IGNORED

Girls body hair removal

Lou

What is the “norm” these days?

13 yo DD helped herself to my razor blade this morning & dry shaved her legs. So now she has a fair bit of skin irritation!

When do other girls start shaving legs? And what method?

I had considered an electric shaver but not sure she can wait to next birthday (September). To be fair she does play netball, but I don’t think her leg hair is that noticeable, and I have noticed the start of under arm hair too. I don’t think other girls on her team shave their legs yet but I can have a quiet word to other mums on Saturday.

Many thanks in advance!

Lou :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paddlepop

• amdirel

• Froyo

• banyan

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be guided by what she wants, and what seems reasonable. I think it's fine for a 13yo to choose to shave her legs. She's obviously going to do it so show her the safer way to do it and give her her own razor. I'm surprised that she doesn't have much underarm hair. My 11yo DD is shaving hers, mainly because her BO was getting bad despite deodorant, and it's improved with no hair now. When she expresses interest in shaving her legs I'll show her how to do it. I rarely shave my legs so she knows that it's fine to have hairy legs.

My DD started with waxing at a beautician. I convinced her to do this so at least we only had to worry about it once a month or so. Sometimes she would use the at home wax strips. She's also used my epilator sometimes.

She was happy with that when she was a younger teen but now she's a bit older and having hair free legs is more important to her, she is sick of the regrowth between waxes and has started shaving. I just buy her the disposable ones and she shaves in the shower.

The new generation epilators are so much gentler. Our teen uses this. Much cheaper than waxing at a beautician and longer lasting than shaving with non of the rough grow back. I love my Braun Silk Epil. It is cordless and can even be used in the shower.

DD12 is tanned with blonde leg hair and has not started shaving her legs yet. DD is a swimmer so she's started removing her underarms and bikini line, but she's not very consistent and is comfortable swimming with hairy underarms.

We have a wax pot at home and I wax her underarms and bikini line whenever she asks which is maybe every 3-4 weeks or so.

My DD started shaving around age 13 - I let her decide when she wanted to do it. She resisted as long as possible as it didn't bother her having hairy legs etc, but her 'friends' were pressuring her to 'not be gross' (they aren't her 'friends' any more). When she was ready I showed her what to do and off she went. She isn't terribly diligent about it though :lol: She is about to turn 15.

I've also taken her for a couple of waxing sessions prior to beach holidays etc but she prefers shaving.

I have agreed to take her for laser hair removal when her hormones settle down.

I think let her decide when she is ready and support her however she needs.

I was in a school performance when I was 11. My mum refused to let me shave, but I was so anxious about it. I ended up trying to do it in secret with a plastic razor I found. I also dry shaved and took half the skin off my calves. I wore stockings for the performance, but wish mum had just helped me. Its a sore memory for me and one I will not be repeating with my own daughter.

DD started removing underarm hair due to ballet/dance expectations when she was about 13. She initially used depilatory cream, then moved on to an electric razor now regular razors.

She has never shaved her legs (is now 15) and doesn't care at all that her legs are quite hairy and other girls are smooth-legged.

How do you all afford waxing appointments and laser sessions? A razor and soap is so much cheaper.

DD was going to a cheapy mall beautician that had discounted treatments for school students. Like $18 or something.

How do you all afford waxing appointments and laser sessions? A razor and soap is so much cheaper.

I just checked laser clinics and underarms area is 12 dollars and Brazilian + underarms is 29 dollars. Cheaper and more hygienic than wax.

All but a couple of my underarm hairs disappeared after just 2 treatments ( that was back in the day when they would whack it up to the highest setting you can tolerate). With fair skin and NOT blonde/gray hair most will see a huge improvement after 3 sessions.

From the time they were 11 or so I've told both DDs that if they want to remove their hair, just ask me and I'll show them how to use a razor, but that I'm pretty useless with the bikini line (never really done mine) or wax so they'd have to go beautician if they wanted to do that. I also said no pressure, it's up to you what you do with your hair. I shave my pits and legs (and, uh, big toes) but they don't have to.

DD1 (13) is very feminist and refuses to touch her impressive growth of underarm hair (or her faint blonde leg hair), a stance which I've quite truthfully told her I fully respect. DD2 (11) is more beauty-oriented so we'll see what happens there when it happens (soon, from the look of her). Up to her.

My mother was really weird and very angry about me shaving, so I did it with Dad's razor in secret and hacked up my legs quite a bit. As a result it's one of those things - like the length of their hair and whether they wear makeup or get piercings - where I feel the girls get full body autonomy and I can just butt out.

Guest BusbyWilkes

While I acknowledge that you need the money upfront for laser, I don’t think it would work out massively more expensive with what razors cost over a lifetime (plus the environmental impact).

We bought a 10 session pass at a place others had recommended. On sale was $295. That has done bikini and underarms with some sessions left over. She’s now considering if she wants to do lower leg or not worry.

If I could afford laser I'd be having it done to myself, not permanently removing DD's hair when she's still a child and might not want it permanently gone.

Which is why I specifically said when they're old enough.

Laser hasn't been more expensive than waxing, and my legs and pits are now extremely low maintenance. I can go months without needing to do anything.

Shaving isn't a practical option for me as I have pale skin and dark body hair which results in visible stubble within a day.

I got in huge trouble from my mum at 12/13 for shaving my legs. She made me feel absolutely awful and I have never really let go of that experience. Thinking about it now, she is the only person who has ever really body shamed me. I never want to do that to my kids.

So anyway, I would support her and give her the tools necessary to do it safely. I think 13 is a common age to want to do this, and there's more harm to be done by banning it. I've always just shaved and never had any issues.

Jane Jetson: Big toe gang here too. Top of foot too?

Only a little, but my *goodness* the number of really long hairs that proliferate behind and above my knees. They grow like wildfire!

Also mole hair plucking here, too...

Jane Jetson: Big toe gang here too. Top of foot too?

Only a little, but my *goodness* the number of really long hairs that proliferate behind and above my knees. They grow like wildfire!

Also mole hair plucking here, too...

Ugh moles... I have a couple on the back of my legs slightly above the knee - ie where I can't possibly see... damn things grow long and dark. I forget about them until I remember by which point they are super long and super embarrassing...

Advertisement