple because it’s neutral smelling. It’s amazing how hard it can be to find a non strong smelling deodorant. Both my kids are sensitive to scent and so am I. The Mitchem one is the only other one my kids will tolerate.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I might start her with the Simple or Moogoo as she does have sensitive skin. The boys use whatever of Nivea/Rexona is on special but they don't have skin issues. I use the Botanica Body Crystal referenced above, and Dove or Lady Speed Stick for when I play sport.

I'm not worried about aluminium. I just don't want her to be teased for smelling.

VeritasVinumArte

DD likes the stick deodorants over spray or roll on.

I have purchased a variety for my kids to try and decide upon which they prefer for texture and scent. My boys love the Nivea Sensitive roll on.

We had to remind DS of the importance of washing his armpits with soap - he was previously of the "stand in the shower and let the water run over me" approach to getting clean.

So yes deodorant, but a reminder on cleaning properly might also help!

A timely thread indeed. My daughter is just 6 (she’ll be 7 in June) and I just noticed this morning she was a bit whiffy under the arms. Isn’t 6 a little young for BO? I think I’ll be deodorant shopping before long - with some of the useful suggestions in this thread as a guide.

We had to remind DS of the importance of washing his armpits with soap - he was previously of the "stand in the shower and let the water run over me" approach to getting clean.

So yes deodorant, but a reminder on cleaning properly might also help!

Yes, I suspect this is part of the issue!

Advertisement