As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to ALL of our forums. ×
IGNORED

10 year old getting period before sister

ceeshell

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has experience in their daughter getting their period before their older sister?

My middle child is 10 and I think might be getting her period (very dark brown discharge). She has the definite start of boobs and pubic hair but not much. Her older sister is 13 and is much more developed in both areas but no sign of period.

I’m an only child and was 11 when I got mine. Should I worry about my oldest or just leave it?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jenflea

• Blizzy

• Rosie28

• ceeshell

Top Posters In This Topic

It's possible. I was 12 but have friends who were 10.

My mum went through menopause at least 5 years earlier than her oldest sister so it can work in that direction too ...

Phillipa Crawford

There is six years between my girls.

DD1 was nearly 17 and DD2 was 14.

Had they been the regular 2 years apart same thing would have happened to us.

I know 10 year olds get periods but I prefer to be in the position of your older daughter

ClaudiaCosette

I wouldn't be too concerned. I'm the oldest in my family and got my period at 10 (same as my mum had) and I think both my sisters were older when theirs started (I never actually knew). Is your older DD worried about hers not starting yet? I'd probably just not make a big deal out of it and let them know that everyone is different.

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has experience in their daughter getting their period before their older sister?

My middle child is 10 and I think might be getting her period (very dark brown discharge). She has the definite start of boobs and pubic hair but not much. Her older sister is 13 and is much more developed in both areas but no sign of period.

I’m an only child and was 11 when I got mine. Should I worry about my oldest or just leave it?

I wouldn’t worry about your oldest except if she’s worried. She might feel a bit left out or left behind in which case some reassurance or special time with you might be a good idea, but 13 or older is well within the realms of normal. 10 is also normal though the younger end and I’d be more worried about helping her cope with the logistical side etc. In which case- the Bonds period undies are great, as are Thinx and Toms.

VeritasVinumArte

https://raisingchildren.net.au/pre-teens/development/periods-hygiene/periods

“When periods start

Most girls will have their first period when they’re between 11 and 14½, but anywhere from 9-16 years is considered normal. If a girl has a major growth spurt and has grown some underarm hair, periods are likely to be just around the corner.

If your child hasn’t started her period by the time she turns 16, it’s a good idea to talk with your child’s GP. There can be lots of reasons why periods haven’t started by then, and medical assessment can rule out any serious problems.”

At 13 I would not be concerned about periods not starting yet. I would think 12/13 for them to start would be more average.

Thanks everyone.

I should have mentioned that the 10 year old is turning 11 in January.

My eldest is naturally extremely thin. This could have something to do with it.

I asked my gyno about this a few months ago and she said body fat has a fair bit to do with it.

It's partly why gymnasts and dancers with little to no body fat either don't menstruate or start later.

My girls are 2 1/2 years apart and both started their period this year about a month apart. So, you might be lucky like me and get a 2 at once deal. Now I get them both being hormonal at the same time 🤦🏼‍♀️

I asked my gyno about this a few months ago and she said body fat has a fair bit to do with it.

It's partly why gymnasts and dancers with little to no body fat either don't menstruate or start later.

Isn't the magic weight around 43kgs?

DD14 is a dancer, around 41kgs. No period yet.

24kg at 13 is very slender OP. My son is 10 and is on the 10th centile at around that weight.

Is it worth a general checkup to make sure she’s doing well generally, nothing to do with periods?

I had undiagnosed coeliac in my teens and twenties. I was managing ‘ok’ but I was not well. I can tell the difference now. I couldn’t as a youngster - I didn’t know what I was missing. I own my bias - and I’m not suggesting she has coeliac - just wondering if you’re certain there’s nothing else going on.

[mention]SplashingRainbows[/mention] if it's my DD you're thinking of, she's 10 at 24kg and while technically she's underweight, genetics have a LOT to do with that. She's also short and comes from a family of short people on both sides, and her dad (and my mother in law)are all skinny.

My DD is 58kg, no period yet 🤷🏼‍♀️🙏

@SplashingRainbows if it's my DD you're thinking of, she's 10 at 24kg and while technically she's underweight, genetics have a LOT to do with that. She's also short and comes from a family of short people on both sides, and her dad (and my mother in law)are all skinny.

May have got the daughters mixed up? Sorry I thought you were referencing your older daughter. 24kg at age 10 I do understand (have one myself!)

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter was 9. I was 15. I was very thin at school though (5'6" and 42kg when I finished year 12) so I assumed my size had something to do with it. My DD is small as well though (although she's 42kg atm and only 5' tall).

I wouldn't worry about either. I mentioned DD's age to a paed gynae and she said females seem to be starting earlier and she said she would have been more worried about me not starting till 15!

My DD is 58kg, no period yet 🤷🏼‍♀️🙏

I think the weight thing is a furphy too. DD was extremely tall and 55kg when she got hers, the month she turned 13. She is fairly sporty.

I had 4 girls, all very close in age, their weights did not seem to affect the onset of menstruation. None of them were over weight but the 2 smaller ones definitely got their first period earlier than the 2 slightly bigger ones.

You do need some fat to store oestrogen so very thin, muscular athletic girls will often have delayed periods. My thinner girls were just regular non athletes.

Ultimately I think genetics is as important as anything else.

Advertisement