IGNORED

Period underwear. Update post 35.

Paddlepop

What is the best period underwear for a tween girl? Seems that periods are getting closer for my DD and I want to be prepared.

Any other tween/teen period related advice, recommendations etc are welcome.

All my mum did was leave a booklet about periods on my bed for me to read, and bought me a packet of pads. I don't think that sort of hands off, distant approach will work for my DD. Shame. It would be a lot easier for me!

Edited by Paddlepop

VeritasVinumArte

DD likes to wear the Bonds undies or the Toms ones you can get at the supermarket. She is starting to wear them full time so she is covered if/when period starts.

She has also watched these videos and thought them hilarious. She will ask me to play them again for her from time to time.

We have been talking about it for years so it is nothing new and normalised for her.

I use Thinx undies everyday so I KNOW they work, plus very helpful when my perrimenopausal cycles are suddenly 17d after being over 45d for a few months. Very helpful that day as I was wearing a white skirt too.

We have the secret girls business books and many other books on puberty, body changes and pregnancy. She was the girl in grade 5 who called out “yippee” when she was allocated the Vulva to research for personal development classes.

So yeah, she is going into grade 6, but all over the idea of periods as we have normalised talking about it for the past few years .

ETA I should add DD when she was 3 cried out at Christmas Lunch “guess what Nonna.... boys have a penis and girls have a labia!” Mum was shocked that DD knew the word but I liked to keep things medically correct as possible.

ETA2: we have put together a period kit for school with pads, tampons etc plus period undies. We have also played around with different size and types of pads. If your DD is smaller/younger there are girls pads which fit the kids undies much better than normal size pads.

DD and I both have a multipack from modibodi. They do a red version for tweens and teens. They have been good, but we have had some holes in ours. I will be trying bonds next. Their stores often have 40% off which I assume would include undies, which would make them fairly reasonable to buy.

We've used the Modibodi ones and DD loves them, but definitely depends on which cut you get. I've enjoyed them but have found there is a bit of a different smell when wearing, even when they have been cleaned etc, so will probably try another brand.

What about the odour issue with ModiBodi that was discussed either here or on old EB? A lot were finding that the wool was retaining unpleasant odours which released when the underwear warmed up. My DD is super sensitive to smells.

I had a look at their page and turns out they now have a vegan range that doesn't include wool.

VVA: Yes, my DD is fairly small. I was wondering if I'd need to look for smaller sized pads. Any suggestions on brands?

Oh, I should have mentioned that DD needs generous coverage at the back with underwear. Definitely no small-bummed underwear for her. It would just crawl up her backside and she'd be constantly picking it out.

Guest BusbyWilkes

What about the odour issue with ModiBodi that was discussed either here or on old EB? A lot were finding that the wool was retaining unpleasant odours which released when the underwear warmed up. My DD is super sensitive to smells.

I had a look at their page and turns out they now have a vegan range that doesn't include wool.

VVA: Yes, my DD is fairly small. I was wondering if I'd need to look for smaller sized pads. Any suggestions on brands?

Libra girl - much smaller than standard Libra pads, but still as absorbent. Come in regular or goodnights.

I know lots of families play around/experiment with pads and tampons with water, to show their kids. A few whose daughters have ASD freaked out initially when they got their period, as it was red (so didn’t look like their “experiment”). So, use some red food colouring/fake blood if you feel this will help her to understand more realistically what it will look like. I also know of girls with ASD who were upset at their blood loss/thought they may bleed to death. If this might be your DD, try talking about it being extra blood that she doesn’t need. Good luck!

I’ve got Thinx, Modibodi, Tom’s and Bonds. The bonds are my favourites at the moment, good coverage and always feel dry.

My parents sat me down and we had a frank discussion about the female body. I was about 9.5years old. So glad they told me because 6 months later I got my period, and thankfully knew to go to the teacher for a pad and some panadol.

I bought Modibodi to try and really liked them. Only problem is they are a little pricey to get a lot and Ive gained weight. So I think I will buy reusable pads instead of the underwear just because my weight is all over the place.

We have used Modibodi in our house for DD. First lot we ordered (when she first started her period aged 11) she could get up to 12 hours wear without needing to change them - Heavy flow absorbency. We have ordered the next size up and on days 2 - 4 of her period she is wearing four pairs of Modibodi over the 24 hour period - Again we bought the heavy flow absorbency. I’m not sure if DDs flow has greatly increased or whether they new ones purchased are less absorbent.. DD has ASD and has sensory sensitivities amongst other things. I bought some pairs for myself as well, but haven’t been game to try them yet (which is hard to reconcile within myself considering how much they cost even on special). I’m afraid of leakage with my flow levels.

