IGNORED

2021 Yr 12

SillyDuff

I know there is a thread made last year, but thought I would start a new one for this year Year 12s.

My DS is starting to get very anxious with school starting back this week. It's going to be a really long year :( I keep telling him that the HSC is only one pathway but it also doesn't help when he doesn't feel motivated :(

Guest BusbyWilkes

I have one too. Also not looking forward to it (me more than them!) They have said that now it’s year 12 they will work; as opposed to year 11. I have had to learn to be very hands off.

Here as well. 17yo with autism, severe anxiety and a school that arent very supportive. This year is going to be a tough one.

Totally understand! DS is ASD and High anxiety, thankfully his main support teacher is great but the head support teacher gets me very frustrated.

I have one, but he is really looking forward to this year. He has already done one yr 12 subject (research project) and got an A, so school is happy for him to only do 4 subjects this year:

1. Maths Methods (which he loves) also gets 2 bonus points in SA

2. English, also gets 2 bonus points

3..PE

4. Integrated Sports

He is totally happy, doing 2 PE subjects! Although the official PE is a lot of work and not easy- they cover Anatomy/Physiology/Biomechanics that I didn’t do until Uni.

Here as well. 17yo with autism, severe anxiety and a school that arent very supportive. This year is going to be a tough one.

Totally understand! DS is ASD and High anxiety, thankfully his main support teacher is great but the head support teacher gets me very frustrated.

I have to say, despite the worries, it is wonderful that more and more kids with disabilities are making it to year 12 and beyond.

I’ve got one! Not actually too worried about the school year for this one - Dd2 is fine with school, and they are already in their Yr12 groove as term 4 was officially yr12 for them. She loves her classes, and is doing really well in all of them. Her biggest issue is not knowing what she wants to do after yr12, and that is going involve some decision making at some stage.

Very different to Dd1, where high school was a nightmare, severe anxiety, social problems .. the school work was ok, but the anxiety in particular just made it miserable. But, she had a clear direction, got her hsc, went and got her diploma last year and is now full time in childcare with plans for uni. Finishing school was the best thing possible for her.

My DS is in year 12 this year. In the last week or two he has finally decided what he wants to do at uni (physics and electrical engineering) so that will hopefully give him incentive to study.

I have one doing Year 12 too.

She did quite well in year 11 and thrived with remote learning. She got a score of 46 in her unit 3/4 subject, and she hopes to do medicine at uni.

She's got a few people together to start a band, so we'll see if that becomes too much of a distraction. Her friends have also started up a weekly social night, and that's been good on her anxiety and stress levels.

This is probably going to be her best school year experience ever.

I have one doing Year 12 too.

She did quite well in year 11 and thrived with remote learning. She got a score of 46 in her unit 3/4 subject, and she hopes to do medicine at uni.

She's got a few people together to start a band, so we'll see if that becomes too much of a distraction. Her friends have also started up a weekly social night, and that's been good on her anxiety and stress levels.

This is probably going to be her best school year experience ever.

That is so good to hear, some kids really really just blossom in year 12, it is just good timing for that age.

DS was going to be exactly that, his friends were doing the social thing each week which is just so good. Good luck to her.

That is so good to hear, some kids really really just blossom in year 12, it is just good timing for that age.

DS was going to be exactly that, his friends were doing the social thing each week which is just so good. Good luck to her.

Thanks.

Yesterday was a bad day here, all three of my boys are having lots of anxiety about going back to school.

DS is our eldest, so first time as a mum I am going through the final year! However, I am a teacher and helped many students through their final year but still feel so unsure as a mum. Should I leave him to find his own motivation, or do I give him that push he so often needs :(

Yesterday was a bad day here, all three of my boys are having lots of anxiety about going back to school.

DS is our eldest, so first time as a mum I am going through the final year! However, I am a teacher and helped many students through their final year but still feel so unsure as a mum. Should I leave him to find his own motivation, or do I give him that push he so often needs :(

This is my 3rd time. I tend to leave my kids to work it out themselves, though it may be different when the 4th one goes through it. Maybe give him a few weeks to settle in?

When the 2nd one didn't get dux, the 3rd child told me off and said it was my fault I didn't push for them to study. (always mums fault, and not dads!)

I was happy that the 2nd one had a few interests outside of school, they worked a little bit, which lead to being offered full time work after year 12, and they did get into an Engineering course, but deferred, and chose to work. They are now doing a different course and have a full scholarship, and don't need any financial support from us. Not bad for someone who didn't get school dux. ;)

So dd2 started back on Friday. The school has turned their timetable upside down.

She now has two classes on during period zero - meant to be used for extension classes, other classes are meant to run during the normal timetable. Not happy .. Dd2 is not a morning person, and there are no buses to get her there so I’m doing drop off. Oh, and period zero is 15 minutes shorter than a normal class, so loosing class time.

3 hours straight of legal studies, as that was the only way to fit the classes in - can’t see the third hour being particularly useful.

And two classes that have been scheduled for the same period. Fortunately (?) one of them was the extension maths that she had already planned to drop. Otherwise she would have had to pick which class to attend and catch up on the other one.

So on the two week timetable, she has two early starts that I have to drive her to, two late starts, and 4 early finishes ... what happened to set school days?

