IGNORED

School Opal card (NSW bus pass)

LifesGood

I arranged a school Opal card for DS to use for travel to and from school via bus and train. It was all approved and the card arrived this week. Today DS tried to use it and it didn't work! I've been trying to figure out if and how to activate it but no luck so far. My transport account which has all of our family Opal cards won't allow me to add it to the account, presumably because it is a school one.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amdirel

• BECZ

• LifesGood

• Seayork2002

Top Posters In This Topic

I had trouble with DD's at first too. It was a faulty batch though, not our fault.

Is it coming up with an error code when he taps it? The people (lol vague I know, I'll try and google in a sec) wanted the error code.

She ended up getting a new card sent out.

I’ve never had to activate my kid’s school OPAL cards. This may have changed, but if it has, it’s changed this year. (DS1 year 7 last year. Didn’t have one in primary)

They’ve just arrived in the mail and the kids have scanned them the next day without issue.

I think you’ve got a dodgy!

Just a second thought, did it come up error with both the bus and train?

Or, was he possibly using it with a bus company that the card is not authorised?

When DD1 started high school two years ago, I initially only activated it for the bus company that runs the school route, but a few weeks later I added another bus company as if she misses the school bus, the busses to the station are mostly from the other bus company.

Is it possible that they haven’t activated it for all trains/busses?

I think you can log on and check which companies are approved for his card. Maybe they didn’t enter all companies when activating his card.

Edited by BECZ

Sometimes our non school ones (ds lives too close) work normally then we have to tap a couple of times for it to work so it could have been the machine?

DS had trouble with error codes when he started high school. Turns out he was still using his primary school card which had been cancelled.

Did you request train and bus when you applied for it? If so give transport nsw a call. We found them very helpful. .

Advertisement