• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lou-bags

• Lurker

• Jenflea

• CrankyM

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend's son came home this year talking about how carbs are 'bad' and trying to avoid them, so she had to sit him down and explain why we need carbs(our brains need them!!) to grow and learn etc.

I swear, these teachers have no idea what messages they are putting across sometimes with this healthy eating stuff.

Health nurse is due to start their assessments of the kids soon. His kindy teacher is going to word her up about DS2 so hopefully she is extra mindful and careful with her words when she speaks with him. He's well within the healthy weight range for his age so I don't predict any issues there anyway.

I remember well when DS1 had his at age 4.5yo, and the nurse phoned me to tell me he was overweight according to his BMI and proceeded to lecture me about healthy eating. It was bloody awful. And no, DS1 was not actually even overweight. There are huge issues with using BMI for young children. And it's like she didn't even look at him! My GP and community health nurse at the chemist and the one at the child health clinic we went to were all horrified. Grumble grumble mutter mutter.

I had a really good chat with DS2's kindy teacher yesterday, and will have another with daycare tomorrow. Kindy teacher said she will keep an eye out and that if I see any further signs that worry me that she can refer me to someone. And that the school counsellor and chaplain are available if I would like them to have a chat with DS2. I'm holding off for now, want to keep an eye on it for a little longer and see if I can talk it through a little with DS2 myself first.

Phoned Butterfly Foundation. Waste of time. Bit disappointed to be honest. All the person on the phone did was the equivalent of 'nod and smile', and tell me it was good I phoned. Hmmm.

Only good thing to come from that was that I now know where to go if I need a list of recommendations for health care practitioners with special interest and or training in this area.

A friend's son came home this year talking about how carbs are 'bad' and trying to avoid them, so she had to sit him down and explain why we need carbs(our brains need them!!) to grow and learn etc.

I swear, these teachers have no idea what messages they are putting across sometimes with this healthy eating stuff.

One of DS1's classmates (year 2) came home from school refusing to eat meat and giving his parents a hard time about driving their car for a little while after some talks about the environment recently.

I can imagine it must be pretty hard to both provide appropriate information to children about these issues while also making sure they understand it properly and can put it into context in their own lives!

It feels pretty pointless to me to educate such little kids about healthy eating and how meat and driving and so on are bad for the environment. Like what choice do they have? Literally the only thing they can do about all that is worry. Awareness of health and environmental issues is all well and good for adults, and to a certain extent older teenagers, but for kids who have no control over their environment, and very little ability to understand nuance or context, it seems genuinely cruel.

Advertisement