So dd2 started back on Friday. The school has turned their timetable upside down.

She now has two classes on during period zero - meant to be used for extension classes, other classes are meant to run during the normal timetable. Not happy .. Dd2 is not a morning person, and there are no buses to get her there so I’m doing drop off. Oh, and period zero is 15 minutes shorter than a normal class, so loosing class time.

3 hours straight of legal studies, as that was the only way to fit the classes in - can’t see the third hour being particularly useful.

And two classes that have been scheduled for the same period. Fortunately (?) one of them was the extension maths that she had already planned to drop. Otherwise she would have had to pick which class to attend and catch up on the other one.

So on the two week timetable, she has two early starts that I have to drive her to, two late starts, and 4 early finishes ... what happened to set school days?

That sounds like a nightmare! Has the school given any reasons for their decision making?

DS was excited to head off to his first day of Yr 12 today. He only found out his time-table and teachers yesterday, as they release it late to stop the inevitable barrage of emails and complaints during the school holidays. He was super happy he got the English teacher he wanted and all the other teachers he already knew. He was also happy that between P.E. and Sports Integrated, he will be able to wear P.E. uniform 4 out of 5 days. Most of today was going to be school assembly, house assembly, care group, locker allocation, etc, so they only had formal lessons for the last double of the day (our school works entirely on 4 double lessons per day). He will miss the double this afternoon (Maths Methods) because he is part of the mentoring group for the Yr 7 and new Yr 8s, as they missed out entirely on their orientation day due to COVID shutdown in Nov.

[mention]Julie3Girls[/mention] thats bizarre! How confusing for you all.

My DS found out last week that his english teacher is the same senior school leader who has refused to make an special consideration application for DS to have some minor accommodations due to his disabilities. Not ideal. Im trying to sell it as skill building in that we all have to deal with people we might not agree with or like and its good to learn skills to cope (but not sure my face sold it).

Guest BusbyWilkes

First day of year 12 in lockdown ☹️ Obviously know it’s necessary, and others have had it tougher, but not the ideal start for a kid who has been struggling with engaging with school work.

Guest BusbyWilkes

[mention]Julie3Girls[/mention] My kids have zone 0 classes too.

For some subjects that have multiple classes, they also do in class assessments at the same time (to prevent passing on of answers). As their class times are all different, all of their tests (particularly in science subjects) are zone 0.

Overcrowded public school is the reason.

We travel 15 minutes to the nearest public school. There has been an ongoing campaign for 20 YEARS trying to get a local public high school, and the govt keeps declaring that we don’t have the numbers. Instead they are letting our zoned high school run over capacity. Schools everywhere have been tightening up their enrolments, not allowing out of zones even for siblings of current students, so more of the kids who used to be bused into Newcastle are instead attending the local. Combined with an increasingly good reputation, especially in CAPA, the yr7 enrolling group is increasing every year. Used to be around 130 kids in year 7, the last three years they have jumped to over 200 for each incoming year.

They added three new demountables last year (already had 4) and classes are still being run in weird locations - there is one area where the hall way has actually been blocked off to allow them to use it as a classroom. The yr 11 and 12 kids are struggling to find places to study during free periods, due to the library being used as a constant classroom.

I actually don’t blame the school for the mess ...

This is my second going through the hsc here, and the teachers are amazing, going above and beyond in so many ways.

The school is doing their best to keep class sizes down, and still run a wide range of hsc subjects, even with very small class sizes, which results in shortage of classrooms and teachers. After all, they could solve a lot of the problems by increasing class sizes dramatically, and cutting out hsc subjects, which would be a worse outcome. But wow, it makes for problems with the timetable.

The weird times are inconvenient, but luckily I’m not working. I’m hoping some of it might change once the classes settle in.

Milly Molly Mandy

I'll join in. NSW based here and my eldest is doing the HSC this year OMG how did that happen!!

He's not overly enthusiastic about it all and I think the whole year is going to be a battle to get him to do any work. Very frustrating because he's a really smart kid and could go really well if he put the effort in. But as I have to keep telling myself it's his HSC not mine.

I have a year 12 this year as well.

I think she will be ok. Fairly self motivated and organized.

I will keep an eye on this thread.

Good luck to all parents and kids!

CB

How has the first week or two been for everyone? DS17 is loving it so far, enjoying the Yr 12 hub with a fridge, coffee machine, toastie maker, etc. He hasn’t really had much homework yet, other than a bit of Maths Methods, finishing off class work. They have swimming carnival on Monday and then camp from Wed-Fri, so no real work until the week after.

He is very happy with his decision to switch to the integrated sports subject. One of the main assessment tasks is a research project, and he loved doing the yr 12 research subject last year (compulsory SA thing). Plus they started training for True Grit, so yesterday was cardio, starting where you are at. Some kids just did a 30 min walk. DS and the other footy boys went for a 5km run- did it in 25 mins, and could still talk the whole time- a foreign concept to me!

Edited by Lees75

I am scared to say not to bad lol DS seems to be going well, plenty of work already which he seems to be on top off. However he didn't realise his online course started in Week 1, thought it was from the first online meeting. So he has a bit of work for that subject to catch up on.

Has a bit more motivation at the moment, just needs to stop procrastinating - easier said than done lol

Advertisement