IGNORED

Precocious Puberty in 8 and a half year old

Chillipeppers

And OP, you haven't failed her. You saw an issue and did your best to get her seen. Sadly waiting lists (even private) can be ridiculous these days.

My daughter has grown about another 5cm in the two years since she got her period, versus about 25cm in the two years before. VeritasVinumArte you are right about the percentiles, DD was always on or just above the 75th % and at 14.5 she has finished growing (I think) smack bang on the 75th.

OP you are doing everything you can and I hope the scan results bring some optimistic news. Donā€™t be afraid to be the squeaky wheel but it really sounds like your dr is on the case.

Ā 

When my daughter was a teenager, I remember seeing the projections for height. This one was for girls, and only having one girl I didn't look at the boy ones. From about 10 - 18, there were two different projections to end up at about the same height, and she very much tracked on the lower one, reaching about 171cm in the end, yet was (class wise) at the short end for most of early secondary. Her cousin on the other hand, exact same height now, was that height by year seven.

acidulous osprey

The anecdata in this thread is pretty much not relevant with all due respect. It's when the growth percentile goes under 1% you're looking at intervention. We went through a few years of DS1 bouncing between the first percentile, third percentile and not even on the chart percentile. He was followed closely with bloods and xrays and we came close to needing growth hormone but he never sustained the first percentile for long enough to qualify and his puberty markers were not precocious.

Hilariously (anecdata alert) he's 6 foot now. We were told 5 foot 5 at most but he suddenly had a huge pubertal spurt and went from being this tiny little guy to a large guy. Of course now she's transitioning she's bitter she didn't stay tiny!

Good luck with it, I found once we were in the endo system the care was great.

The anecdata in this thread is pretty much not relevant with all due respect. It's when the growth percentile goes under 1% you're looking at intervention. We went through a few years of DS1 bouncing between the first percentile, third percentile and not even on the chart percentile. He was followed closely with bloods and xrays and we came close to needing growth hormone but he never sustained the first percentile for long enough to qualify and his puberty markers were not precocious.

Hilariously (anecdata alert) he's 6 foot now. We were told 5 foot 5 at most but he suddenly had a huge pubertal spurt and went from being this tiny little guy to a large guy. Of course now she's transitioning she's bitter she didn't stay tiny!

Ā 

The OP has said her daughter has jumped a couple of percentiles due to precocious puberty, so I assume sheā€™s around the 25th percentile now. The issue is that she may only have another six months of growing unless she receives medical intervention. If they were to wait until she hit the magic 1% mark it may be too late to do anything as puberty may be complete. Totally different to your situation which was a small child not yet in puberty.

My DD got her period at 10. I had noticed pubertal changes when she was not quite 9.

She has grown slightly since then, but is still under 150cm. Both her dad and I are not tall and she was born prematurely, so combined with early puberty she didn't stand a chance.

She definitely will be able to buy from kids or adult wear all her life. :)

Doctor originally told me she was on the very early side of normal puberty age.

Hope you get an appointment soon OP.

Chillipeppers

My DD got her period at 10. I had noticed pubertal changes when she was not quite 9.

She has grown slightly since then, but is still under 150cm. Both her dad and I are not tall and she was born prematurely, so combined with early puberty she didn't stand a chance.

She definitely will be able to buy from kids or adult wear all her life. :)

Doctor originally told me she was on the very early side of normal puberty age.

Hope you get an appointment soon OP.

Ā 

This sounds like my dd situation. Iā€™ll let you all know how I go. Hoping to hear from the pediatrician today as I called and left a message with reception that results should be in today. Iā€™m going to ask the pediatrician if he can call and book in for me to speed up the process.

Chillipeppers

Thanks for telling me what you went through. I donā€™t think this is the same situation though as my dd has already started puberty and is in the very last stages of it. This is time sensitive and she hasnā€™t had a chance to finish growing. I think intervention is needed.

VeritasVinumArte

[mention]acidulous osprey[/mention] actually what is under consideration of OP is NOT growth hormones but puberty blockers. It is looking at the role of advanced puberty with finishing growing.

As I said I had a son with a chronological age of 12yrs with a puberty stage age of 15/16 with similar 15yo growth plate age. On the other hand my second child had a chronological age of 12, a puberty age of 15 but his growth plates age of 12.5.

Puberty blockers are different to growth hormones and are given for different reasons.