My parents sat me down and we had a frank discussion about the female body. I was about 9.5years old. So glad they told me because 6 months later I got my period, and thankfully knew to go to the teacher for a pad and some panadol.

I bought Modibodi to try and really liked them. Only problem is they are a little pricey to get a lot and Ive gained weight. So I think I will buy reusable pads instead of the underwear just because my weight is all over the place.

There are cheaper alternatives. Bonds are around the $ 24 mark and often have sales, Tom Organic are $14 and Luna Loves around that too ( but have a synthetic main part of the underwear).

I have Love Luna ones. They're ok. They definitely don't smell. I have heavy absorbency ones which don't last the night on days 1-3 by themselves but will catch overflow if I use with a cloth pad.

The thing I really don't like is you can't tell when they're full until they leak.

I have modibodi, and they do smell a bit. Not strong enough that someone standing next to me can smell it ( I think!) but more when I take them off/use the loo. Also getting tiny holes in the gusset, but I’ve been wearing these pairs for around 2 years. Recently got a pair of toms which are fine but the leg openings are more snug. I’ll get some bonds to try the next time they’re on sale.

VeritasVinumArte

Libra Girl like PP mentioned is the one we played with, like a PP mentioned we also used red food colouring to show how a tampon and pads absorbed red water.

Period undies are great as they are black on the inside so you don’t see much blood. I have taken the gross point of asking my DD to come with me sometimes when I need to go to the toilet when I have my period to show her what the bright red blood looks like at the start of my period and the dark brown blood at the end. DD hates blood and often screams at the sight of blood so I am trying to work on normalisation and desensitisation for her.

@Cookiegurl Big W had the Bonds on sale on Friday. Might still be on sale till Christmas, I didn't check the dates on the price tag.

Ooh good! Now I just have to gird my loins and brave the Christmas traffic and crowds!

mumsytobigones

When mine needed them (and period swimwear) neither Modibodi or Thinx smallest sizes fitted. They still haven’t implemented really small sizes. You can’t have ill fitting period undies or swimwear. We found a brand in the US that did smaller sizes and the size that fitted wasn’t even their smallest size! They shipped internationally and it was really quick, but was obviously way pre-Covid. Can’t recall off the top of my head the name and they also underwent a name change at some point. My DD still orders her period undies and swimwear through them even though she has gone up in size since starting periods, but would still be XS in normal clothing. The smaller Modibodi/Thinx ones may now fit but I guess if she has found something that works it’s the ‘if it ain’t broke’ thing. Plus they have an enormous range of period swimwear which she loves and she seems to think the local period swimwear not as fashionable, no idea if that’s correct or not though. I think she may replace every 18mths or so but not sure if everything or just bits and pieces. I just see $$ go off my card, who am i to question ................

When mine needed them (and period swimwear) neither Modibodi or Thinx smallest sizes fitted. They still haven’t implemented really small sizes. You can’t have ill fitting period undies or swimwear. We found a brand in the US that did smaller sizes and the size that fitted wasn’t even their smallest size! They shipped internationally and it was really quick, but was obviously way pre-Covid. Can’t recall off the top of my head the name and they also underwent a name change at some point. My DD still orders her period undies and swimwear through them even though she has gone up in size since starting periods, but would still be XS in normal clothing. The smaller Modibodi/Thinx ones may now fit but I guess if she has found something that works it’s the ‘if it ain’t broke’ thing. Plus they have an enormous range of period swimwear which she loves and she seems to think the local period swimwear not as fashionable, no idea if that’s correct or not though. I think she may replace every 18mths or so but not sure if everything or just bits and pieces. I just see $$ go off my card, who am i to question ................

My 14yr old wears modibodi: kids size 8-10. They're pretty small, as is she.

I'd like to k now the name of the US company, my DD is tiny (which hopefully means puberty is a while off yet!!) but she still wears 6-8 undies at nearly 11. I'm really worried the ones here won't be small enough.

mumsytobigones

Jenflea - sounds like my DD at the time. I think she may have been in 8-10yo size undies when she got periods. Was in her early teens though. She is in bed now but I will ask her tomorrow and post as it’s been a while since I have been involved in the ordering. Definitely check out the swimwear as well as DD swears by them.

ETA - you prob need to try one of each of local brands as kids/people are different shapes. As poster above said her kid in 8-10 was fine in Modibodi. Mine definitely wasn’t at that size, was too gapey, it all seems to go on shape of kid not size. If they can fit in a local brand then that may be easier option. I’d also work off each companies size charts (having to measure kid) when ordering rather than working off what size underwear they wear.

Is the American brand Ruby Love? They used to be Panty Prop.

Very handily there was a post on this topic yesterday in a FB group I’m in and someone mentioned the brand Knicked. It’s a new Australian brand for tweens and teens. Their prices seem very reasonable.

Advertisement