IGNORED

what does your 16 year old pay for?

Caticorn

DS is starting year 11 and is doing VCAL so he will at school 2 days, tafe one day and workplace training one day per week, for which he will be paid.

He does not have any other job and he has ASD and some learning difficulties so I am not pushing him in that direction at the moment. We give him a small amount of pocket money, but he has no interest in much other than gaming so he doesn't really spend it. Given the chance I'm sure he would fritter it away on games and v-bucks but we generally won't let him.

I think he will be earning something like $60 per week. He will need to get public transport to and from work and tafe and I am wondering if I should get him to pay for it himself, or at least contribute to the cost. It's not that I need the money, but more from the point of view that he needs to learn to how to budget his income and that as an adult there are responsibilities and things that will need to be paid for before the fun stuff.

What sort of things do you get teens to pay for once they start earning?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caticorn

Top Posters In This Topic

My 17yo will be doing year 12 this year. He also has autism and other medical and physical issues which for the moment preclude him for being able to work on top of going to school and I receive carer payment for him. He will start getting $25 a week pocket money this year. He isn’t expected to pay for anything himself yet except for things like art supplies beyond what I can reasonably pay for or take away or canteen at school.

His older brother was receiving the disability support pension at that age and I asked him to pay for his own phone and any extras like social outings and the clothes he wanted beyond the basics I could afford. He also paid a small amount towards general living costs.

So that’s my long winded way of saying it’s different for everyone. There is no right or wrong (I mean I guess unless you make him work for 8 hours to be allowed eat or something!).