Chillipeppers

Pediatrician has contacted me and told me he will be calling westmead himself to get my dd seen. Now I need to wait for them to call me with an appointment time. Thanks everyone.

• 3 weeks later...
humblebumble

Gosh, I feel so bad this is my daughter & nothing was ever brought up, she's 11 now and def in stage 5, her huge growth spurt was the previous 12mths, she's tiny if she doesn't grow anymore & she won't reach 5ft unless something dramatic changes. She has a lot of other serious medical issues so her growth was the last thing on anyones minds :( & we just keep telling her someone has to be little & she's pretty special, I'm not that tall either but not as bad.

I hope you get the results you all want. <3

Chillipeppers

[mention]humblebumble[/mention] donā€™t feel bad, as you said she had other medical issues which trump height, we are all doing the best we can. Itā€™s hard when things donā€™t go to plan. We finally have an appointment date. Itā€™s a month from today so hopefully we have caught it on time to do something about it.

• 1 month later...
Chillipeppers

Just an update. We went to see the endocrinologist and she doesnā€™t recommend injections as she will only gain 2 cm from them and they will need to be administered for 2 years. It seems a bit excessive for only 2cm. With that decision made, it means my dd will get her period by the end of the year. The dr did confirm she will reach roughly 150cm and we are happy with that.

She requested an mri and ultrasound to see if anything else is going on and the mri has discovered that she has something called chiari malformation type 1. I have been googling and i know I shouldnā€™t but now that I have, I am petrified. The dr confirmed that this can bring on early puberty and has referred us back to the paediatrician who will now possibly make us go see a neurosurgeon.

We now wait until august for more information. I promise I will try keep away from google.

Seayork2002

I see a endocrinologist in Sydney if you would like details PM me but not sure if she is only for adults or sees children as well

Chillipeppers

I see a endocrinologist in Sydney if you would like details PM me but not sure if she is only for adults or sees children as well

Ā 

Thanks but we have already seen an endocrinologist at westmead. She is now referring us to a neurosurgeon because of the incidental finding in the mri.

Seayork2002

Ā 

Thanks but we have already seen an endocrinologist at westmead. She is now referring us to a neurosurgeon because of the incidental finding in the mri.

Ā 

sorry I clicked on the link by accident and saw the word endocrinologist, I saw mine for my pituitary gland

hope it all goes ok

Chillipeppers

Ā 

Ā 

sorry I clicked on the link by accident and saw the word endocrinologist, I saw mine for my pituitary gland

hope it all goes ok

All good. Thanks. The mri was to check her pituitary gland and that was ok.

VeritasVinumArte

[mention]Chillipeppers[/mention] glad you have some answers. I am only 150cm.... I was never tall so am just used to everyone over 4th grade being taller than me. Scary about the accidental find on the MRI but hopefully the neurologist will be more reassuring.

Chillipeppers

@Chillipeppers glad you have some answers. I am only 150cm.... I was never tall so am just used to everyone over 4th grade being taller than me. Scary about the accidental find on the MRI but hopefully the neurologist will be more reassuring.

150cm is not tall but itā€™s also not too short so we are happy with that. I donā€™t know much about chiari type 1 so hopefully in august we get some answers because google is scaring me.

I'm only 5'1" yes short but livable. Yes the other news is a bit scary but they know about it now so hopefully can stop anything bad from happening.

Silverstreak

All the best for August Chillipeppers. I am short myself (just on or under five foot) and it hasn't held me back in any way (except having to get my pants and sleeves taken up). I keep a footstool in the kitchen for when DH isn't around to get things on the top shelf of the pantry, but that's about it.

Fruitmincepies

All the best for August Chillipeppers. I am short myself (just on or under five foot) and it hasn't held me back in any way (except having to get my pants and sleeves taken up). I keep a footstool in the kitchen for when DH isn't around to get things on the top shelf of the pantry, but that's about it.

Ā 

The supermarket gets me! Sometimes I have to hang around in an aisle waiting for someone tall enough to get something off a top shelf for me, especially if itā€™s pushed to the back a bit (and Iā€™m 160!)

Ā 

The supermarket gets me! Sometimes I have to hang around in an aisle waiting for someone tall enough to get something off a top shelf for me, especially if itā€™s pushed to the back a bit (and Iā€™m 160!)

Ā 

Me too, i've a top shelf kind of girl :-) Can hardly do a shop without needing help, but people are very kind.

• 11 months later...
Advertisement