IGNORED

16th birthday gift help please!

Lou-bags

Hiya!

We are going to the 'sweet 16th' birthday party of a family member soon, and I am completely stumped for gift ideas. Your help and suggestions would be gratefully received.

Cheers!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lou-bags

• Silverstreak

• Julie3Girls

• Lees75

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BusbyWilkes

What sort of budget are you thinking of? By sweet 16, I’m assuming a girl?

Obviously depends on interests, but

Eyeshadow palette (or other make up/skincare) from Mecca

Money for a driving lesson or special key ring if they are getting their Ls

Pandora ring (or charm if she has a bracelet)

Voucher for an experience

Books

Bluetooth speaker

AirPods

Jewellery would be my go to for that age - depending on what sort of jewellery she wears .. earrings, bracelets, necklaces, gold or silver etc.

I would buy a nice brooch to put on a coat / jacket lapel, something a bit different but still personalised. Can be their favourite animal, a nice flower, old fashioned or modern. Etsy is good for that kind of thing. I've kept all my brooches that I've been given over the years, they're a bit of a time capsule in a way.

I am going to go against the grain and say no way to any kind of jewellery unless you know the kid well. These kind of well meaning presents get put somewhere to never see the light of day again, it’s nice to think they will be appreciated but unless the kid is into mimco or brooches, they are just something you like and not really a present about the kid. I used to hate when my family would give me stuff they wanted me to like or collect, it just showed me over and over how they did not know me at all.

I would go money or a gift card. She likely has her eye on something and the cash will be appreciated to help her get that.

• 4 weeks later...

My vote is for a piece of jewellery or contribution to something bigger that she might be saving for. As JF mentioned, it will depend on the child and what they are into.

My DD loves jewellery and has a collection that I believe she will cherish over time. I have given her my jewellery from when I was a teen and it has meaning to her. She will eventually get all of my jewellery, and some pieces have been passed down to me from my mother and aunt.

• 1 month later...

Oh I never came back I’m sorry!

Update - I bought her a YA book I’d read recently and enjoyed. And put a voucher for another book of her choosing inside.

She loved it!

Advertisement