• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paddlepop

• amdirel

• Froyo

• banyan

Top Posters In This Topic

Fruitmincepies

Do you still need darker hair to make laser work? I looked into it ages ago and decided that my very blonde leg hairs wouldn’t work. The paleness does mean I can get away with pretty hairy legs.

We have a wax pot at home and I wax her underarms and bikini line whenever she asks which is maybe every 3-4 weeks or so.

Where can I purchase a wax pot for my DD, I think she would love that, pretty sure she wouldn’t be interested in me waxing her side bits, aside note I love your relationship with your DD, very cool xx

Do you still need darker hair to make laser work? I looked into it ages ago and decided that my very blonde leg hairs wouldn’t work. The paleness does mean I can get away with pretty hairy legs.

Not sure about girls these days but no hair removal was coming near these Mediterranean legs :)

FMP: Pretty sure you still need dark enough hairs for the contrast between skin and hair colour. I know that EBers in the past have recommended to get it done before dark hairs start turning grey because it won't work on grey hair.

The new generation epilators are so much gentler. Our teen uses this. Much cheaper than waxing at a beautician and longer lasting than shaving with non of the rough grow back. I love my Braun Silk Epil. It is cordless and can even be used in the shower.

I still remember the pain of the Epilady my older sister got when she was 17 or 18, maybe older.

My dd has shaved since she was about 10-11, she was self conscious and made a convincing argument that’s it’s her body, her choice! She has her dads olive skin and dark hair. She sometimes lets it go for ages and then shaves again when she can be bothered.

I definitely let her know whatever she chooses is totally fine and no one else’s business 😀

The new generation epilators are so much gentler. Our teen uses this. Much cheaper than waxing at a beautician and longer lasting than shaving with non of the rough grow back. I love my Braun Silk Epil. It is cordless and can even be used in the shower.

I still remember the pain of the Epilady my older sister got when she was 17 or 18, maybe older.

oh yes! I remember mum's first one - the pain was so great i could never do more than one leg in a day, and I am not very hairy.. I think the only reason I was prepared to give them another go was that waxing always leaves me looking like a plucked chook for a week.

Even blonde hairs can be not so great looking. I had really fuzzy blonde hair on my legs, yeah too much hair doesn't look great either. Teddy bear legs anyone?

My DD14 shaves her legs almost every day! It seems important for her and her friends to not have any regrowth at all. :crazy:

I think she started in about year 7 so aged 12.

She uses a plastic razor, shaving cream and then goes crazy with the body butter afterwards,

She started having laser on her underarms and upper lip (she has quite dark hair). from about a year ago. Same or cheaper than waxing and even though it might take longer to be 'permanent' due to hormones we do notice it doesn't grow back as quick and less grows back each time.

Are they really? Have you used an old one so you can compare to your new one? The one I have is about 15 years old I think, and it's so painful! I love the result though, so if the new ones are really that much better, maybe I should invest.

Fruitmincepies

Even blonde hairs can be not so great looking. I had really fuzzy blonde hair on my legs, yeah too much hair doesn't look great either. Teddy bear legs anyone?

Agree, but I can certainly get away with more regrowth than someone with dark hairs.

Are they really? Have you used an old one so you can compare to your new one? The one I have is about 15 years old I think, and it's so painful! I love the result though, so if the new ones are really that much better, maybe I should invest.

I promise they have! The first one I guess I used ( rarely) in the early 90s and it was torture. I would struggle to get one calf done at a time.

The next one, I got some time in the 2000s, it is still going strong and is on the very low side of painful. I have no problem removing all hair in one session.

Then I treated myself a couple of years ago to a more expensive one that promised to be gentler and it really is. Added benefits are that it is cordless and waterproof. I bought the second from the top of the line. The top of the line has an attachment for facial hair. I would class mine as mildly annoying and certainly not painful.

Jane Jetson: Big toe gang here too. Top of foot too?

Apparently means good heart health - so as ugly as it is I am happy to shave the buggers off every once and a while.

I'd be worried about getting a skin infection, and ingrown hairs.

I've gotten about as many ingrowns shaving as waxing. I think your skin is either prone to them or it isn't.

Jane Jetson: Big toe gang here too. Top of foot too?

Apparently means good heart health - so as ugly as it is I am happy to shave the buggers off every once and a while.

Really?! That's excellent news for this gross little hobbit.

How do you all afford waxing appointments and laser sessions? A razor and soap is so much cheaper.

The laser sessions are periodically 50% off and I just buy multiple treatments. They offer legs underarms & bikini together for example. Even if you are naturally tanned like me, you only need to go every 2-3 months. It's every 6 weeks to start with, but I found it really economical and the pain was not bad.

You can also ask them to adjust the setting if you are sensitive at the time of the appointment. Apparently you are more sensitive around menstruation time.

Advertisement