IGNORED

When can a teenager 'officially' earn money?

Seayork2002

What I mean is DS is 13 now and is way too young for a regular paid job but he has some opportunities to earn ad-hoc money so I was thinking of getting him a TFN, when is old enough to be paid through the normal way rather than just family/friends paying him type thing?

Just occasionally like on school holidays or odd weekends

Also I should have said, he can also volunteer but when would it be him doing it by the book rather than just a child helping out?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seayork2002

• Hills Mum Bec

• Julie3Girls

• nom_de_plume

Top Posters In This Topic

tinselfoil hat

It actually varies state to state. Your state OHS body (safe work etc) will have information on their website as to when a child can work. It’s not as simple as saying a particular age etc, as you do get occupations like child clothing models, etc which obviously need to be done at particular ages. Setting your son up with a tfn nice and early is a great idea.

It actually varies state to state. Your state OHS body (safe work etc) will have information on their website as to when a child can work. It’s not as simple as saying a particular age etc, as you do get occupations like child clothing models, etc which obviously need to be done at particular ages. Setting your son up with a tfn nice and early is a great idea.

Thanks, I am in NSW and will look into it I was just thinking more odd jobs or just the volunteering bit or helping one family in their job nothing really specific at this stage I had it my head to start the TFN process later this year when he is 14.

Hills Mum Bec

My tip is to get a TFN number before they turn 16. From memory it was a lot easier to get a TFN for DD under 16 than it was for DS when he was over 16 as the ID requirements are different. I think if they are under 16yo they only need 2 Proof of Identity documents instead of 3 and for DS all we had was birth certificate and medicare card because he had lost his school ID card. Had to end up ordering a new school ID so that he could get a TFN.

Do schools still help children organise a TFN? I remember my high school did in the 90s, but I already had one from when I was young (for modelling).

My children's school goes through the TFN application process in library lessons in term 1, year 9. A fair chunk of students already have them though and are working. They also teach them how to write a resume and hold mock interviews with every single student.

Doesn’t seem to be a minimum age in nsw. I know a lot of my dd3s friends were getting paid employment at age 13, mostly places like MacDonalds and subway seem to hire them very young. Cheapest form of labour for them, given that wages are based on age until you hit 18,

Personally, I’d prefer it if it was still a bit older, around the 14-15 age bracket, like it used to be.

TFN ... it’s really not hard .. my oldest got hers at 17, Dd2 was 16. ID was fine - birth certificate, learners license, student Id, Medicare care (mine), debit card (to access an account for pocket money etc),,, heaps of options. Filled in the online form, post office to show proof of Id.

No the school didn’t help with it. My girls’ high school do have a careers a class in year 10 where they practice interviews, do a resume etc. Did annoy me a lot when dd1 was in yr10, and was harassed by the careers teacher for not having a part time job,

Do schools still help children organise a TFN? I remember my high school did in the 90s, but I already had one from when I was young (for modelling).

It was done as part of the work experience program at our school, although some kids already had one by then. They also covered writing a cover letter and resume, job searching and interpreting job ads, how to dress and groom for work and mock interviews.

thanks everyone, I forgot about school helping with job stuff so will talk to DS and if he wants to wait till Y9 will see then if the school does it then

I know we’re talking about a different age group, but I think there’s something for the 16-18 year group whereby banks withhold tax from interest earnings unless you provide a TFN. I remember trying to get my daughter to apply for one because her meagre interest was having tax withheld.

Her employer at that stage was just paying them without any payroll system. She was new, they were young and not earning enough to pay tax.

DD has applied for a job at Hungry Jacks (she's 13) and a TFN is a requirement of working there. We're also setting up a Super account as you're never to young to start!

Ds is now 23. so I'm sure its changed by now, he had his first "paying jobs" at 12 - refereeing football games and pamphlet delivery. Football was cash in hand, pamphlets went into his own account, but I don't recall him having a TFN? He then started at Maccas at 14, definitely tax file no. there.

Advertisement